THIS WEBSITE HAS BEEN BLOCKED - Telstra Australia

Coffeebyross
Visitor
1 0 5

Hi Shopify Community,

We've been operating successfully for 2 years now on Shopify. In the last two weeks I've had customer after customer complain they cannot access the site order our coffee. They get the following message:

THIS WEBSITE HAS BEEN BLOCKED

We blocked this website because it may contain malicious content and could be harmful to your devices.

You haven't done anything wrong. We automatically block potentially dangerous website, We recommend

you leave inis website.
If you believe this website is safe, you can report this website as safe.

Many of my customers have reported the website as safe, with no luck. I've seen many people on here report similar issues. Hard to find a clear answer on how to resolve it. 

Hoping someone in Aus has had success resolving this with Shopify / Telstra

Replies 63 (63)

Don
Shopify Staff
2780 199 391

Hi there @Coffeebyross!

We have noticed some reports around the use of the Broadband Protect product offered by the Australian ISP Telstra that causes issues with accessing some stores with SSL certificates.

In order to address the issue you can either disable BroadBand Protect or change the DNS servers on your device away from Telstra's.

This is not an issue with Shopify or our SSL certificates we provide to domains.

All the best!

Don | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Tss1
Tourist
3 0 4

Don isn’t a user of Telstra…. Neither are we and have this issue. How can our customers stop being blocked by their Telstra?! Once they see that, they don’t trust our site! 
were losing customers every day. And have NO malware on our website. 

Sal16
Tourist
4 0 6

Shopify. The above is not a solution. It means any customer using Telstra Broadband currently trying to access our site is getting a notice saying our site has been blocked. Possibly due to the fact we are using a shared IP through Shopify??, Security Vendors are assuming our legitimate sites are phishing based on some other dodgy sites sharing this IP. Surely Shopfiy can assist your customers with this? It is not practical or possible to communicate to every customer trying to access our site to change their DNS. You need to be able lodge some kind of case on behalf of your customers? We are currently losing all possible Christmas sales due to this issue!

Don
Shopify Staff
2780 199 391

Hi there @Sal16!

Sorry to hear you're still having a hard time with this issue arising for customers of the Telstra ISP.

I understand that this is not ideal, and that you wish to resolve this in as short a timeline as possible.

This issue originates with Telstra and, as such, is not something we can provide support for from here in Shopify.

I'd advise you to address your concerns to that ISP, or to let your customers know that this is being caused by Telstra rather than Shopify.

You can reach out to Telstra using their contact page here

Don | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

umashopy
Visitor
1 0 1

Hi @Don ,

We are also having the same issue, our website doesn't work on Telstra network and we run some Facebook ads to which we are being flagged/commented as malicious website.

Any update from Shopify would be greatly appreciated. 

As @Sal16 mentioned do we share IP with other stores if yes, is it possible to change or ask for a dedicated IP for our stores ?

Regards,

Umashopy

chicibicki
Excursionist
19 0 13

Hi Don, we appreciate you taking the time to help us with this.

Over 44% of Australian homes use Telstra, that means 44% of our customer base cannot see our products, if this was a smaller ISP I could possibly let it go, but my family and half of my friends cannot see my shop and people on my facebook ads have been saying my account is malicious, which is unacceptable and damaging to my credibility.

This also means that 44% of potential customers of your Australian customers, us that own shopify stores, cannot see our stores. Telstra is not interested in speaking to website owners, only their own domestic customers. I spent hours on the phone with them being shifted from department to department until I was told that they couldn't help me as I wasn't their customer.

You can see that this is a huge problem for us and because of this I might have to investigate other online shopping platforms, which is a shame as I like the ease of use of Shopify. I don't want to exclusively use Etsy.

How do I lodge an official request for Shopify to speak to Telstra and clear this up for us? We have done nothing wrong and the issue is the trust that Telstra has with Shopify, our countries' leading Telco does not trust Shopify. I would really appreciate your help with this.

@Coffeebyross @Tss1 @Sal16 @umashopy @SimiaApparel @77paws @bpersonal11 @ojw000 have any of you found a solution? Or have you found another provider that is not Shopify that isn't blacklisted by Telstra?

chicibicki
Excursionist
19 0 13

Jesus, and you had to pay for that. If only I could get the right department, 7 days I can deal with. But I have a bunch of summer designs, australia day designs, valentines and mardi gras designs that I want to get loaded but it seems a bit pointless. 

chicibicki
Excursionist
19 0 13

I have done so much googling and on a whirlpool forum someone said to email abuse@telstra.com and explain the issue and its possibly DNS blocking. I have sent an email. I will keep you updated

chicibicki
Excursionist
19 0 13

oh awesome, I can't even email them from my domain, will have to go through gmail

"

claprdmxe22 rejected your message to the following email addresses:

abuse@telstra.com (abuse@telstra.com)
Your message wasn't delivered because the recipient's email provider rejected it.

claprdmxe22 gave this error:
Mail is unauthenticated and has been blocked. The sender must authenticate with both SPF and DKIM. IB716 i{913a0fca-d064-4fcc-a65c-eb89d5244476}"

SunsetPark
Visitor
2 0 2

Hi there, 

Was the issued fixed in the end?

Would be great to hear some feedback of anyone having any luck with Telstra 

chicibicki
Excursionist
19 0 13

yes i got it fixed by filling in the form I mentioned, also tweet them

bigmanReyan
Visitor
1 0 0

Hey @chicibicki 

Was this resolved? I am getting the same issue

chicibicki
Excursionist
19 0 13
Yes go to the link I posted a few times, its all good now
ABigStitch
Tourist
3 0 1

I'm also having this issue now! 😞 

TheCourthouseCo
Visitor
1 0 0

Ive got some great technical guys on the job and its not shopify but definately telstra (the old tesltra are so big we little guys don't matter storey sorry ) I never get into group chats but telstra wont do anything with out a crowd so lets keep building this list

SimiaApparel
Visitor
1 0 2

Had exactly the same thing happen to my page this week.  No clue how to get it fixed. Where I live Telstra is the only service which means no one can access my page.  

chicibicki
Excursionist
19 0 13

I got it fixed, at least i hope it is fixed, seems like Telstra unblocked me, its not a good look for shopify to be banned from Telstra, go to the link I provided and try it, although if i were trying it in bulk for multiple clients you just dont know if it will work

burrowshop_
Visitor
2 0 0

would you be able to send the link to this reply, I cant see your link up above? I've had this issue for a couple days now, neither company seems to care.

burrowshop_
Visitor
2 0 0

thanks mate appreciate it

WLA
Tourist
4 0 2

This link will resolve it. Report misuse of service - Telstra

Rick1969
Tourist
8 0 3

Yes I am not considering moving away from Shopify, great product but clearly by the responses from them above and via tech support, they simply don't care and not willing to assist in any way

Rick1969
Tourist
8 0 3

"All the best!"  seriously.    WOW So clearly Shopify don't care. Any help by anyone resolving this would be appreciated. My site visit number and sales have dramatically dropped423147605_2086085978427174_3804341343772410_n.png

chicibicki
Excursionist
19 0 13

yeah just go to the link i provided in other replies, fixed

Sal16
Tourist
4 0 6

Hi Coffee by ross, 

Did you manage to figure this one out? We are having the same issue. Contacted Shopify and they told me they had not received any other complaints?!!! Please let me know if managed to fix this. Seriously impacting our Christmas sales. Have reported the site as safe to the security vendors but don't know what else to do. Thanks, Lisa

Tss1
Tourist
3 0 4

We’re having the same issue. Has a developer look on our site and there’s no malware detected! Such bull! We’re losing sales because of this too! We have reached out to Telstra to remove us off their block list but were told it could take months? 

Sal16
Tourist
4 0 6

Hi Tss1, 

Have you contacted the security vendors to report a false positive?

Tss1
Tourist
3 0 4

Not sure how to do that! Any tips?

Sal16
Tourist
4 0 6

You need to run your website URL through here 

https://www.virustotal.com/gui/home/url

And then see which of the security vendors are marking your site as malicious. You then need to reach out to them individually, just google 'xxxx vendor name report false positive' and you should find somewhere on their individual sites to request a review of your url and report it as safe. Not sure how long it takes for them to review...can assume that they must receive millions of these requests. Telstra has totally shirked any ownership or initiative on their end, and have stated that they will not review unless the virus checker above is coming back as clean for all security vendors. My frustration is that this is really a Shopify issue but they are doing nothing to assist or acknowledge the issue.

SunsetPark
Visitor
2 0 2

Hey guys,

This is whole thing is soo crazy! I only noticed this today while I was on Telstra wifi! It's January and I'm reading posts from November! Imagine the sales we've lost!

Did anyone try this? Did it take long. Any positive outcomes?

Lisa 

77paws
Visitor
1 0 2

We are also experiencing the same problem with our customer who uses Telstra, this started to happen just this month.

bpersonal11
Visitor
1 0 2

Last night mine has done the same thing, I have emailed them but no replies as yet.. this is so annoying at this time of the year… 

ojw000
Visitor
1 0 0

Trying to set up a store but same thing is happening for my site.

odd part is the site is only getting the Telstra blocked message when using google chrome. Safari is works fine. Chrome will work when I disconnect from my home wifi (Telstra) and connect to my phone hotspot (also Telstra). safari is unaffected on any network. 

hesitant to continue with this domain if I can't resolve this. 

Brie_CosyQuest
Visitor
1 0 0

This happened to me today 😞 I only got my domain for my brand new online store 4 days ago. I am devastated. I submitted a request to Telstra to unblock, but not holding my breath. 

Hoping to just add my story to show support and pressure to rectify (I understand it may be Telstra, but if decent amount of vendors are affected surely Shopify would need to intervene on behalf or they will lose lots of sites). 

Thanks guys!

chicibicki
Excursionist
19 0 13

Twitter! I went on twitter, got an answer in 2 minutes. Go to this website https://service.telstra.com.au/customer/general/surveys/Report_misuse_of_service

Im doing it now

chicibicki
Excursionist
19 0 13

I tweeted Telstra and they replied in 2 minutes, go here https://service.telstra.com.au/customer/general/surveys/Report_misuse_of_service I have filled it in. Fingers crossed

MariahS
Visitor
1 0 0

Any luck? This is infuriating 

chicibicki
Excursionist
19 0 13

Yes it seems like Telstra have unblocked my site, go there, try it, good luck

PureMan
Visitor
3 0 0

hey how long did it take to be unblocked after reporting

WLA
Tourist
4 0 2
Hi, just a few short hours.
spage123
Visitor
1 0 0

Any luck in fixing this issue? Have noticed today that I'm having the exact same issue and Shopify have been no help. Have reported through the above form to Telstra. 

thechronmaster
Visitor
1 0 0

Thanks for posting all this info on this issue, i woke up to my website being blocked and had no idea how to fix it
I visited the link and submitted a form twice, how long does it take for them to remove the block?

chicibicki
Excursionist
19 0 13

Hey, they fixed it, following the link I provided, still its a bad look for shopify to not have this figured out

ABigStitch
Tourist
3 0 1

WLA
Tourist
4 0 2

Hi Coffeebyross and everyone,

I've had this exact issue for approximately 2 weeks now and it's been very frustrating indeed. Good news though, I finally got it fixed through Telstra. Below is a message from Telstra, fill in the form via the link and they'll fix it for you. 

"Fantastic. Thanks again for your patience, and the update. Others with the same problem can use the webform here - https://service.telstra.com.au/customer/general/surveys/Report_misuse_of_service - to raise with the team. Please let us know if there's anything else we need to address. Happy to help any way we can. - Matthew."

Rick1969
Tourist
8 0 3

Thanks, that worked for me and Telstra unblocked my site within 48hrs. THANKYOU

WLA
Tourist
4 0 2

You're welcome!! So glad I could help.

PureMan
Visitor
3 0 0

How long did it take to be fixed after submitting that form?

RiseBrand
Visitor
1 0 0

Cheers Nate, been having the same issue as everyone and just filled out my details on your website hopefully it can be fixed your doing Gods work.

Thanks, Noah

Linda1811
Visitor
2 0 0

I am having the exact same issues for my website! Has this issue been resolved yet?