UAE Payment Gateway + Subscription Issue

Tasha21
Visitor
3 0 0

Hey There! 

I am hoping someone can help as so far I have been round the houses trying to get a solution with no joy.

Our site is due to launch in the next few weeks. We are based in the UAE. We offer one off products + subscriptions (hopefully via Recharge).

I was told by shopify + recharge that we have to use Shopify Payments, Authorize.net or Paypal Express for our Subscription payments. However, Shopify Payments and Authorize.net is not available to us in the UAE. We opted for Paypal and thought we had the solution however the local currency AED is not supported by Paypal so customers cannot checkout using Paypal in AED! 

Has anyone got a workaround for this? As if I have no choice but to use one of the 3 specified gateways by Shopify none work for a UAE based company.

Tearing hair out!!

Thanks so much

Tasha

Replies 7 (7)

Nick
Shopify Staff (Retired)
4531 434 1024

Hi @Tasha21,

That sounds quite frustrating for sure. I've taken a look at the payment gateways Shopify is partnered with in the UAE and like you mentioned, Shopify Payments (SP) and Authorize.net is not there. You can see the full list of payment gateways Shopify is partnered with in the UAE from the link here and below:

25-24-6u2lg-cnskw

Have you looked into any of the payment gateways listed there to see if they can do what you need?

I also wonder if using a different subscription app could allow you to use a different gateway other than SP or Authorize.net. I know it might not be exactly how you wanted, but if it can be done another way, you would at least know that. 

Looking forward to hearing from you. 

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

Tasha21
Visitor
3 0 0
Hi Nick

Thanks for the reply.
We could only choose one of 3 according to support. Which we did in PayPal
however PayPal don't support AED and as that is the default and only
currency we offer as we only supply to UAE addresses we can't accept
payment via PayPal so I do not know how we can process subscriptions?

Thanks
Tasha
Nick
Shopify Staff (Retired)
4531 434 1024

Hi @Tasha21,

Did they give a reason as to why that is, exactly? Each payment gateway is different, but it seems very odd to be that only certain gateways would work for this feature. It could be worth exploring different subscription apps with different gateways to see if you can find a fit for your needs. It might take some time to research through them to figure it out, but it seems it would be the best and only way for this for now. 

Tasha21
Visitor
3 0 0
Hi Nick

I was going by advice by shopify that we had to use one is 3. Over 10
agents have said this and I read it in eligibility here

https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/products/subscriptions/setup#eligibility-requirements

Confused!

Tasha
Nick
Shopify Staff (Retired)
4531 434 1024

Hi @Tasha21,

Ah yes, that would be the correct information then. I completely understand your frustration and confusion with this. Especially as one of the gateways is available with Paypal Express checkout, but then the fact that AED isn't supported by Paypal removes that benefit. While it would work for your international customers, it would look odd for your local ones. 

I'm going to create a feature request on your behalf for this, I can see how this could affect and help your business if it was available. If there's any other information you can give me to add to it then please reply and let me know. I wish there was more I could do directly for you!

ihabz
Tourist
6 0 1

Hi Tasha & Nick,

I have exactly the same problem trying to implement subscriptions in the UAE. Please advise you have managed to find a solution or how can we escalate the problem with Shopify, as it's currently quite a major drawback for Shopify in the region.

Thanks.

Ihab

Nick
Shopify Staff (Retired)
4531 434 1024

Hi @ihabz,

Thanks for letting me know. I've added your feedback to the feature request for our development team also! In the meantime, please keep an eye out on the Shopify Changelog for any updates on this.