Solved

VPN potential risk

daichri
Tourist
18 0 2

Recently, I started using a VPN (NordVPN) for various reasons. While browsing certain websites (such as Reddit), I encountered blocks that prevented access due to being under a VPN. I'm now concerned about whether this could have any impact when logging in (daily) to my Shopify store, potentially leading to a ban or flagging. I've come across a few instances where people reported being flagged. Is there any official confirmation regarding this matter?

Accepted Solution (1)

Shay
Shopify Staff
2645 430 554

This is an accepted solution.

Hi @daichri 

Thank you for sharing this question in our community forums, I definitely understand your concern!

Short answer - No this will not cause any issues with accessing your merchant account. 

Account owner logins can come from anywhere at any time and it isn't something that Shopify directly monitors. The only caveats I can think of to that would be if a login appeared to come from a sanctioned country, but that generally wouldn't happen using a VPN. 

Merchant account security is in the hands of the merchant and we don't monitor for "suspicious logins". Ecommerce businesses can be based all around the world, with staff from all around the world logging in at any time. There would just be too many false positives for us to monitor something that like that. 

Let me know if you have any additional questions about this though, I'm happy to help. 

Shay | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

View solution in original post

Replies 2 (2)

Shay
Shopify Staff
2645 430 554

This is an accepted solution.

Hi @daichri 

Thank you for sharing this question in our community forums, I definitely understand your concern!

Short answer - No this will not cause any issues with accessing your merchant account. 

Account owner logins can come from anywhere at any time and it isn't something that Shopify directly monitors. The only caveats I can think of to that would be if a login appeared to come from a sanctioned country, but that generally wouldn't happen using a VPN. 

Merchant account security is in the hands of the merchant and we don't monitor for "suspicious logins". Ecommerce businesses can be based all around the world, with staff from all around the world logging in at any time. There would just be too many false positives for us to monitor something that like that. 

Let me know if you have any additional questions about this though, I'm happy to help. 

Shay | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

daichri
Tourist
18 0 2

Thank you very much for your prompt answer and explanation; it was very reassuring and helpful. I  hope this information will also resolve the doubts of other merchants as well.