Shopify Transaction Fee - Refunded Order

EIKA_Swimwear
2 0 0

Situation:

Order was placed by customer. Seller was able to receive payment and fulfill the item. However, item needs to be replaced / returned so it has been done so physically and refund was given. However, there's no option to undo the fulfillment.

Will Shopify still charge for refunded orders?

0 Likes
Elisa4
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
7 0 1

Hey,

Whenever you issue a refund or cancel an order Shopify automatically marks the transaction as disputed. What this means is any transaction fee you would have occurred will be cancelled. 

If you've already been billed for the month and paid the transaction fee, you'll get a credit on your account in the amount of the transaction fee. 

So no, we don't charge for refunded orders! :)

Hope this helps! 

0 Likes
nancyspring
1 0 0

I know that this thread contains old info (2014) and changes just occurred to Shopify refund policy.  Hopefully y'all can update by answering this: 

Now, for partially or fully refunded orders, Shopify KEEPS their transaction fee.  Is this the same now on CANCELLED orders?  ie A customer just ordered, then requested a complete change on it:  different item, different price, different shipping address (across the country now $.)  The simplest action would be to cancel the whole order and allow him start over. BUT if we do, do we end up paying you guys twice in this scenario?

Thanks! -N

@Elisa4 wrote:

Hey,

Whenever you issue a refund or cancel an order Shopify automatically marks the transaction as disputed. What this means is any transaction fee you would have occurred will be cancelled. 

If you've already been billed for the month and paid the transaction fee, you'll get a credit on your account in the amount of the transaction fee. 

So no, we don't charge for refunded orders! :)

Hope this helps! 

0 Likes
KT4Bama
1 0 0

So, I am curious if this is still the case. I had a customer place a large order with my company and within the same day, cancel that order and place another order for the exact same items using a discount code they had received. I was charged the transaction fees for both orders and am trying to figure out how I go about not being charged when in fact I still had the same exact customer order the same exact product in the same exact day. Hoping I can find out some helpful information and some information on how to keep this from happening as we continue forward.

Thanks,

K

0 Likes
wozix
1 0 1

Can someone please confirm this? Will Shopify still charge their fee for cancelled orders? What about payment pending orders where offline payment was used?

Thanks.

CAT18
Tourist
4 0 1

I’m aware this thread is older however seems like the problem persist among vendors.  A client attempted to purchase an item on my online store and they were all immediately cancelled by signified marking the orders cancelled. I contacted Shopify support to make sure the clients card would not be charged even though the orders were marked cancelled, and that the funds won’t go through, which would also cost me fees. I was assured being they were marked cancelled the client won’t be charged and it may take a few days to see that. 
two days later the client was charged, and I was paid. This caused issues where now I had to refund the client, and Shopify isnt refunding me 241 dollars for processing fees that would normally be paid if this sale wasn’t cancelled by them. 
There was no sale and I confirmed this 24 hours later with support, not once but twice. 
Customer service is unhelpful, they keep directing me to get terms of service  which doesn’t apply to this issue. they aren’t responding to my emails requesting a supervisor contact me. The response was abrupt, unhelpful and very frustrating. 
This is unacceptable and unprofessional. I have products into the thousands and if this is how Shopify is going to handle situations like these it’s very costly.
I went above and beyond to make sure this wouldn’t happen. I am due a refund and some professionalism. 

0 Likes