Solved

Two orders from same person marked as high risk from same person

malaker
Tourist
5 0 2

Both order are shipping to different addresses in Columbia and have different emails that are free emails but both have the same billing address. I messaged the email and they confirmed they ordered both but with just one sentence in all caps. Does anyone have advice on how to proceed?

Accepted Solution (1)
June
Shopify Staff
315 86 67

This is an accepted solution.

Wonderful, and the gateway for each transaction? For example this could be Shopify Payments, PayPal, or any third-party payment gateway supported in your region. 

What we do know so far is this customer placed two orders, using two different credit cards - which alone is not necessarily reason enough to be considered high-risk. My best recommendation is to refer to the fraud indicators on each order page to help you make an informed decision about whether or not you wish to fulfill them. Are any indicators listed in the Fraud analysis standing out to you? 

June | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

View solution in original post

Replies 7 (7)

June
Shopify Staff
315 86 67

Hi @malaker, I'm glad you brought this question to our Community here since I'm sure quite a few folks have been curious about this topic at one time or another. I'm looking forward to seeing the feedback you receive!

At the end of the day, it's absolutely up to you whether or not you wish to fulfill these orders. You definitely have the option to cancel (and refund) each one, which is the only guaranteed route to protect yourself from any risk of a fraudulent chargeback. That said, we do have some recommended next steps to navigate what you're describing and help you make the most informed decision. Check out our Help Doc, Fraud prevention

Thankfully, since you have contacted the customer, you do now have further evidence that these are legitimate charges, which you could provide to any bank if requested.

May I ask which payment gateway you've used to process the orders? 

dylanpierce
Shopify Partner
210 3 94

Hi @malaker 

Just want to offer an additional route you can take.

Our app Real ID specializes in customer ID verification.

This way you can save orders that are mistakenly flagged as high risk or have out of the ordinary circumstances.

Customers change addresses or shop on the move, it's helpful that Shopify provides an order risk system but the metadata around an order like billing address, IP address, & shipping address don't always indicate that the order is fraudulent.

Ordering gifts for friends & family, or ordering while traveling are normal in eCommerce - you shouldn't need to lose sales for those normal cases.

With ID verification, we can validate the person's license or passport matches against the billing name & address on the order. This can help you save sales that otherwise could be cancelled and lose perfectly good customers.

Founder of Real ID - Verify your customer's real IDs easily & securely with modern A.I.

Want to see it in action? Check out our demo store.

malaker
Tourist
5 0 2

Thanks very much for the replies. I'm new to drop shipping so I can take all the help I can get. Unfortunately, I'm not sure what checkout they used. The one that is in Shopify? If you tell me where to look I can do that.

June
Shopify Staff
315 86 67

Absolutely! 

If you visit the order page in your Shopify admin, you can scroll down to your Timeline, select the payment event, then look to the heading Gateway. The gateway used to process payment for the order should be listed there. I'm curious if the method of payment was the same for both orders? 

07-40-38308-26115

malaker
Tourist
5 0 2

ok yes it was a visa both times but the final four numbers are different

June
Shopify Staff
315 86 67

This is an accepted solution.

Wonderful, and the gateway for each transaction? For example this could be Shopify Payments, PayPal, or any third-party payment gateway supported in your region. 

What we do know so far is this customer placed two orders, using two different credit cards - which alone is not necessarily reason enough to be considered high-risk. My best recommendation is to refer to the fraud indicators on each order page to help you make an informed decision about whether or not you wish to fulfill them. Are any indicators listed in the Fraud analysis standing out to you? 

malaker
Tourist
5 0 2

Thanks for the reply. I just returned the money saying that my warehouse was temporarily out of their product. If I had to refund the money AND lose the products I would have been out more than $300 so I couldn't risk it. Although the order was likely someone that didn't use English as a first language, I would think they would mention they were drop shipping when I asked about the two orders. There was no reply to the warehouse being out.

Thanks again and have a great day!

Ed