What happened to the variant SKU UI? It disappeared from product pages

shoptube56
Tourist
9 0 3

It seems like the last update broke or intentionally removed the SKU fields from the product page variant editor.  How do I restore this functionality as I can no longer create or edit product variant SKUs.

shopify-variant-sku03.png

Replies 11 (11)

shoptube56
Tourist
9 0 3

shopify-variant-sku04.png

shoptube56
Tourist
9 0 3

there used to be a SKU field inline to the product page that is now gone. 

shoptube56
Tourist
9 0 3

previous UI screen shot from earlier today

old-sku-ui.png

avamia01
Visitor
1 0 0

If an update has affected SKU fields in the product variant editor, check the platform's release notes for any information on this change.

shoptube56
Tourist
9 0 3

hrm, not sure how this helps.  https://changelog.shopify.com/ is like a catch-all for everything.  When I try to filter by Product or SKU, there's only old posts.  How do I determine what is the proper release note to read for this section of the UI?

shoptube56
Tourist
9 0 3

shopify has acknowledged the issue and working on a fix

hpwhite11
Tourist
3 0 0

Thank you for the update. It has been extremely annoying to have to open the bulk editor just to enter SKUs when building new products or making changes to old ones.

shoptube56
Tourist
9 0 3

absolutely!  It takes a lot longer now to edit and enter variant SKUs.

shoptube56
Tourist
9 0 3

It seems shopify is dedicated to keeping the slower more inefficient SKU variant UI according to my last message to shopify support.  They then tried to upsell my on some Shopify expert services lol.  Now its 50% slower to edit SKUs as it requires 10 operations instead of 5 to edit the SKU variants.  ☹️

Alexandre_Jarde
Excursionist
31 1 11

Such a shame! Sometimes it's hard to say if we are on Shopify or Etsy with all those unrequested changes that just mess with our workflow!
I hope it will soon be fixed!

shoptube56
Tourist
9 0 3

Yes, they keep changing everything so frequently it's very hard to automate or have a predictable workflow for employees.  Shopify does way too much A/B testing in production business accounts.  e.g. they constantly move the preview button from product pages it's so annoying.