Urgent question about someone who poses as a Shopify Risk Analyst

Henny1
Tourist
4 0 2

Hello there,

I hereby respectfully inquire if a person who only identifies with his first name Raoul is working at Shopify as a Risk Analyst.

He emails me from this email address: risk-management@shopify.com

I am asking this because the issues he is bringing up about my account point to such a low level of material understanding of the issues that I sincerely doubt he does really work for Shopify. I consider it possible he is an impostor and as such, this is a security breach.

As an example I include this extract of my conversation with this Raoul. The above paragraphs are mine. Thereunder a text by Raoul that I react to.

Henny van der Pluijm

Finally I have found some time to address this situation.

1. First and foremost, Shopify is totally wrong stating that this shop needs permission to sell the products that are offered.

I sell books. Anyone and everyone can and may sell books. Regardless of what any bank says.

I have been in the publishing industry for over 20 years. Anyone can and may sell books.

For people like Shopify employees that have doubt about this, I have asked around specifically about selling on Shopify.

Here is the answer from your Shopify colleague in the Netherlands.

"Het is toegestaan om boeken en andere gerelateerde producten te verkopen op Shopify.
Maar of dit van de EU mag hangt af van de regels en wetten voor jouw locatie.
Aangezien u in de Nederland bent, zouden er geen regio-specifieke wetten tegen moeten zijn."

Translate it.

Additionally, I have specifically asked on Quora.

https://www.quora.com/Is-dropshipping-books-that-I-purchase-on-Amazon-allowed-on-a-Shopify-website

An expert there stated that even dropshipping books from Amazon to Shopify is allowed. Like so many other stores do.

2. Second your text states the following

"there is an "identified brand" for which permission to sell is necessary."
"This requirement applies to all recognized brand name products regardless of whether the products are brand new, refurbished or bought independently. "
"You can opt to remove the branded product(s) from your Shopify store to continue selling through the Shopify Payments gateway"

Reality is, in this same text NO BRANDS ARE IDENTIFIED.

. I am not selling ANY BRANDS on this website. NONE. NONE MEANS NONE.

Shopify has idenitified NO BRAND WHATSOEVER in my store that cannot be sold. REPEAT: I don't sell brands.

3. The received texts make no sense at all.

They are clearly 2 different texts thrown together, not stating anything specific about
what products are the problem.

Only someone who is totally careless about his customers can put together a text like this.

4. Although I have asked for clarification 3 times, nothing is coming. Apparently someone is not reading.

Conclusion:

There is nothing wrong with this shop, unless Shopify can indicate CLEARLY AND SPECIFICALLY what the problem is.
What products are forbidden SPECIFICALLY without written permission from the "brand holder".

5. This is the last time I have tried to resolve this issue.

Not my store is the problem, Shopify is the problem.

. Shopify's conduct is unprofessional and shameful. You don't need to be a lawyer or a scientist to note the problems in the texts that were sent.

This inflicts material damage on my website and business.

If Shopify cannot clearly specifiy what is the problem with the products offered,
I have to conclude there is criminal intent, blackmail or business malpractice.

If this situation is not remedied totally within a week, I will send Shopify a NOTICE OF DEFAULT.

In that case I will demand the following:

. Shopify stop collecting money from my credit card until this issue is resolved.
. My monthly subscription money back from the last 7 months as Shopify has sold me a non functioning service.
. Compensation for all the time invested which comes down to - to a rough estimate - 200 hours of building this website and writing articles for marketing purposes.

-------- Oorspronkelijk bericht --------
Van: Shopify <risk-management@shopify.com>
Datum: 23-09-21 19:40 (GMT+01:00)
Aan: 
Onderwerp: [Shopify Risk Operations Support] Your Shopify Payments Account

Hello,

Raoul from the Risk Operations Team at Shopify. We are writing to you in regards to your account serieusvrij.myshopify.com.

We are constantly monitoring the products and types of business who are using the Shopify Payments gateway. We have found you are currently selling a product, or products, that we cannot continue to support through this gateway. This is captured in our Shopify Payments Terms of Service, Section B.5.

Specifically, your store is selling name brand, copyright or IP protected products. Our banking partners, who power Shopify Payments, require authorized reseller status, or permissions in order to continue supporting the processing of payments through the gateway.

