How can I verify my domain name on Shopify?

BevH
Excursionist
15 1 1

I am a newcomer to the community, my name is Beverly.

I purchased my domain name true Shopify and I have been unable to verify my domain name. Guidance would be so greatly appreciated.

Beverly

Replies 14 (14)

BevH
Excursionist
15 1 1

My Plan is Shopify? Is it that I must have a Shopify Plus plan? Or would it matter?

BevH
Excursionist
15 1 1

Rather than verify I am trying to authenticate my domain name. Not sure if this is the same process.

Nia
Shopify Staff (Retired)
537 38 77

Hi, @!

I appreciate you reaching out to our Shopify Community regarding your current domain issue. I just need to gather more context here to ensure I'm providing you with the best solution and guidance. Are you able to answer the following questions for me please -

• Did you purchase this domain directly through Shopify?
  • Are you trying to authenticate the domain through your Shopify Admin or on another third-party site such as Google?
  • Is it possible to send through a screenshot of the section in which you're attempting to authenticate the domain? (Feel free to blur out any information you don't want to display publicly)

Once you've sent through the above, I can look into this further for you and we can get this sorted!

Nia | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

BevH
Excursionist
15 1 1

Screenshot 2021-11-01 231403 Nia.jpg

Screenshot 2021-11-01 230911 for Nia.jpg

Hi Nia,

Thanks for your response. Appreciated.

1. Yes I purchased the domain directly through Shopify.

2. I am trying to authenticate the domain in the Shopify Admin. However, I did open a Google Merchant Account and registered my domain name without the .shopify.com. Now that I am trying to register my products with Google, of course that's failing because there is a mismatch between the domain name that I entered when I registered, thinking that everything was fine  and the existing domain name which still  ends.shopify.com.

3. I have attached the two screenshots, the first one is as far as I have gotten.

Hope I have been clear enough, if not let me know. 

Looking forward to your response,

Bev

Nia
Shopify Staff (Retired)
537 38 77

Thank you for sending those screenshots through and providing that context for me! Your domain should've authenticated automatically due to this being a Shopify-hosted domain. I would like you to complete the following please -

• Add your custom email address to the Sender email field under Settings > General, then click Save.

Once you have clicked save, if the domain still doesn't authenticate, you will need to reach out to our Live Shopify Support team so they can access your store admin and determine where the issue is for themselves. This may need to be escalated to our Technical Support team to troubleshoot from their end also!

BevH
Excursionist
15 1 1
Hi NIa,

I had done that before and it didn't work, so I just tried to enter it
again and it still does not authenticate, I am getting the same message, so
I will send the email to the technical team as suggested.

What is the difference between a Shopify Plan and a Shopify Plus Plan, I
read on some part of the help documentation that a Shopify Plus plan is
required. I don't understand since I did purchase the domain directly
through Shopify. If I do require a Shopify Plus plan, what is the step to
this process?

Your assistance is appreciated.
Best wishes
Beverly
Nia
Shopify Staff (Retired)
537 38 77

I appreciate your co-operation thus far in trying to resolve this!
In order to have your domain authenticated, there is no need for a Shopify Plus Plan. The Shopify Plus Plan is catered to high-volume business that meet a specific revenue amount. The monthly fee for this plan starts at $2000USD. We have more information on the Shopify Plus Plan here.

But I can definitely reassure you that you don't need the Shopify Plus Plan to have your domain authenticated, it's more so a matter of our team logging in and taking a look to see what's going on as we're limited to what we can access through here. Our lovely Support Advisors will be able to look into this issue further for you and get this sorted!

BevH
Excursionist
15 1 1
Hello Nia, My domain authentication status is still 'failed'. This has now become a very urgent and critical situation since it is affecting my feeds to Google Merchant Centre.
BevH
Excursionist
15 1 1

The status of my domain authentication is still 'failed'. This is now both urgent and critical since it has affected my feed to Google Merchant Centre account.

BevH
Excursionist
15 1 1

Below is the  status of my domain authentication, I urgently need some technical assistance to resolve this issue. My domain was purchased since October 06, 2021 from Tucows through Shopify. 

Domain status
CriticalFailed
Verify that your new DNS records were created correctly, and try again. If the problem persists, contact your domain hosting provider.

Nia
Shopify Staff (Retired)
537 38 77

Hi, @!

Have you managed to contact our [Shopify Support] team?

Our team will need to access your store, as we can't access your store settings through our Community Forums for security reasons. However if you reach out to our live support team, rest assured, they will be able to help you out further with this.

Here are steps on reaching our support team below, please let me know if this doesn't work for you -

1. Head to this link and click on Contact Support.
  2. You will need to login and select the store in question (if you have more than one store). 

3. On the Contact Support page, you'll need to search for the topic you're needing help with - this will load a range of help guides and resources to help you. 

4. If none of the resources provided are helpful to you, scroll down the page to the bottom and click on Continue. 

5. You can then click on any of the contact options and you'll soon be connected with a Support Advisor. 

BevH
Excursionist
15 1 1

Hello Nia,

I have been in contact with the support team. MY email has been verified. Now I have two new  but related concern,

1. I had two email boxes 'info' and 'sales' now I have one 'info'.  Can I be guided on how to create additional mailboxes.
  2. I have noticed that www is missing from my URL is this okay or does it suggest a problem?

Beverly

Nia
Shopify Staff (Retired)
537 38 77

Hey!

I want to ensure I'm providing the correct steps for you regarding the mailboxes. Are you able to confirm if the mailboxes you're referring to is within the Shopify admin or is it within your own email host? Please send through a screenshot of the area you're referring to if possible (Blur out any sensitive information).

Now regarding the www prefix of your domain, this shouldn't be an issue as it's not necessary to have www in your domain. Your domain should work with or without this prefix. Here is our guide on Domains for future reference!

StoveStickers
Excursionist
20 0 13

To anyone passing and who is having problems authenticating their domain when trying to fix an email issue in Settings >>> Store Details>>Contact Information>>fix it

if you have an email conflict in Settings >>>Store Details >>> Contact Information ..... you will be shown a hypertext link entitled "fix it" which when clicked will bring you to a popup box with four DNS settings that you need to copy into your DNS domain settings with your domain host and once this has been done you should click the button "Authenticate Domain" in the popup box and wait for verification.

Simple and yet not clear enough

I have two separate domains one for my email and another linked to my Shopify store

In my case I incorrectly assumed the domain authentication instructions that are displayed in the popup box (when clicking the "fix it" link) pertained to the domain linked to my Shopify store - not so - the instructions (which are not clear) pertain to the domain linked to my email address (which in my case is NOT the same domain as my store)

This confusion caused me much anguish and by sharing this I hope you can avoid such confusion