Tax Liability Due To Location Settings

Leeincolors
Visitor
1 0 1

When I open my home page of my Shopify profile, I am notified that "You may have a sales tax liability in 1 U.S. stateBased on your store’s data in Shopify and certain state requirements, you may need to start collecting sales tax in 1 state." Although, I know I do not qualify to register to charge taxes since I do not make enough money and I do not have a physical presence in any state yet. My account tells me I met the state requirement for tax collection in Florida since I added a location in my location settings. Although, this location is just my home address since I have Printify supply and fulfill all my orders, I do not physically handle the products in my home. The location settings will not allow me to remove this location since I do not have any other location provided, but that is because I do not physically have another location. Please let me know ASAP how I can fix this so that the tax liability notification will be removed.

Thank you,

LeeAnn

Replies 2 (2)

Nick
Shopify Staff (Retired)
4531 434 1025

Hi @Leeincolors,

Really good questions! Can I confirm is the physical address you have for the locations your home address or is it the address from Printify? If Printify is shipping the orders for you, that's where I think this might be coming up. There is a guide Shopify has on location here which you might find useful. If you are shipping from another location, this is why it might require you to keep it and why you're unable to remove it in your admin. 

In saying that, Printify have a whole guide for Understanding sales tax which might answer a lot of questions for you too! Section 5 discusses "How to Register and Collect Sales Tax". 

Shopify's guide on US tax settings might also be a helpful resource for you on this! 

Looking forward to hearing from you!

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

BorisProduction
Visitor
2 0 0

Did you manage to get this fixed somehow?