Solved

Unable to edit order with local delivery

Linda_Gentle
Tourist
6 0 27

I am unable to edit orders for local delivery. I want to edit the order but it is telling me I can't edit an order with local delivery as the shipping method.

Why is that? I do not understand why I wouldn't be allowed to edit an order just because it was local delivery versus local pickup or standard shipping.

59E07C58-AEA5-4C7F-A68A-0D5A9E43F595.jpeg

Accepted Solution (1)
Elias
Shopify Staff
2752 274 477

This is an accepted solution.

Hey, @themanbrand.

Welcome to the thread!

I understand that you're also in favour of editing orders with Local Delivery, and I'd be happy to add you to this feature request. While I can't say why or what that led to this limitation, I can confirm that this was one of the anticipated limitations with the early versions of Local Delivery and we do have plans to continue working on this feature and address known issues/limitations in future releases. As previously mentioned, please keep an eye out on the Shopify Changelog for any upcoming changes or updates to Local Delivery.

Since the feature request has been created and the next step is waiting for future releases of Local Delivery, then we'll be marking this reply as the solution for the benefit of others also looking for help with this topic. Cheers!

Elias | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

View solution in original post

Replies 97 (97)

Elias
Shopify Staff
2752 274 477

Hey, @Linda_Gentle.

Elias here with Shopify Support. I'd be happy to lend a hand with this! 

While you can add or remove products, adjust quantities, or apply discounts to new or custom items that you add to the order; however, orders that have local delivery (eg. in-store pickup and local delivery) as the shipping method can't be changed once the order is finalized by the customer. Our guide on editing orders also suggests that shipping methods and rates are not recalculated when you edit an order, so if you swap or add items to the cart and the weight or dimensions of the order changes - You may also need to charge more for shipping.  

In order to change the shipping method on orders with local delivery or to recalculate/charge more for shipping, I'd recommend creating a draft order and refunding the original order. This way, you can send a new invoice to your customer, include the shipping costs, and they'll be able to pay for their new order. 

I hope this helps! If you have any other questions on this topic, don't hesitate to let me know!

Linda_Gentle
Tourist
6 0 27
Hi Elias,

We do not have store pick up. All our orders with local delivery cannot be edited at all after the order has been made. We have had this issue since Shopify added local delIvery and have contacted them numerous times however they don’t seem to think this is an issue. We also have orders that are shipped out and we have no problem editing these.
Elias
Shopify Staff
2752 274 477

Hi, @Linda_Gentle.

Thank you for following up!

My apologies for the confusion and please allow me to clarify. The local delivery methods include both, local pickup and local delivery, both of which can't be changed once the order is finalized by the customer. Though editing orders with a regular shipping rate isn't a problem, our guide on editing orders does suggest that orders with in-store pick up can't be edited. While I can confirm this isn't a bug or a glitch, as in-store pickup and local delivery essentially stem from the same feature. However, creating a draft order would be the best solution for adding a shipping rate to these types of orders for the time being. 

I understand this isn't an ideal solution in your case and I'd be happy to share your feedback with our developers. 

If you have any other questions on this topic, please don't hesitate to let me know!

PacCloudSeafood
Shopify Partner
12 0 11

Same Problem. Anxiously awaiting a workaround

veggievic
Visitor
1 0 4

Hi @Elias  / Shopify team,

Any updates on this thread?

This inability of editing orders is so annoying to the core. 

We are business people, and we should have the flexibility to edit our orders. So fundamental. No more justification is required more on this topic I guess.

Veggie Vic

@

Elias
Shopify Staff
2752 274 477

Hi, @veggievic.

Thank you for joining the thread and sharing this feedback with us!

I understand how important it is for you to edit local delivery and I'd be happy to add you to the feature request. While I'm not able to provide an ETA for this change, I do hope that this feature is prioritized by our development team. If Shopify moves forward with any changes or updates to editing orders, we'll be sure to announce them on our changelog and/or updates page. 

That being said, if you'd like something that can help accomplish what you're looking for in the meantime, then it looks like Store Pickup + Delivery by Zapiet has an option for editing orders with local delivery. If you need any help with this app, the app developer is always available to assist you - you can reach out to them directly through the contact information found in the Support section of their app's page. 

I'd love to know if the Store Pickup + Delivery app can be a solution for you. Let me know!

Linda_Gentle
Tourist
6 0 27

Just wondering if Shopify is receiving kick backs from all these apps they suggest!!! Additional income for them on top of the millions they receive. This is a simple fix and Shopify should be doing something about it! 

George_Newbie
Excursionist
15 0 12

Exactly, you're on thread... we pay Shopify as store owners for a service... app developers fill any holes/bugs and we are expected to pay them for "extra feature apps" aka "patches"... do the app developers have to pay a fee/registration giving Shopify two bites of our cherry, and more importantly what motivation then is there for Shopify to fix the bugs?

If they do so and in the process remove the opportunity for the app developers to draw an income then they will lose the app developers.

This is far too murky and dirty, an ugly situation indeed :'-(

roehamptonorchi
Excursionist
12 0 67

Hi no offence but your response has nothing to do with why it cannot be edited. There is no shipping charges for pick up and delivery is often flat rate. There is no reason why we cannot edit an order that is for delivery.  Even to change the size or style of the SAME item in the order. But the order for shipping is editable even though we may need to charge more for shipping. So WHY is it that we cannot edit a local delivery order?

ABFIRE
Visitor
1 0 1

Any more progress on this change? We are in the same boat and require local delivery editing asap please. 
Also need the ability to hide delivery lists in the app from other users. 

GrapetoGrain
Visitor
1 0 13

We are also waiting for a sloution to this. Cancelling the order, refunding and creating a new order all incur extra charges so this is not a solution to this problem. Considering an alternative to shopify local delivery 

newdobshop
Tourist
11 0 16

We are also waiting for a sloution to this.  It's very annoying and time consumable to cancel the order, to refund money and to create a new order for a some stupid little correction. SHOPIFY, please do something the local delivery and pick-up orders to be able to edit as a standart rate orders. We do not understand the your logic and this is very unconvenient.

Elias
Shopify Staff
2752 274 477

Hey, @PacCloudSeafood@GrapetoGrain, & @newdobshop.

Thank you for joining the thread!

I understand you're all waiting for a feature that allows editing orders that includes local delivery, and I can see how this feature can be beneficial for our merchants. Though this isn't something that I can share an ETA for. However, I'd be happy to add all three of you to this feature request. If Shopify moves forward with any changes or updates to order editing, you'll be able to find it on our changelog or updates page.

If you have any other questions on this topic, don't hesitate to let me know!

newdobshop
Tourist
11 0 16

Hi Elias!

Much appreciated.
My customers are verry annoyed with this practice to cancel the whole order just for small amount of a discount, or correction on the item qty.
Thank you, in advance.
Yes, please let me know, when something is done from your side.

MandyLi
Visitor
1 0 6

Hello Elias,

We so desperately need this feature. Kindly update your development team to escalate the priority of this feature. Thank you so much!

policenauts
Shopify Partner
206 10 65

@Elias we also need this feature, thank you.

Elias
Shopify Staff
2752 274 477

Hello, @newdobshop@MandyLi, & @policenauts.

Thank you all for joining this thread!

I appreciate everyone's interest in this feature request to edit orders with local delivery, and I'd be happy to add each of you this feature request. By adding to this feature request, it can help our developers prioritize new features when developing for our platform. As previously mentioned, there isn't a time frame that I'll be able to provide for feature requests. Nevertheless, if Shopify moves forward with any changes or updates to the order editing processes for local delivery, then you can find it on our changelog or updates page. 

If you have any other feedback or suggestions, don't hesitate to let me know!

DGDD
Tourist
9 0 11

Add my name to the hat asking for this feature as well. We're incurring merchant fees and risking customers not reordering after we cancel. It also takes more admin time that's unaccounted for...

Elias
Shopify Staff
2752 274 477

Hey, @DGDD.

Welcome to the thread!

I appreciate the additional context, and I understand how important this feature is for you. Those are all valid points and I'd be more than happy to add you to this feature request. 

If you have any other feedback or questions, don't hesitate to let me know!

yasabes
Visitor
1 0 8

@Elias please add me to the request. Our team is about to vote on changing platforms because of this, and I personally love Shopify. Please do include a note on the request stating that this is a MUST-have feature, not just a request made by some customers. Thank you so much for hearing us and supporting us! 

Elias
Shopify Staff
2752 274 477

Hey, @yasabes.

