Can I change the domain name of my Shopify store?

raeesa
Tourist
4 0 1

Hi,

I am a shopify user and i have created a shopify store for my business expansion. I have built this store but now i want to change its domain name. So i need an expert opinion on this either it is possible for me to change the domain name or not? Please guide me about this.

Best regards, 

Replies 2 (2)

AvadaCommerce
Shopify Partner
3879 839 951

HI @raeesa 

Thank you for your question.

You can change the domain that customers use to visit your store, you can add a custom domain, and then set your custom domain as the primary domain. To learn more about adding a custom domain, please refer to this link.

After adding a custom domain you need to verify that your domain has a Connected status on the Domains page in your Shopify admin. It might take up to 48 hours for your domain to be connected.

After that, follow these steps below to change your primary domain

1. From your Shopify admin, go to Settings > Domains.

2. In the Primary domain section, click Change primary domain.

3. Select the domain that you want to set as your primary domain.

4. Click Save.

After you change your primary domain, the new primary domain is displayed to customers who visit your online store.

I hope that this answer would be helpful.

banned

Luna
Shopify Staff
712 67 108

Hey, @raeesa.

Welcome to the Community forum! Thanks for bringing your question to us here. I'm happy to provide you with some suggestions. 

For context, when you first create your Shopify store, we ask that you give your store a name that is used to create your .myshopify.com URL. Once the account has been created, there is no way to change that unless you create a new account. 

The good news is that you can purchase a custom domain name from us for roughly $14/year to replace the .myshopify.com URL. Feel free to read more about this in our help document: Buying a domain through Shopify. Domains purchased through Shopify are registered for one year and can be renewed annually. Once you purchase a domain, it will become your primary domain. You will only use your previous .myshopify.com URL when logging into your account and in the browser address bar while you are logged into the Shopify Admin. Your customers will no longer see it once you enable your custom domain. 

Would this option work for you? In the meantime, I'd love to hear more about your business. How has everything been going with your store set up so far?

Talk soon,  

Luna | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog