Trying to create a semi-custom product

Abroad_Modern
4 0 0

Hi there!

I have looked and looked online for a solution to a seemingly universal product need. I am selling salt and pepper shaker sets and from the product page, I need my customers to choose one salt shaker from a list of available salt shaker variants and one pepper shaker from a list of available pepper shaker variants (ideally, it would sync with current inventory to prevent over selling). I see this all of the time on other retail sites. Why is it so hard to find an app with this exact capability. I did try to set it up though the Infinite Options app, however it was less than intuitive and when I tried to choose and image for a swatch, the entire option set disappeared, poof.

Obviously, I know that I could make a variant for every possible combo, and then photograph every. possible. combo, but jeezus people, I'm just one woman...

Thanks in advance.

Greer

Replies 9 (9)

JHKCreate
Shopify Expert
3571 639 916

Hi @Abroad_Modern 

Would you mind sharing an example of how you'd like this to be implemented so we can suggest a solution? Cheers!

Did we solve your issue? Like & Mark As Solution to help the community
Should you need any direct help: contact@jhkcreate.com

Learn more about us: jhkcreate.com
Abroad_Modern
4 0 0

Thanks for your reply, @JHKCreate 

I sketched something out instead of searching for a site that replicates the idea. It would be something akin to this, in the case of a product that needs buyer to select multiple components to complete purchase:

IMG_0033.jpg

I'm not married to the clickable image and title buttons, but it does seem easiest for customer. So long as the pictures of the individual shakers are on the page and link to product name in a drop down menu, I'd be fine with that as well.

Another similar need would be a gift box where quantity and item types would need to be selected. i.e., a tea and teacup box where you would select the type of tea and the type of cup from a few options.

JHKCreate
Shopify Expert
3571 639 916

The best way to get this done is to create a variant for each combination then use an Inventory syncing app to sync the inventory across. The actual images & variant creation takes a few minutes from our end so we can do it swiftly. This app: Bundles | Shopify App Store works great, let me know what you think!

Abroad_Modern
4 0 0
Hi! Thanks for your help! So would I create the master product and put all of the variants under it? Or make the master bundle and create each variant as it’s own product, hidden from the website, and point to them within the bundle?
JHKCreate
Shopify Expert
3571 639 916

Create a master product with all the variants underneath, each variant would be the combination. Then create each product individually as hidden, set the inventory and use this to add any bundle underneath. 

Let me know if that makes sense 

Abroad_Modern
4 0 0

@JHKCreate So in this case, master product would be “ Mix and match salt and pepper shakers” and then there would be variants of every possible combo: Salt_1 + Pepper_1, Salt_1 + Pepper_2, etc? And then I make separate, hidden products for each individual shaker with photo and quantity? And then use the bundling app to construct the listing? 

How will the imagery be shown when the customer is making their selections ? The problem is, at the moment I don’t have photos of every possible combination. There really must be a simpler way to do this, no? It really is maddening that functionality that is so universally required should be so laborious and  requires handing over an additional $15 a month to shopify…

nildeep
Excursionist
17 1 1

Hi Greer,

The solution for you is to implement bundle functionality so that your individual orders work as one. Let me know if you are facing further issues and want us to implement it for you, and want to know more about Inventory and order fulfillment using an ERP system like Odoo.

Thanks

jam_chan
Shopify Partner
891 23 171

@Abroad_Modern 

My bundle app, BYOB does allow customers to select 1 product from collection a,  another 1 product from collection b, get a discount price. 

The layout is not exactly like your sketch. But it can help you to save time from creating every combo manually. Feel free to take a look at our sample bundle. Each bundle is a standalone product with a custom template created by us. 

And we provide abundant customization options to fine-tune the design.

BYOB - Build Your Own Bundles, SPO - SEO App to research keywords & edit social link preview

Not applicable

Hi Greer,

Our layout is not exactly like your sketch, however, customer will see each bundle as a Standalone Product (see an example below).

uy1PICEAE=.png

Bundle Kit tracks the inventory levels of the bundle and the individual bundled items as they are sold in real-time to prevent overselling.

Bundle Kit sets the bundle price automatically based on the prices of the underlying bundled items (with option to override the sale price for discounting purposes).

You can try the app for free at: https://apps.shopify.com/bundle-kit

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have more questions.

Ana