Tracking inventory for custom products by only one varient type

bEEbEETLE
Visitor
2 0 1

Hi all, 

I've tried searching but can't seem to find the answer!

I am selling customised products, and one product I have has three varient types; Colour (4 choices), Design type (3 choices) and Number of sub-products (7 choices). This of course makes 84 variants for the listing, and price is affected by these variables.

Problem that I am having is that I need to be able to track the inventory for the overall number of each Colour only, not by the individual varients (the other varient types don't need to be tracked).

I am sure that there is an easy way to do this, but can't figure it out! Any help would be MUCH appreciated!

Thanks,

Lisa

Replies 5 (5)

productsync
Shopify Partner
740 38 159

Hi Lisa

Sounds like your variations are bundled products so you would need to bundle up each variation with the components so the inventory is then tracked correctly.

The way our system works is it recalculates the available inventory based on the components so if your main inventory is colour then it would always be set to that level. You would still have the sub products set up with inventory as well unless I misunderstand your setup.

Let me know if you would like to test out our app and can help you with it.

Regards

Tom

bEEbEETLE
Visitor
2 0 1

HI there, 

Thanks for your response, I appreciate it. I'm just a tiny craft business, so I can't justify the additional cost per month for an app.

I'm hoping for a solution within the current Shopify constraints 🙂

Lisa

productsync
Shopify Partner
740 38 159

Hey Lisa

You can set the stock to be just based on colour but the issue as you probably realise is it won't update other same colour variations. You could run a daily csv import after recalculating your inventory levels from sales and update all variations in bulk.

Regards

Tom

JessicaNoble
Visitor
3 0 1

Has anybody found the answer to this - I'm still having trouble with it 😞

FrustratedUser
Visitor
2 0 0

THis is a big problem with Shopify - I keep running into roadblocks with the app - Im thinking of switching from bigcommerce - but there I can track inventory by  either the main SKU or the variant but at least I get to decide how to track it without having  to add another clunky app:)