Can Shopify issue store credit instead of refunds?

Not applicable
1 0 0

Is it possible to issue a store credit instead of a refund? 

Replies 5 (5)

Kimi
Shopify Staff
1511 169 258

Hi there!

At this stage, you can only offer store credits on your online store via a third-party store credit app. There's a few apps on our Shopify App store here that can help you achieve this, however this one is a popular option.

Just a note that these apps are made by developers outside of Shopify. Because of this, if you'd like to know more about the app, you can reach out to the app's support team as they are best equipped to answer any app-specific queries.

If you'd like a free and non-app alternative however, you can instead issue a gift card for your customers for the amount of their refund. You can check our help centre document here for a guide on how you can issue gift cards to customers. The gift cards would then act as a store credit, as customers would be given a code that they can input on checkout to pay their order using their gift card.

I understand that being able to issue store credits is important for your store though, so I'll pass on this feedback to our developers, so that we can look at ways on how we can improve our platform. Any new updates to Shopify will be listed in our changelog here.

It's great to see that you're looking at adding the store credit feature as a part of your store's return and refund process! Issuing a store credit is a really great way to grow customer retention. I'll leave a couple of resources for you for further information on this, as well as strategies for customer retention:

Kimi | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

jpack84
Explorer
66 2 23

I was looking to do the same thing.  A solution i found is a bit complicated but it worked.  

1.  Figure out total for store credit

2.  Go to products and click on gift card.

3. Create a store credit gift card.

4. Create variant for price.

5. Save the product and go back to order.

6. Edit order and remove product.

7. Add new product by searching for and selecting the store credit and the appropriate amount.

8. Save the order and it should give you a option to fulfill the order and it will issue the gift card.

Hopefully this helps you. 

Kimi
Shopify Staff
1511 169 258

Thanks so much for sharing your workaround, @jpack84! This will be super helpful for other merchants wanting to offer store credits. Appreciate you detailing those steps for us!

Kimi | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

HilaB
Shopify Partner
47 0 4

Hey there!

I'm Hila from the Rise.ai team. 

As Kimi suggested, we offer just this! Rise.ai is gift card and loyalty solution, that among many other features, allow the option to easily issue store credit refunds through your Shopify admin. 

You can learn more about this feature in this video-

You can visit our app page to learn more about Rise and get in touch with us. 

Hope this helped!

Hila

twoplusone
Tourist
6 0 5

Sounds great but fee structure is not practical for a small business! This is a core functionality that should be part of Shopify.