Can I automate a welcome email for new newsletter subscribers on Shopify?

fleur747
Visitor
3 0 2

Hey everyone,

How do I set up an automatic welcome email to new newsletter subscribers?

- Fleur

Replies 8 (8)

Miles
Shopify Staff (Retired)
480 68 156

Hi, Fleur!

I'm Miles from the Social Care team at Shopify. Welcome to our community forums!

Sending your customers' emails is a great way to connect with them. A welcome email helps customers see everything you've got to offer and learn a bit more about your business.

At the moment, we don't have a built-in solution for email marketing, but we do have some great apps in the App Store. I've selected a couple for you below, but there's plenty more to choose from as well!

• Seguno

• Free to use
    • Allows you to create newsletters, as well as automatic emails for new subscribers, abandoned carts and more
  • Klaviyo

• Free (up to 250 contacts)
    • Allows you to create newsletters, as well as automatic emails for new subscribers, abandoned carts and more

We also have a great free Email Marketing course on our Shopify Academy which I would recommend checking out.

Cheers!

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

EcoCollective
Tourist
4 0 1

Hi Miles,

I am also looking to set up a welcome email when someone signs up to my newsletter. Can you please tell me the following:

- If I use one of the apps you've suggested, will the subscriber names go into my Shopify marketing list or an external list with the app?

- Does Shopify plan to add this functionality into it's marketing module at some point?

Many thanks

Miles
Shopify Staff (Retired)
480 68 156

Hi, @EcoCollective!

I'm Miles from the Social Care team at Shopify.

When using a third-party email marketing app, all your current customers who have signed up to your newsletter would be imported. You won't need to start a new list in order to send emails to your exisiting subscribers.

One of the main benefits of using the third-party apps is automations. Along with welcome emails, you'll be able to set up more intuitive abandoned cart emails, thank you emails to repeat purchasers, discount expiry reminders and more. Each app will have its own features, so I'd recommend researching before making a choice. I personally use Seguno for my store and can't recommend them enough.

Shopify Email is still very new, so at this stage, you're only able to create manual newsletters at this stage. We're absolutely looking into automations for emails similar to those listed above, including welcome emails. I'll add some feedback for our team to let them know you're waiting for this feature.

Once you've settled on an app, you can start looking at newsletters as well! Things like adding collections and discounts to emails provide a great benefit to your marketing strategy. Whilst Shopify Email is great for newsletters, there are some limitations that other developers have already solved on their apps. You can check our Shopify Email FAQ's for more information.

I'd also recommend checking out Shopify Compass for free courses provided by Shopify. These courses include marketing, so it fits in nicely with you starting to market to your subscribers.

Thanks!

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

EcoCollective
Tourist
4 0 1

Thanks. We've previously used Mailchimp to set all this up so I will just look to integrate our existing list with Shopify and hope the functionality expands in future.

Many thanks

biograffiti
Visitor
1 0 1

It's 2021 now and this basic feature is still not available, it does seem very strange. I used to use squarespace and it was easily available there. if you can make it available, it would be great, thanks.

rickcurran1
Shopify Partner
2 0 1

Hi, can I check that it is still the case that there is no ability to send a Welcome email to new subscribers to the mailing list? (i.e. not a welcome email to a new customer but just to someone who subscribes to the mailing list).

Thanks!

Edward-Newgate
Shopify Partner
570 22 61

Hi @fleur747 

I do not know how to set up manually but I think you should try some apps which can help you do it easily and automatically. The app I'd recommend is Hello Email app. This app has some features that may interest you: 

• Send welcome emails automatically
  • Build long-lasting relationships with customers
  • Save time and money
  • Build trust and encourage future purchases
  • Easy to install and use

This app is absolutely free and has a high rating from users. To get the detail about this app and others, you see here

Regards,

Was my reply helpful? Click Like or Mark it as an Accepted Solution to let me know!
fleur747
Visitor
3 0 2
Hi,

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately I can not find the Hello Email app. Do you have a link?

Thanks,

Fleur