subdomain not connecting

ekrom399
Tourist
10 0 1

I recently tested adding a subdomain to my website through my 3rd party hosting provider via its cpanel function. 

In this case I added blog to the root address, so it appears as blog.comerciola.com whereas my website is comerciola.com. However it returns an error when I load it. Can anyone explain what steps to take to make it work?

Reply 1 (1)
Moira
Shopify Staff
491 72 81

Hey @ekrom399,

You can connect the subdomain from your third-party provider account. Direct instructions for each provider may differ slightly, although I'll be happy to walk you through the standard procedure:

Change your CNAME Record:

In this procedure, you change the value of the host or alias to that of your subdomain. Depending on your third-party provider, how you enter your subdomain might change. For example, if your subdomain starts with www, then you might have to enter www, or www. with a dot (.) at the end. Use the existing entry as a guide, or follow your provider's instructions.

Important: You don't need to assign your subdomain an A record for Shopify even if you're using it as your primary domain.

To complete this procedure, you need to have the following information:

• Your login information for your third-party domain provider account
  • Your subdomain
  • The CNAME record for your subdomain shops.myshopify.com

Follow these Steps:

1) On your domain provider’s website, log in to your account.

2) Find the DNS settings or domain management area.

3) Do the following:

• In the Host or Alias field, enter the subdomain that you want to connect to your Shopify store.

• In the Type or Record Type field, enter CNAME.

• Point the CNAME record for your subdomain to shops.myshopify.com.

4) Save your changes.

Verify Subdomain

1) From your Shopify admin, go to Online Store > Domains.

2) To confirm that your subdomain is connected to your Shopify store, click Verify connection.

• It might take up to 48 hours for your domain to be verified. After it's verified, your domain is listed in the THIRD-PARTY DOMAINS section of the Domains page with the status Connected.

Note: If you need help with pointing your domain to your Shopify store, then contact your third-party provider’s support team. Shopify Support can't log in to your third-party domain account for you, even if you give your explicit permission.

Otherwise, how is everything else going with your website? Black Friday and Cyber Monday are around the corner! It's certainly a different event this year, however, we have a ton of handy resources to support you, including our guide on how to prepare for BFCM. Our most recent recorded workshops are also focused on different aspects of BFCM that you may be interested in watching!

Moira | Social Care @ Shopify
- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
- Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
- To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog