Updating inventory with a CSV file

Kristo_Norvaish
Tourist
11 0 1

Hey everyone!

I am close to finally launching my store selling books on self-development, entrepreneurship, leadership, sales, and so on. My store and my book supplier's system has been integrated via API but sadly they can't automatically sync inventory, so I have to do it manually...once or twice a day probably.

The supplier's website has an option to download an Excel file of all the books I've added to my basket (which would be the ones I have selected to sell on my store). So, to make things easier for me, instead of using the bulk editor in Shopify, I figured I could just update inventory via a CSV file. Here's a cut of the screenshot of what the Excel file containing the titles that I can download from my supplier looks like:
Screen Shot 2019-02-04 at 7.26.43 pm.png

So my question would be, is there any easy way I could modify this Excel, save it as a CSV file and then use it to update inventory? Could I just delete some columns like "Weight", "Ref", "QTY", "RRP" and so on, and change the necessary words coloured in blue? Could I just leave the ISBN/SKU (which identifies each book/product, even by variant because Hardcover and Paperback have different ISBNs) and Quantity columns?

If that is possible I would really appreciate it someone told me what I would need to edit. Or send me an example file/screenshot.

Thank you!!
Kristo

Replies 4 (4)
Kristo_Norvaish
Tourist
11 0 1
Up! 😕
Jonathan-HA
Trailblazer
199 10 55

Hey Kristo,

I found this link from Shopify's docs that I think is what you're looking for: https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/locations/changing-quantities/exporting-or-importing-inventory

However, it looks like they have very specific requirements with how the CSV should be formatted.

If you're open to using an app, our EZ Inventory app could simplify this process for you as all it needs is the product identifier field and the quantity field from the CSV/Excel file.

For example, you can create a data feed settings in EZ Inventory where you specify the SKU and quantity column from the CSV/Excel inventory file.  Then all you have to do is upload the file and click a button to start the bulk update in your Shopify store.  You can then reuse these settings for future updates.

If your supplier's website's download link is publicly accessible, you could even potentially automate this from our app by pasting the download link URL in the data feed settings in our app and schedule an automated run.  Please note that the link must be the direct download link and doesn't require logging in via a form (our app does support "Basic Auth" for authentication (where you normally get a pop-up to enter a username and password when accessing a site), just not form-based authentication).

Please feel free to reach out to me directly at jonathan@highviewapps.com if you have any questions.

Co-Founder / Developer at Highview Apps
Our Shopify Apps: EZ Exporter | EZ Inventory | EZ Importer | EZ Notify | EZ Fulfill
danielpretorius
Shopify Partner
97 0 10

We have a few clients that are using our Airtable sync to accomplish the same objective - bulk update inventory at some predefined interval. Happy to show you how it works in action. Also, check out our guide on how to manage and track Shopify inventory .

Cale4u
1 0 0

Looks like an old thread but I’m interested in hearing more about using Airtable to update inventory to shopify.