Transfer my domain from Shopify without payment: Account is not past due rather, inactive.

ebizmarket
4 0 0

Hello,

It seems Shopify requires payment for me to access my domain control panel and/or transfer. At least, this is where your online help pages have led me. My account is not past due but it is inactive.

Before I go any further, please walk me through the process which allows me to transfer my domain from Shopify without activating my store with a payment.

Thank you.

Replies 5 (5)

Victor
Shopify Staff
2422 225 517

Hi @ebizmarket,

Thank you for reaching out. If you store is closed and there are no outstanding invoices on the account, our support team should be able to grant you a brief trial period in order for you to access the store and transfer the domain away from Shopify and to a third-party domain host. This is only necessary is you purchased the domain directly via Shopify, or if you transferred the domain to Shopify while your store was online.

You can contact our support team via the Help Center, who will be able to assist once you have been authenticated on the store. Please note that if you still have outstanding invoices on the store, you will be required to pay them before being able to access the Shopify admin again.

Please let me know if you have any issues or if you're having difficulty contacting Shopify support.

Victor | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

ebizmarket
4 0 0

Thank you Victor.

Are you able or willing to provide a (an) Shopify legal contact?

My most sincere thanks.

Victor
Shopify Staff
2422 225 517

Hi @ebizmarket,

May I ask why you require this contact? If you can tell me more about your issue I'd be happy to help, but you are free to send an email to legal@shopify.com with your query.

ebizmarket
4 0 0

Victor,

Unless I babysit my email all day or during the entire "temporary trial period", I'll never successfully point my domain away from Shopify (without buying a plan that I have no intention of using) because Shopify support via email simply isn't swift enough. I've tried many combinations of the CName and A Record yet none have worked. And today the "temporary trial period" has expired -yet again.

I think it prudent to inform Shopify subscribers about the difficulties involved when repointing a domain name without a Shopify plan. It isn't exactly free. The amount of time I've dedicated to this issue alone pales in comparison to the $26 plan Shopify suggests to circumvent the difficulties of pointing my domain name away from Shopify, without a plan.

I thank you for the follow-up.

Victor
Shopify Staff
2422 225 517

Hi @ebizmarket,

Okay, I see. I am sorry to hear that you've not received prompt communication from our support team about this issue and I can appreciate your frustration with how long this is taking to resolve. I would recommend contacting our support team again, although this time you can opt to speak with a member of our team over live chat rather than email. This will allow you to speak with a member of our support team in real time and they can help walk you through the process, rather than relying on email communication. 

Please let me know if you're experiencing any problems reaching our team via live chat.