Welcome to the thread!

Thanks for the additional context, and I understand how important this feature is for you - I'd be happy to include this and add you to the feature request. While I l know that this is a must-have feature for you and your team, I'm afraid this won't be something that we'll be able to provide an ETA. However, when this feature gets implemented, you can find it on our changelog and/or updates page. 

Thanks again for taking the time to share this feedback!

ImNotRobot
Shopify Partner
1 0 4

Editing local delivery should be the most basic option. Asking customer to cancel and make repayment is ridiculous and risk losing the order. Please have this option ASAP since Shopify suppose to be the forefront in ecommerce platform. Awaiting anxiously for this update.

lsn
Visitor
1 0 4

We are also needing this feature!

Elias
Shopify Staff
2752 274 477

Hey, @lsn.

Thank you for joining the thread.

I'd be happy to add you to this feature request. If Shopify moves forward with any changes or updates to the order editing processes for local delivery and pickup orders, then we'll be sure to announce it on our on ourchangelog or updates page. 

Greenbriar_Mrkt
Tourist
4 0 4

This is an absolute must as a feature for Greenbriar Market as well.

It is absolutely ridiculous that we can't edit a local delivery! There is no reason that we shouldn't be able to edit a local delivery the same as we would be able to with a shipped order.

We offer a GWP on orders over $50 and if the customer chooses local delivery I have to create a second order at $0 to included it and track inventory properly. This is an absolute disaster as far as my back of house paperwork.

In this pandemic world where local delivery is a huge part of our businesses, let's get this fixed ASAP.

Cales413
Visitor
1 0 0

Please add me to this feature request.  Thanks!

Elias
Shopify Staff
2752 274 477

Hey, @Cales413.

Thanks for joining the thread!

I've gone ahead and added you to this feature request. For news and announcements when Shopify releases new features or changes to the platform, please check out our changelog and/or updates pages. 

MurrayWillock
Shopify Partner
2 0 0

Hi Elias,

this is also a big problem for our store and we strongly urge Shopify to fix it. Please add my support to the feature request.

Thanks

Murray

Greenbriar_Mrkt
Tourist
4 0 4

We are now 4 pages into a request for a pretty basic function that should have been there in the first place.

We already pay A LOT of money to Shopify and as the customer we deserve to have basic functions to run our businesses included for this service. We shouldn't need to pay for an EXTRA app that will slow down our store even more to be able to edit a delivery. 

Given this capability already exists for shipped orders, Shopify is simply dragging their heels. 

Let's get this BASIC feature fixed before the holiday season!

newdobshop
Tourist
11 0 16

IT'S ABOUT TIME SHOPIFY!

PLEASE ACT!

web_at_ambi
Tourist
4 0 13

Still waiting for the update in 2023 🤔

George_Newbie
Excursionist
15 0 12

Don't hold your breath, there is no financial incentive for shopify to rectify this flaw.

oliverij
Tourist
3 0 0

With all these scripted responses, I think Elias might be a bot... 

oliverij
Tourist
3 0 0

please add me to the feature request as well. 

AllanW
Tourist
8 0 7

Can you add me to that feature request. It makes no sense why this is the case. Our shipping method has nothing to do with the items ordered and so adding or removing items has no effect on shipping method.

This is a fundamental feature of an order management system and there is no exclude not to provide this functionality. Imagine explaining to a customer that you can not add or remove an item to and order because the system doesn't do that. It is consistent with the Shopify attitude.

It seems Shopify has no idea how businesses are run. It seems to only be suitable for users who know no better, coming from WooCommerce the platform a bitter disappointment because of all these little things and Shopify just flips off there customers with 'No ETA'.

Paco
Shopify Partner
6 0 1

There is a trick if you use another app for pickup and delivery with shipper calculated shipping.  Wierd, but works.  Still Shopify should fix this ASAP. 

newdobshop
Tourist
11 0 16

And what is the name of this app, Paco?

Paco
Shopify Partner
6 0 1

In Store Pickup & Delivery by LogBase.   Exact setup is you activate "third party shipping" with shopify and then the app in Advanced Mode will control all the "pickup, shipping and delivery" options. And that way seems that all orders coming in are "editable".    The other option is you "duplicate" the order to edit, but thats just confusing to the client to have an order canceled and new one created, but also works.