Please note that while you will no longer be permitted to use Shopify Payments as your payment gateway, this does not affect your use of Shopify, which you can continue to use. Rest assured your remaining payouts, for orders processed, will be sent per the normal payout schedule to the bank account on file.

While we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience, you will need to select a new payment gateway in order to continue selling on Shopify. We understand that changing your payment gateway can be a major adjustment, and we are here to guide you through this process as best as we can.

There are many options to consider, however we recommend Pinwheel, which integrates directly with Shopify - more information can be found here. Authorize.net may also be a solution for your business, more information can be found here.

Alternatively, for a complete list of integrated payment gateway options please have a look here.

Changing payment gateway can be tricky to navigate, and we're here to answer any questions you may have about anything in this email. We'll be your best point of contact for everything mentioned here, so we recommend replying back to this email directly. Our Support Advisor team is great for solving more general questions you might have, but when it comes to this we'll have more context and information.

We note that all Shopify merchants are responsible for complying with Shopify’s Terms of Service and Acceptable Use Policy. This includes complying with all applicable laws in your jurisdiction and your customers’ jurisdiction(s).

Thank you,
Raoul
Risk Analyst | Shopify

Replies 7 (7)

Nia
Shopify Staff (Retired)
537 38 77

Hi, @!

I appreciate the caution you're taking here regarding your store information and communication with Shopify. I can confirm this email has been sent from a valid email address within Shopify so it is no way a phishing or scam email. It is best to await a response from the Risk Analyst to answer your questions regarding the decision to disable Shopify Payments on your store. Our Risk Support team will reply within 24 - 72 business hours!

Nia | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Henny1
Tourist
4 0 2

This is a worthless answer. 

Anyone can fake the email address that a message is sent from. It only takes beginner's level understanding of PHP. 

Furthermore, the total lack of material knowledge demonstrated by this so called Shopify rep that is used to shut down my store on Shopify is not addressed by this answer. 

If this guy is from Shopify this company is inflicting huge damage to my business and after 2 months it is still not addressed. 

I want a serious reaction from Shopify or else I will sent a Notice of Default and a demand for damage reparation. 

Nia
Shopify Staff (Retired)
537 38 77

We appreciate your caution here in ensuring this email is indeed not a phishing email. I have provided the reassurance that this email can be verified and has been sent from our Risk team.
However, in order to provide further reassurance and security regarding this email, I would recommend reaching out to our Shopify Support Advisors on live chat or callbacks, as they will be able to authenticate you and search for the appropriate ticket in our system.
In regards to the information provided in the email from the Risk Analyst, this needs to be discussed with the Risk Analyst who is taking care of your account.

Have you already sent an email through to the Risk Analyst?

Lungmusj
Visitor
2 0 1

I am suffering the same issues only with less information being given to me as to why I cannot continue to use their payment method. My funds are on hold for the 120 days as well. We’re you able to receive your funds prior to the 120 day hold? I cannot see dates of the messages on this site. I have just begun my business and these funds are crucial to me remaining a business. Please respond with any information you can. 

Nia
Shopify Staff (Retired)
537 38 77

Hi, @!

I understand this is never a situation anyone would want to find themselves in. I'm here to provide you with the next best steps you can take to resolve this.

When dealing with payouts that are on hold, this is solely dealt with by our Shopify Payments team. They have their own criteria and process in place regarding this.

Have you received an email from any of our Shopify staff? If you have, you will need to reply directly to that email with your questions or to gather clarification over this hold and the advisor in charge of your account will be able to provide you with the necessary answers you need!

If you haven't received any email communication at all, then you will need to get in touch with our Shopify Support Advisors on Live Support. Our advisors will be able to escalate this through to the appropriate team so your questions can be answered!

KarsonT
Visitor
1 0 1

I have been dealing with issues regarding Raoul this entire week. I am told to reach out through email and have not heard back one single time. My account with Shopify was terminated today and I have not been able to get in contact with anyone to help me with this. I was told “if they do not respond it means their decision is final”. How is that fair when I could even explain or get in contact at all? I have reached out directly to the email he messaged me from and that I was told by other agents to reach out to. Nothing. Silence. And now I have nothing. My account is gone in 7 days. 6 now actually. 

Nia
Shopify Staff (Retired)
537 38 77

Hi, @!

How long has it been since you've sent a response? We don't have a general timeline on when the internal team will get back to you, however if you have emailed looking for clarification, our team will be sure to get back to you as soon as they can!