Solved

Should I trust a Shopify Agent with access to my store?

Modico
Explorer
50 3 12

Hello Everyone

A "Shopify Agent" has contacted me, he gave me some advice. Now he wants to help me with a little coding probleme. He send me a request for acces to my store. Should I give him permission? He has a Gmail mail and his name is John. He showed me his Account too and showed me that there stands /personal in the url which you can see in the picture below (I cutted out everything but the search bar and also the numbers because I dont want to leak some kind of information of his. Can I trust him?

IMG_0454.jpeg

Accepted Solutions (5)

HazilStudiosNYC
Shopify Partner
112 18 24

This is an accepted solution.

Hi Modico,

If he "requested" access this means he's coming from Shopify's partner network and generally can be trusted.
I would check if they requested only access to the theme and code. 
Also, ask him to do the changes to a copy of the theme so you can always go back to how it was before. They will probably do this anyway.

Let me know if all worked out.

Best,
Flo  

Flo | Co-Founder and CEO; Hazil Studios
- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
- Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
- Want fast help? Check outour live chat

View solution in original post

HazilStudiosNYC
Shopify Partner
112 18 24

You could also ask him to commit the changes to GitHub.

This way you could track and verify the changes he is making to the theme.

If it's larger changes he might already be using Github for it.

HazilStudiosNYC
Shopify Partner
112 18 24

Tell your developer to connect the theme via Github. It's an option under add theme (see image).
Screenshot 2023-06-21 at 11.06.44 AM.png

He can then add you to his github repository (you will need your own free github account to be added).

Long story short, you don't need to install anything. He should know what you mean when you tell him to "add you to the github repo(sitory) he's making the changes to".

Rick
Shopify Staff
946 89 147

Hi @Modico 

Thanks for reaching out here for help.

I understand you were recently contacted by someone who says they are a Shopify agent and they wish to access your store to help with a coding problem. Well done for being diligent and asking for advice here first - it shows you are cautious and careful with your store which is great to see.

It's always important to be cautious when giving anyone access to your Shopify store, especially if you don't know them personally. While it's certainly possible that this person who contacted you is legitimate and can help you with your coding problem, there are people who can try to scam people and gain access to a store for dishonest reasons.

Can you confirm what they meant by 'Shopify Agent'? If they are claiming to be Shopify staff it would be a red flag, as genuine Shopify staff would not contact you out of the blue like this to help with a coding problem. Perhaps they mean they are a Shopify Partner, and do this sort of work for people who request their services? If they are a Shopify Partner, then they would be requesting collaborator access via their Partner dashboard. 

In general, I would usually recommend avoiding hiring anyone who has contacted you randomly via some form of unsolicited contact method such as email. If you do decide to give this person access to your store, then as @HazilStudiosNYC has suggested make sure that you only give them the level of access that they need to solve your problem, and be sure to back your theme up first. You should also revoke their access once the problem has been resolved.

If you are not comfortable giving someone unsolicited access to your store, consider hiring a professional Shopify developer to help you with your coding problem. You can find qualified professionals on the Shopify Experts marketplace here. There may also be others here in the Shopify Community who can lend a hand, so feel free to share your coding issues here!

Rick | Shopify 
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Rick
Shopify Staff
946 89 147

Thanks for getting back @Modico 

It's generally not recommended to give unsolicited individuals access to your store, especially if you don't know them personally or haven't actually requested any help.

If their email address is shopifyagent@gmail.com then it's possible that they are trying to impersonate a Shopify support agent, but it's to know for sure unless they explicitly suggested this.

If you are unsure about the legitimacy of the person who contacted you, it's best to err on the side of caution and not give them access to your store. Instead, it might be best to consider hiring a professional Shopify developer or consultant to help you with your coding problem.

I can see that @HazilStudiosNYC has suggested a possible workaround involving Github - this might be a better option all round, as it would avoid having to give them access to your Shopify store at all.

Rick | Shopify 

Replies 17 (17)

HazilStudiosNYC
Shopify Partner
112 18 24

Hi Modico,

If he "requested" access this means he's coming from Shopify's partner network and generally can be trusted.
I would check if they requested only access to the theme and code. 
Also, ask him to do the changes to a copy of the theme so you can always go back to how it was before. They will probably do this anyway.

Let me know if all worked out.

Best,
Flo  

Modico
Explorer
50 3 12

Hey @HazilStudiosNYC 

I have made already made a Copy of my theme and downloaded it to my desktop, but I'm going to ask him if I could just send him Copy and sends the fixed version back.

Thanks for your reply!

HazilStudiosNYC
Shopify Partner
112 18 24

You could also ask him to commit the changes to GitHub.

This way you could track and verify the changes he is making to the theme.

If it's larger changes he might already be using Github for it.

Modico
Explorer
50 3 12

Should I download Github in the Shopify App Store? And then give him permission for my Github App only? Or how does that work?

HazilStudiosNYC
Shopify Partner
112 18 24

Tell your developer to connect the theme via Github. It's an option under add theme (see image).
Screenshot 2023-06-21 at 11.06.44 AM.png

He can then add you to his github repository (you will need your own free github account to be added).

Long story short, you don't need to install anything. He should know what you mean when you tell him to "add you to the github repo(sitory) he's making the changes to".

Modico
Explorer
50 3 12

Thank you very much Im going to try that.

jordanholmes
Shopify Expert
152 28 31

Sounds weird to me.

What is a 'Shopify Agent'? Why is he showing you an 'accounts.shopify.com' url?

If you are not 100% sure then don't accept. I would not until you find out more

Jordan Holmes
Shopify Expert and Ruby on Rails Developer
Shopify Partner Directory
Modico
Explorer
50 3 12

Hey @jordanholmes 

Yeah sounds weird to me too, also with the Gmail mail. I am probably going to find another way to fix my problem.

Thanks for your Reply

Rick
Shopify Staff
946 89 147

Hi @Modico 

Thanks for reaching out here for help.

I understand you were recently contacted by someone who says they are a Shopify agent and they wish to access your store to help with a coding problem. Well done for being diligent and asking for advice here first - it shows you are cautious and careful with your store which is great to see.

It's always important to be cautious when giving anyone access to your Shopify store, especially if you don't know them personally. While it's certainly possible that this person who contacted you is legitimate and can help you with your coding problem, there are people who can try to scam people and gain access to a store for dishonest reasons.

Can you confirm what they meant by 'Shopify Agent'? If they are claiming to be Shopify staff it would be a red flag, as genuine Shopify staff would not contact you out of the blue like this to help with a coding problem. Perhaps they mean they are a Shopify Partner, and do this sort of work for people who request their services? If they are a Shopify Partner, then they would be requesting collaborator access via their Partner dashboard. 

In general, I would usually recommend avoiding hiring anyone who has contacted you randomly via some form of unsolicited contact method such as email. If you do decide to give this person access to your store, then as @HazilStudiosNYC has suggested make sure that you only give them the level of access that they need to solve your problem, and be sure to back your theme up first. You should also revoke their access once the problem has been resolved.

If you are not comfortable giving someone unsolicited access to your store, consider hiring a professional Shopify developer to help you with your coding problem. You can find qualified professionals on the Shopify Experts marketplace here. There may also be others here in the Shopify Community who can lend a hand, so feel free to share your coding issues here!

Rick | Shopify 

Modico
Explorer
50 3 12

Dear @Rick 

He didnt say that he's from Shopify but in his email it says: .shopifyagent@gmail.com and he also first gave me some advice and then asked him for help with this probleme. He's awaiting my answer right now. But I dont really know what to do. Because he could be a really nice guy and just try to help me or try to scamm me. If I would only give him acces to my theme and coding and would have a saved copy of the theme on my computer nothing really could happen? Isnt that true?

Rick
Shopify Staff
946 89 147

Thanks for getting back @Modico 

It's generally not recommended to give unsolicited individuals access to your store, especially if you don't know them personally or haven't actually requested any help.

If their email address is shopifyagent@gmail.com then it's possible that they are trying to impersonate a Shopify support agent, but it's to know for sure unless they explicitly suggested this.

If you are unsure about the legitimacy of the person who contacted you, it's best to err on the side of caution and not give them access to your store. Instead, it might be best to consider hiring a professional Shopify developer or consultant to help you with your coding problem.

I can see that @HazilStudiosNYC has suggested a possible workaround involving Github - this might be a better option all round, as it would avoid having to give them access to your Shopify store at all.

Rick | Shopify 

HazilStudiosNYC
Shopify Partner
112 18 24

Feeling famous for the callout 😍

Modico
Explorer
50 3 12

Hey @Rick 

I suggested Github to him but he didnt reply since that. So I think this is it. If I want like professional help like 1 hour of work where someone would fix all the things that I want. How much would that cost and where is the safest and best provider for that?

HazilStudiosNYC
Shopify Partner
112 18 24

I think you're at the perfect place. Here everyone of us Shopify Experts (I believe) is officially partnered with Shopify. 🙂

Feel free to send me or any other expert in here a message with your requirements.

Modico
Explorer
50 3 12

Hey @HazilStudiosNYC 

I couldn't really fix my problem so could you help me with my problem (1 big issue and 1 little issue? And how much do you want in terms of money? Should I just put my problem in here or are we going to text in a 1 on 1 chat like telegram or something like that?

Modico

Rick
Shopify Staff
946 89 147

Hi @Modico 

The cost of hiring a Shopify Expert can vary depending on the scope of the project and the level of expertise required. When hiring a Shopify Expert, it's important to choose someone who has the skills and experience to meet your specific needs and who you feel comfortable working with.

You can browse the Experts Marketplace and filter by price range, language spoken, expertise, and various other helpful criteria. You can also read reviews and ratings from other merchants who have worked with the expert to help you make an informed decision. Before agreeing to the work you can also discuss the pricing involved, so there's great transparency involved in dealing with Shopify Experts via the Experts Marketplace.

Best of luck with everything - let me know if there's anything else I can help with!

Rick | Shopify 

Modico
Explorer
50 3 12

Thank you @Rick for your respons and for the information! I'm going to check that out.