Jessica_Zapiet
Shopify Partner
7 0 4

Hi there,

Jessica here from Zapiet jumping in :-).

I would suggest taking a look at our Store Pickup + Delivery app - https://www.zapiet.com/shopify/store-pickup-delivery - (14 day free trial)

With our app you will install our widget on your cart page which will allow your customer's to choose between pickup/local delivery/shipping and then moving to checkout the appropriate rates for each service.

Also our app will allow you to add/remove a product in the order.

If you have any questions, please send us an email - support@zapiet.com

Thanks,

Jessica

oliverij
Tourist
3 0 0

Jessica, can i limit it to only local delivery? Also, can i adjust pricing for items. For instance if it's a commodity like meat where price fluctuates? 

George_Newbie
Excursionist
15 0 12

What is the logic behind not being able to edit an order?

Maybe we have a lot of "Special" customers, but from the number of requests for this feature I guess we are not alone.

Please shopify this is urgent.

Elias
Shopify Staff
2752 274 477

Hi, @George_Newbie@oliverij@newdobshop@Greenbriar_Mrkt, & @MurrayWillock.

Thanks to everyone joining this thread!

I understand how important this feature is to everyone and I'd be happy to add each of you to this feature request. While I can't explain why editing orders with local delivery/pickup wasn't implemented in the first place, I do hope that with more requests from our merchants - it can help our developers prioritize developing the requested features. When Shopify moves forward with any changes or updates, we'll be sure to announce them on our changelog and updates page.

newdobshop
Tourist
11 0 16

Thank you, Paco. I already contacted them and they demonstrated the app. It seems like a solution for now.

Paco
Shopify Partner
6 0 1

Sorry replied in another step.  It is "instore delivery & pickup".  The app sends info I guess in a way it allways can be edited as long as it is in their advanced mode, where the delivery locations and rates are managed by them.  @Elias  please see this. also please include is if there is a Shopify solution. 

jam_chan
Shopify Partner
889 23 171

IMO, there are just too many limitations in the current Order Edit API. When things don't work, merchants just blame the app developers. But there are no way for us to handle these dead ends.

• multi-currency
  • local pickup
  • test mode of Shopify payment
  • payment with COD
  • I can't write all of them!

It's so hard to put this Order Edit API into Production. Last Sat, there was a merchant willing to pay for my advance app plan of $99. However, she was selling in GBP, USD, EURO, etc. The orders can't be edited and I lose the customer now.

Besides, I really don't think that Partner Support is useful. The staff always ask me to open a thread here.

BYOB - Build Your Own Bundles, SPO - SEO App to research keywords & edit social link preview
belamoon
Visitor
1 0 0

Hello there! Just got an order placed with my shop and the customer was able to get free shipping (they exceeded an amount that qualified for free shipping) but then they realized that I could have just dropped it off with local delivery. After reading this tread, I see that it is not possible to edit an order from shipping to local delivery, despite them having to pay any shipping fees.

Now, my question is, if I were to pay for the shipping label and never take it to the post office (but deliver it instead) would there be any repercussions to this? In other words, would purchasing the shipping label but never using it affect my website, funds from the purchase, or just anything in general... ? 

Is it possible the customer can mark that the order was delivered via USPS even though I delivered it? 

Elias
Shopify Staff
2752 274 477

Hello, @belamoon!

Thank you for joining the thread and posting this question!

I understand you have an order that you can fulfill locally and does not require to be shipped. In this case, you can simply fulfill the order manually and skip purchasing a shipping label.

If you purchase a shipping label and never use it, then there isn't an repercussions from Shopify. However, you may still be charged for the label. That being said, since purchasing a label means the customer would receive a tracking , then this would indicate that the label was created but the package was never dropped off - depending on the customer's integrity, you may be opening yourself up to a charge dispute. 

In short, I'd recommend manually fulfilling the order and keeping a copy of this being communicated with the customer. Keeping a copy of the communication logs (for at least 3 months) can help confirm the order has been delivered in the event that a charge dispute is raised.

I hope this helps! If you have any other questions on this topic, don't hesitate to let me know!

Lansallamas
Visitor
1 0 0

same problem... any news from devs ? 

George_Newbie
Excursionist
15 0 12
Unfortunately only a "noted and working on it"... don't call us we'll call
you.
Shame, as this is practical issue.