Updating COGS retroactively

b2me
1 0 0

Hi,

Since last Friday I've updated our Shopify plans to get access to the feature that allows to enter the COGS in Shopify for reporting purposes. I've added the costs per product directly, and the feature seems to be working great for every sale made after upgrading the Shopify plan.

My question now is, how to update the COGS of sales made pre-upgrading the plan? Since I've been running this store for months now, it'd be great to have a complete sales report from the start, not only from the last few days.

Thanks in advance for helping out!

Replies 5 (5)
JonWright
Shopify Partner
781 114 339

As far as I am aware you can't apply it retrospectively. Last time I did this for a client I ended up going down the spreadsheet route (downloading all orders and mapping them to COGS) to get the historic data.

If helpful then please Like and Accept Solution

Owner of Neuralcandy Shopify Agency
Eric_TAMGA
Tourist
20 0 2

Jon is right - you won't be able to run a report for past sales with your current costs worked in. Here's how we approach this (often we don't have real cost info when we launch, so have to add it in later):

1) Run "profit by product" report

2) Make sure to add columns "cost recorded" (shows yes/no), "product title", and any others as you see fit. 

3) Export and save an an excel so you can sort by product title

4) Add in the cost to each item in the spreadsheet. 

This should give you a good view of COGS for previous periods. 

BetterReports-K
Excursionist
56 2 4

Hi @b2me,

Keanna here from Better Reports.

I believe our app Better Reports can help with this request. Better Reports is able to connect COGS data with products/variants even if the data was entered after the sale. 

In fact, we have a couple of built-in reports that would offer you immediate value. There is a built-in report called Monthly Sales by Product which automatically populates with your product sales by month including the total cost of goods sold per product. We have another built-in report called Monthly Sales which aggregates all sales data by month including your monthly cost of goods sold. Both of these reports would be able to report the COGS even if the cost was entered after the sale.

You can learn more about how Better Reports works with COGS data here.

I encourage you to install Better Reports and start your free 14-day trial and I'll be happy to direct you to these reports.

Let me know how you go, and feel free to reach out if you have any further questions.

Disclaimer: I am part of the Better Reports support team.

cworf
Shopify Partner
3 0 2

Hey Keanna, does your app update all reports retroactively?

BetterReports-K
Excursionist
56 2 4

Hi @cworf,

Yes, it does! Because cost isn't recorded at the time of sale, our reports always use the current variant cost to calculate cost of goods sold. This means the cost will be assumed retroactively, even if it was inputted after the time of sale.

What do you think? Is this what you had in mind? 

I encourage you to install Better Reports and start your free 14-day trial and I'll be happy to set up any reports you need.

Let me know how you go, and feel free to reach out if you have any further questions.