Solved

What is the best response to vague customer messages on Shopify?

rvauu
Visitor
1 0 2

I just received a customer message from my store's contact form saying: "I want to share something important about [my store name], are you the correct person for this?". 

It's quite vague and the email it is from ends in [her name]@shopify-experts.org 

What's the correct way about going about this message? 

Accepted Solution (1)

Hilary
Shopify Staff (Retired)
551 79 131

This is an accepted solution.

Hi, @rvauu

Welcome to the Shopify Community! Glad you reached out about this message you've received. I've spoken with our team and can confirm that this message is a spam attempt and should be ignored. We do not distribute any email addresses that end in @shopify-experts.org. 

As mentioned, the best course of action is to delete, and ignore this message. Thank you for taking the time to report it to us. In the future, if you ever receive any suspicious emails or messages, don't hesitate to reach out. If you're confident an email is spam or a phishing attempt, please forward it to safety@shopify.com so we can track these attempts. We also have a help document on phishing and protecting your account if you'd like to learn more. 

Thanks again!

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

View solution in original post

Replies 15 (15)

Hilary
Shopify Staff (Retired)
551 79 131

This is an accepted solution.

Hi, @rvauu

Welcome to the Shopify Community! Glad you reached out about this message you've received. I've spoken with our team and can confirm that this message is a spam attempt and should be ignored. We do not distribute any email addresses that end in @shopify-experts.org. 

As mentioned, the best course of action is to delete, and ignore this message. Thank you for taking the time to report it to us. In the future, if you ever receive any suspicious emails or messages, don't hesitate to reach out. If you're confident an email is spam or a phishing attempt, please forward it to safety@shopify.com so we can track these attempts. We also have a help document on phishing and protecting your account if you'd like to learn more. 

Thanks again!

lode
Visitor
1 0 1

lode_0-1633464959463.png

I also received this vague message, which was  very suspisious anyhow.  sender and shopify-experts.org added to blocked contacts

Greg-SK
Visitor
1 0 2

Seems like this person is still at it, now with a Gmail address and phone number (not a UK number):

Cropped.png

Rosario3
Visitor
1 0 0

I just got the same email. 

Brett21
12 0 0

I got the same one thought it was strange as well because just a few days had someone add hundreds into their cart but didn't complete the purchases. Looks like they were trying to do something sketchy but not sure what their goal was. I deleted the customer from my list and archieved the abandoned carts sure wish we could completely delete people like this. Anyways hate that this happens with all the hard work I put into the store, then someone trying to rip me off all the time. 

Sophia
Shopify Staff
1666 108 217

@Brett21 wrote:

I got the same one thought it was strange as well because just a few days had someone add hundreds into their cart but didn't complete the purchases. Looks like they were trying to do something sketchy but not sure what their goal was. I deleted the customer from my list and archieved the abandoned carts sure wish we could completely delete people like this. Anyways hate that this happens with all the hard work I put into the store, then someone trying to rip me off all the time. 

Hi, @Brett21.

I understand that receiving suspicious messages like this can be a discouraging experience, especially when it takes away from the valuable time you're putting in to build and grow your business.

I want to assure you that there is no security threat to your store as a result of these emails. If you continue to receive messages like this, please feel free to send them to safety@shopify.com so our team can keep track of them.

Something else to consider is using an app like Zero Spam Contact Form or Shop Protector, as these can help prevent spam messages from coming through your store's contact form.

Sophia | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

EternalBeauty
Visitor
1 0 0

I received the same email. Same message and phone number, but different email and name. 

Ivanm
Tourist
4 0 0

I received  the exact message same message word for word this morning. Analytics says my contact page received a hit from Bangladesh at the time it was sent. 

Kateymacey1
Visitor
1 0 1
I got the same message ! Thanks for clarifying 
Hilary
Shopify Staff (Retired)
551 79 131

Thanks for joining the thread @lode and @Kateymacey1. Glad to hear that this topic was helpful for you in determining that this message you received is spam, appreciate the updates!

I've updated this topic and marked my answer as the solution for the benefit of others moving forward as well. 

GrokTop
Visitor
1 0 1

I got an email from the same phone number as below but a different name. Glad I did a search for the number! Also, not a US number.  

GrokTop_0-1650836544846.png

AldenDuende
Visitor
1 0 0

Just received the same, but with the phone number lacking the zero. 

Sophia
Shopify Staff
1666 108 217

Hi, @

@AldenDuende wrote:

Just received the same, but with the phone number lacking the zero. 

Hi, @AldenDuende!

Please refer to the accepted solution above in this thread and feel free to disregard any spam messages that come through your contact form. Any suspicious emails can also be forwarded to safety@shopify.com along with the headers so that our team can investigate and work to reduce emails like this going forward. 

Sophia | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Dominik_HALItex
Visitor
1 0 0

Same here 👌

Dominik_HALItex_0-1649674934391.png

BombyxHouse
Visitor
1 0 0

Same here!

IMG_1154.jpeg