What is the different between Total Order and Sessions Converted?

Mustang81
Visitor
1 0 0

Hello,

Why there is a difference between the Total Orders I have on a certain day and the Sessions converted?

Sessions converted always shows lover number then the total order

Replies 22 (22)

Victor
Shopify Staff
2422 225 517

Hi @Mustang81,

Thank you for getting in touch with your question! The reason this can happen is some customers may place multiple orders in a single session, which results in the amount of total orders being higher than the number of sessions converted. If, for example, a customer placed two orders back-to-back, this would still only be considered a single session, therefore resulting in two orders and one session converted.

This discrepancy is mentioned in our help documentation:

19-10-u4jmm-dxz0y

I hope this explains things but do let me know if you have more questions!

Kind regards,

Victor | Shopify Social Care

Victor | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Alastair_Colquh
Shopify Partner
2 0 3

I understand the above answer that a single session may result in multiple sales. But this does not explain my predicament. So far today I have 1 order, but 0 sessions showing for Added to Cart, Reached Checkout and Sessions Converted. 

How is it possible to order without registering ANY sessions on Shopify? Google Analytics is also showing 0 sales/conversions.

Could it possibly be that they bought directly via Instagram or Facebook?  Wouldn't this still show up on GA?

die11
Tourist
9 0 4

i would like to know exactly the same, why total orders and sessions converted sometimes are a different number?

die11
Tourist
9 0 4

For example i have in

@die11 wrote:

i would like to know exactly the same, why total orders and sessions converted sometimes are a different number?

one day, total orders 9 and session converted 10 , how it explains?

Victor
Shopify Staff
2422 225 517

Hi @die11,

Thank you for reaching out with your question. There can sometimes be differences in Shopify's analytics that don't seem obvious at an initial glance, and we explain some of them on this page. In the case of the total orders and sessions converted figures being different, this is usually because a customer has placed two or more orders within a single session.

Kind regards,

Victor | Shopify Social Care

sinead_roberts
Visitor
1 0 6

Hi,

This doesn't answer the question. 

His Analytics say "Total Orders" are 1 and "Sessions Converted" are 0.

My store also had a much higher figure for "Total Orders" then "Sessions Converted".  If I add up the total number of individual sales (with no customers duplicated) this is equal to the "Total Orders" value. 

Again there are no multiple sales from the same customer in this period.

southhous
Visitor
2 0 3

Same question today! These situations make me wonder about inaccuracies in the reports that might not be so obvious on days when the numbers are higher. I would love for someone at Shopify to add some insight.

Ferdi12
4 0 0

Yes, there have no repurchase order,Sessions Converted also smaller than orders. I doubt shopify data accuracy.

mertstark
Excursionist
10 0 4

@Victor  thank you first of all for your replies here. 

However all your answers above are from the same angle - we understand this and the help documentation but this doesn't reply to our question here. 

I manage multiple stores and we see the same problem on all of the stores - this is not a glitch or a random mistake.

• We receive 10 orders but converted sessions is 6.
  • No one placed an order on the same day more than one time so there is no multiple within the same session. 

A session is also by default only 30 minutes for Shopify - so it almost never happens that the same persons orders within 30 minutes or in fact within couple of hours again on our stores. 

Could you possibly escalate this within Shopify as it really seems like a technical problem at Shopify which might be being overlooked currently. 

Thanks for your time and help. 

Victor
Shopify Staff
2422 225 517

Hi @mertstark,

Thank you for your feedback on this. My recommendation, if you have not done so already, would be to contact our support team and speak to them about this. Once you have been authenticated and a member of our team is able to access your store, they can view examples of this within your reports and escalate the discrepancies to our technical department if further investigation is required.

runeaarup
Shopify Partner
2 0 2

We have just investigated same problem and found that for some reason for a specific period, Shopify reported orders and session but not conversions. More specifically in our case over a period we had 2000 sessions and 70 orders, but Shopify reported 0 conversions. So that will flaw the totals off course. So if you are checking for a longer period, try breaking it down to single days and see if you can identify exact gaps where data is incorrect, and instead rely on your own metric number of orders divided by number of sessions.

Kiki29
Visitor
1 0 0

Same question over here - every day my sessions converted number is lower than my total orders and looking through orders, there are no duplicate orders from the same customer so how is that possible? Really wish Shopify could give an answer on this one!

mertstark
Excursionist
10 0 4

the answer is simple - Shopify now doesnt count your conversions if users didnt agree to tracking / cookies. So the conversion rate calculation is useless. To calculate the real conversion rate look at your sessions and divide them to the number of orders. You will see that your real conversion rate is higher than what is calculated by Shopify. Your number of orders and number of Sessions are always correct though. 

Cooperman100
Excursionist
16 0 5

I am wondering if anyone has managed to get to the bottom of this.  Same situation for my new store.  32 items bought over 27 orders last month but sessions converted showing as 5.  All orders in Paid/Fulfilled status.  Raised with helpdesk and told it would be investigated but not heard back.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks, Chris

runeaarup
Shopify Partner
2 0 2

I agree it is frustrating. The Shopify analytics is obviously flawed, but it has not been acknowledged by Shopify support staff, who only refers to the list of false explanations given above. In our case, it seems that there a different time periods where conversions are not counted, but we haven't identified any pattern or system causing this.

Cooperman100
Excursionist
16 0 5

OK, thanks for that.  I have also been given a couple of 'cut & paste' false answers that have just reinforced my concern that this issue is not understood and unlikely to be resolved.  I have written up a detailed test case for them from the past 2 months, so I hope to get somewhere.  I will update you here if I make any progress.  Thanks

caitou
Shopify Partner
6 0 1

I am wondering if your analytics data preference is set at "collected before consent" or "collected after consent"? Our store seems to be getting the right numbers when the setting is at "collected before consent", but it becomes incorrect when its "collected after consent"

mertstark
Excursionist
10 0 4

the answer is simple - Shopify now doesnt count your conversions if users didnt agree to tracking / cookies. So the conversion rate calculation is useless. To calculate the real conversion rate look at your sessions and divide them to the number of orders. You will see that your real conversion rate is higher than what is calculated by Shopify. Your number of orders and number of Sessions are always correct though. 

Red2
Shopify Partner
9 1 4

I agree.  Across over 10 stores this is an issue.  I'm advising my clients to ignore the Shopify Conversion Rate and have set up an Google Analytics report that IS an accurate reflection of orders/visitors.

Shopify this is bonkers.  Please update your reports so that the sessions converted clearly shows the description TRACKED sessions converted and calculate the conversion rate using actual orders.

afbs2023
Tourist
3 0 3

Does anybody have an update on this issue? I see this topic was started 4 years ago (!!)

For me the problem started around 3 weeks ago.

For example, When I look at the past 7 days, I have:  111 Sessions converted,  and 171 Total orders.

The "Online store conversaion rate" is incorrect, and I can not develop my webshop based on this conversion rate number anymore, as it is incorrect.

Also all the Conversion rate data within my Shopify Reports are worthless. I even payed for a more expensive subscription to have more worthless reports.

I have contacted Shopify support today, so I'm really curious of what they will come up with. 

Cooperman100
Excursionist
16 0 5

Yes, same issue this end.  Seems to be due to the customer privacy settings in preferences.  basically, if customer does not accept cookies and goes on to make a sale the data from that conversion cannot be captured.  Renders the conversion rate useless.  I was advised to look at third party analystic tools to get around this.  Bonkers.

mertstark
Excursionist
10 0 4

Shopify now doesnt count your conversions if users didnt agree to tracking / cookies. So the conversion rate calculation is useless. To calculate the real conversion rate look at your sessions and divide them to the number of orders. You will see that your real conversion rate is higher than what is calculated by Shopify. Your number of orders and number of Sessions are always correct though.