Why isn't my Shopify site's updated SEO appearing on Google?

Dchan04
Excursionist
24 0 4

Hi, I have updated all my search engine listing previews, but they are not appearing when I go to actually search the page on google. I have made these updates more than a week ago, but they are still not populating. Can someone assist to help fix this issue?

Replies 4 (4)

AvadaCommerce
Shopify Partner
3879 839 953

Hi @Dchan04,

There're several reasons Google shows the wrong meta description for your homepage.

If you’ve recently updated your description, Google might not have crawled the page, or updated their index with your content. It can take time for Google to process the changes you made, depending on how frequently your website is crawled. You can request that Google re-index your pages. Please note that crawling can take anywhere from a few days to a few weeks.

Another common reason that Google shows a different meta description than the one you provided, is that they think that their description is better. Here are a few potential scenarios:

• The title or meta description you specified isn’t relevant to the search query.
  • The title or meta description you specified is too short or too long.
  • The title or meta description you specified is not an accurate reflection of what your page is really about.

If Google decides to change, ignore, or show something other than your specified meta description, there’s, unfortunately, nothing that you can do about it. The best advice we can provide is to try a different description. Make sure your meta description accurately reflects what’s on your page keep it around 160 characters.

I hope my answer can help.

banned

Ollie
Shopify Staff
2282 453 395

Hey @Dchan04.

Thanks for reaching out.

Just to gather some additional context, how long ago did you update the SEO on your online store? In some cases, when you make updates to your online store or the SEO, Shopify will update this information immediately on your behalf. However, it may take 24-72 hours for the changes to be reflected across search engines such as Google. You can find and submit your sitemap to Google to have this updated a bit quicker.

Feel more than welcome to check out our Frequently asked questions about SEO which details more information about making changes to the SEO of your online store.

Looking forward to your response, let me know if you have any questions.

Ollie | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Dchan04
Excursionist
24 0 4

Hey @Ollie 

We updated the SEO a couple of weeks ago, so there should have been more than enough time for it to update. I also just submitted a sitemap, so hopefully that is the issue. 

Ollie
Shopify Staff
2282 453 395

Hey @Dchan04.

Thanks for the quick response!

I appreciate you letting us know that you have submitted your sitemap - this should definitely speed up the process of updating your SEO across online search engines. This should prompt Google to crawl your online store to have the information updated on the search results.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Ollie | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog