User Permissions - Refunding Orders

rogersab1223
Shopify Partner
16 0 5

Hello everyone - 

Is it possible to control a user's ability to refund an order?  We had an issue the other day where one of our users refunded an order that had already shipped and I'd like to keep that from happening in the future.

Andy

Replies 8 (8)

AvadaCommerce
Shopify Partner
3879 839 957

Hi @rogersab1223 

Unfortunately, at present, Shopify does not have the feature of restricting staff to refunding orders. 
While it's possible to grant a staff member permissions to see the orders section of your admin, it's not possible to further restrict them. As long as a staff has access to the orders section, they can issue a refund. 

You can learn more about what kind of access you can restrict here

If you feel like my answer is helpful, please mark it as a SOLUTION. Let me know if you have any questions!

banned
gwolf3
Shopify Partner
1 0 1

Please allow us to restrict employees from refunding, but be able to initiate a return! 

BlackLab
Excursionist
16 0 28

The fact that this hasn't been done yet is absolutely shocking. It's one of the biggest problems with Shopify POS. 

Himachal
Shopify Partner
3 0 1

Found this setting to prevent (Staff) users from Refunding 

MonaBh_0-1709082726187.png

BlackLab
Excursionist
16 0 28

Hi! Im having a huge problem with this right now, can you tell me where you found this option to disable my staff from being able to do refunds?

Shay
Shopify Staff
2840 442 579

Hey @BlackLab 

If you are on POS Pro then you have the ability to create your own custom roles for accessing the POS system, including limiting their ability to refund orders. You can learn more about how to set this up in our Help Center here: Shopify Point of Sale Staff Roles

Shay | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

BlackLab
Excursionist
16 0 28

Thanks for your reply! I spent most of my afternoon trying to do this and the only restriction I can find is to restrict access to refunding AND exchanging. When set to denied it won’t allow staff to do exchanges which is essential in a retail store. Refunds and exchanges are two very different things so I’m not clear as to why they would be combined. Thanks again! Would appreciate any help you can offer!
For reference: 

• Denied, which restricts staff from refunding and exchanging orders
Blair
Shopify Staff
1862 254 224

Hi @BlackLab,

Thanks for the prompt response. 

While I can completely understand how that may not be ideal, it would be expected behaviour. The refund and exchange orders permission is combined. To learn more about permissions, you can check out our POS Permissions document.  I will however, be sure to share this feedback with our Developers. We're always looking for ways to improve the platform. 

Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns. 

Blair | Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog