Solved

Why does Shopify require the last four digits of my SSN?

sierra_warwick
Excursionist
22 0 7

Hello if anyone can answer my question that would be great. I understand shopify needs to identify who we are but why do I need to give the last 4 #'s of my SSN. This is not a number you want to give out incase someone steals it; They could literally try to become you just by getting a number.

Accepted Solution (1)

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 979

This is an accepted solution.

@sierra_warwick 

An SSN is required in order to verify your identity and to ensure applicable earnings are reported to the IRS which Shopify is required to do by law in the United States. The requirement for your SSN can not be bypassed if you wish to use Shopify Payments. The information you submit through Shopify Payments is secure and will not be accessible to anyone but our Payments team. 

Let me know if you have any other questions. 

Trevor | Community Moderator @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

View solution in original post

Replies 2 (2)

Nick_Marketing
Shopify Partner
1487 336 462

It's a general requirement for confirmation purposes.

When you set up Shopify Payments, you need to enter your tax details. All businesses need to submit a tax ID. If you are a sole proprietor and don't have a tax ID, then you can submit your Social Insurance Number (SIN) or the last four digits of your Social Security Number (SSN) instead.

If the tax ID that you submit is not valid, then you have to update it. When you're required to update your tax details, you receive an email from Shopify and a notification appears on the home page of your Shopify admin.

https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/payments/shopify-payments/configuring-shopify-payments

If you have specific questions, reach out to Shopify support directly.
Contact page link: https://help.shopify.com/en/questions#/contact/email

Nick | Ecommerce & Marketing Technology Consultant | Toronto, CANADA
- For consulting work availability, please send me a Private Message or submit a ✍️Contact Form.
- For FREE Shopify Tutorials, Subscribe to my YouTube channel (▶️ Ecommerce TV).

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 979

This is an accepted solution.

@sierra_warwick 

An SSN is required in order to verify your identity and to ensure applicable earnings are reported to the IRS which Shopify is required to do by law in the United States. The requirement for your SSN can not be bypassed if you wish to use Shopify Payments. The information you submit through Shopify Payments is secure and will not be accessible to anyone but our Payments team. 

Let me know if you have any other questions. 

Trevor | Community Moderator @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog