What inflicts there will be if I changed my domains?

ZexicZeng
Visitor
1 0 0

Hello,

I'm Niki. Work for acmetoptop.com.

If I want to change my domains on Shopify directly, What inflicts will happen on my store?

Close my store or others?

Please give me some suggestions if I want to change it.

Best!

Niki

Replies 2 (2)

Nick
Shopify Staff (Retired)
4531 434 1024

Hi @ZexicZeng,

Great question!

If you change the domain there are no major changes that will occur other than the domain being changed/ added. There might be some SEO changes to consider but outside of the domain being different, there aren't any major inflictions. 

One thing to note is that, if you swap a domain from one Shopify store to another, the domain from the store you move it from will go back to the default myshopify.com domain which you set up when you opened your store. If you're moving/adding a third-party domain, there are some things to consider though, you can see them here. A store wouldn't be closed by a domain moving, only if you actively close it yourself

If you want to add or change a domain, you can do so by purchasing a domain through Shopify directly or moving a domain you bought from a third-party host

We don't reply to emails directly via the Community, so I have edited that out of your message so it's no longer public for someone else. If you would like to speak to someone directly, don't hesitate to reach out to one of our advisors by logging in here

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

Halothemes
Trailblazer
168 30 44

Hi @ZexicZeng,

When you switch to a new domain name, your existing clients will be unable to access your website if they search for the previous title. As a result, you may lose a considerable number of customers.

We recommend that you create a new domain that links to the previous one. For more information on domain topic, you can contact Shopify for assistance.

If you feel like my answer is helpful, please mark it as a SOLUTION. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Best regards.

HaloThemes - Top Premium Shopify Theme Provider
Ella Shopify Theme OS 2.0 - #1 Best Selling Shopify Theme of All Time
Want to try Shopify? Open a Store for FREE