Starting a New Business? Here’s What to Expect!

Shawna_Jeneen
Tourist
10 0 3

Nothing written in this article will help your business become successful. Long story short, without money you won’t make money. You’ve gotta have money, big money to buy traffic. Without visitors to your site, you won’t make sales, and Google Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest all cost. Social media sites will not allow you to use their platform for free to sell your products. You gotta buy your way in. Anyone who says otherwise is a liar. I’ve been selling for 4 years and I’m just now figuring this out. Truth is,  my store is a flop and most of everyone here store will flop too if you don’t have money to make money. 

0 Likes
Mad_Modeler
Pathfinder
136 1 24

Hi

Nowhere does the opening article say that building a business online will be easy, or an overnight success, granted it also doesn't say that it will require some monetary investment either.

As you point out, the reality is that is does take time to grow a business, but I disagree that you need loads of cash in order to succeed, you may need some, and you will definitely need to push some of your profits into marketing on social media, however a lot of social media marketing can be done for free, or with minimal investment.

My advice would be to stay away from paid apps, the get rich quick video's on Youtube, and all those that crop up in your feed on Facebook.

I am two years in to my website, my main focus for marketing is local, no more than 50 - 100 mile radius of my brick and mortar shop, my sales are no fantastic, but I am starting to see some regularly on a weekly basis.

Shopify as it is out of the box, is not very SEO friendly, so your first goal should be to make better in that way, that can be done relatively cheaply, Google actually push out video's very regularly on Youtube for free.

Some say that they are not that important, but improve your meta titles and meta descriptions for each page, the title should be about 70 characters long, the descriptions at least 250 words.

Also check your URL handles, if you leave Shopify to allocate them, they will be given a number, they need to be your product titles, improve your Snippets, edit them, so there are no orphan words, or worst still orphaned sentences.

Make sure your site is easy to navigate, get people to check it out for you, (not friends or relatives, they will say it's great, even if it's not).

It's hard work running a bricks and mortar business, it's even harder running an online one, I'm trying to do both!

0 Likes
Mad_Modeler
Pathfinder
136 1 24

The thing to remember is that despite what you read, Shopify is not a goose that will lay the golden egg.

An awful lot will depend on what you intend to use Shopify for, is E Commerce, a magazine or simply an info site.

Whichever platform you decide on, it will be an awful lot of work

0 Likes

thanks for sharing.....

0 Likes

When starting out, your product or service has to be at least good if not great. It must be differentiated in some meaningful and important way from the offerings of your competition. Everything else follows from this key principle. Don’t drag your feet on getting your product out to market, since early customer feedback is one of the best ways to help improve your product..... Thank you for sharing your valuable information. It is very useful for us, Please visit below us:- 

Kamagra https://apothekemed.com/
0 Likes
Lilith
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
562 70 155

@ryendentkhan Thanks for taking the time to read the post! I'm glad that the information is helpful!

Lilith | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Lilith
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
562 70 155

@ralfziegler Very true! Product choice or offerings play a significant role in success for any business. Thanks for sharing!

0 Likes
Stacy_Zhuk
Shopify Partner
5 0 2

Thanks for sharing your experience.
I would like to add that when coming up with an idea to start an online business, you will face numerous elements that need to be comprehensively considered.
These decisions include defining the target audience, presenting the business’ unique value proposition, creating the product range, choosing partners and setting up a supply chain, deciding on delivery methods and more. All these considerations form the initial budget, which becomes decisive for the e-commerce business launch.
One of the main expenses in this budget should be dedicated to e-commerce website development and support.

I am a Co-founder and the Business Development Director at Whidegroup with a decade of experience in e-commerce consulting and project management for small and medium-sized enterprises.
0 Likes
kugugibi
3 0 0

Great information, it will really help me. Thank you.

Webmaster, Seo kugugibi Blog site that produces great content in Turkey
0 Likes
Lilith
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
562 70 155

@Stacy_Zhuk thanks for adding your comment. Different businesses will require different pre-launch work. Thank you very much for mentioning some of the aspects that some businesses should consider.

0 Likes