where can i find my API key of my shopify app?

Solved

where can i find my API key of my shopify app?

mav
Visitor
2 0 1

i cannot find my shopify API Key, please help...

Accepted Solution (1)

Elias
Shopify Staff
3010 294 523

This is an accepted solution.

Hello, @mav.

Elias here with Shopify Support. Thank you for the inquiry. 

You can generate the credentials directly in your admin, this function can be located from your admin under the Apps section. From there, you should see a link for private apps near the bottom. We also have a guide for private apps and it can guide you to generate your API credentials. Please note that it is important to treat the API credentials as you would with any other password as it provides full API access to your store. 

Keep in mind that Shopify’s general support is limited when it comes to private apps. If you are working with a third-party app, you can get assistance from the app developers. Or if you’re looking to build a private app for your store, I recommend working with a Shopify Expert. Shopify Experts are experienced with third-party integrations and can help you with creating a private app.

May I ask what you’re using the API key for?

Elias | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

View solution in original post

Replies 19 (19)

Elias
Shopify Staff
3010 294 523

This is an accepted solution.

Hello, @mav.

Elias here with Shopify Support. Thank you for the inquiry. 

You can generate the credentials directly in your admin, this function can be located from your admin under the Apps section. From there, you should see a link for private apps near the bottom. We also have a guide for private apps and it can guide you to generate your API credentials. Please note that it is important to treat the API credentials as you would with any other password as it provides full API access to your store. 

Keep in mind that Shopify’s general support is limited when it comes to private apps. If you are working with a third-party app, you can get assistance from the app developers. Or if you’re looking to build a private app for your store, I recommend working with a Shopify Expert. Shopify Experts are experienced with third-party integrations and can help you with creating a private app.

May I ask what you’re using the API key for?

focalsoft
Tourist
8 0 1

Hi Elias, I've been looking and looking and found your answer to this post as most helpful with what I need. I'm developing a 3rd-party app for multi-channel sellers and want my users to simply put in their username and password while we auto-generate API keys during the on-boarding process. Is this possible without having to post our software in the Shopify app store? Thanks in advance!

Elias
Shopify Staff
3010 294 523

Hey, @focalsoft.

Thank you for joining the thread and I’m glad to hear that you found the post helpful! I understand you’re looking for a solution to let users enter their username and password, while you auto-generate the API keys during the onboarding for your app. I can’t be sure if this is possible as the API credentials are generated in the admin of each store. That being said, I have seen private/custom apps with a separate login page. I’d recommend double-checking in the Shopify APIs and SDKs discussion board and see if you can find any more information on that. Also, there are more developers on that board that may be able to provide a more concrete answer for you.  

That being said, it is also possible to create a custom app without publishing the app on our app store. However, you may not be able to use the Billing API in that scenario. Is there a reason you don't want your app to be available to more merchants or earn revenue share?

focalsoft
Tourist
8 0 1

Thank you for this. Well, it's not Shopify-specific. It is for multi-channel sellers so we have planned to just be 3rd party instead.

triplejth
Visitor
1 0 0

Can you help me fix that problem asap please when I’m testing should buy my product and when customers buy my product the put the card information in and then is says “not authorise (check API key)” can you please help me asap 

FilipposD
Shopify Partner
45 1 19

@triplejth can you send a detailed description of the problem, with as much information as possible? 

Elias
Shopify Staff
3010 294 523

Hey, @triplejth.

Thank you for joining the thread!

It looks like we’ll need to access your account in order to resolve this issue, as there isn't enough information for me to assist you here. While we’re not able to provide account-specific support via the Shopify Community at this time, our Support team would be happy to continue assisting you through live chat, email, or callback. Please visit the Shopify Help Center and log in to your account to create a support request.

I'd love to know if our Support can help you identify and resolve the issue. Keep me posted!

BassManBrian
Visitor
2 0 0

I am exporting my Shopify products to another company GrooveKart and they are asking for my Shopify API Key. Where do I find my key so that I may import it into their app so that I my transfer my products to my store with them?

Brian Root 

FilipposD
Shopify Partner
45 1 19

1. Go to Apps > Manage private apps > Create new private app > fill in all details including the permissions needed for it to work > Save > Create app > copy the API key and Password

2. Send them the API key and password and this guide to private app authentication: https://shopify.dev/apps/auth/basic-http

Elias
Shopify Staff
3010 294 523

Hey, @BassManBrian.

Thank you for joining thread!

You can generate an Storefront API key under the Apps section from within the Shopify admin, and we've also got a step-by-step guide to assist you with that here: Generate credentials from the Shopify admin. Once that's done, you'll also want to review the permissions as you're essentially granting them access to your store through privates apps. 

If you run into any issues generating an API key or setting up permissions, then this is something that our Support team can help you with. While we’re not able to provide account-specific support via the Shopify Community at this time, we’d be happy to continue assisting you through live chat, email, or callback. Please visit the Shopify Help Center and log in to your account to create a support request.

I'd love to know if this can help you with setting up GrooveKart. Let me know!

salmasalwa
Visitor
1 0 0

I want to integrate payment with xendit

do i should enable private apps development and give them API key code?

thanks

Elias
Shopify Staff
3010 294 523

Hey, @salmasalwa.

I'm not totally sure about integrating payment gateways through private apps. However, if Xendit can be integrated through a private app or an external checkout, then you can enable private apps and grant them API access. That being said, since this is a third-party integration, I'd recommend working with Xendit to set up the integration and making sure you have the right permissions for their private app.

Do you know if Xendit has been integrated with any other Shopify store?

ajdsc
Shopify Partner
1 0 0

This seems outdated for the Admin UI I see.  Apps -> brings up a popup so select Apps from the store. 
Developing Apps has been enabled. 
API Keys are usually under Account Settings for almost every other vendor/app I have seen. 

Elias
Shopify Staff
3010 294 523

Hey, @ajdsc.

There have been some changes made to the admin since 2019, so the private apps and the ability to generate API keys have moved under settings. That being said, I noticed that you're a new Shopify Partner and if you're looking to develop public apps, then I'd recommend taking a look at our developer's guide: Build Shopify Apps.

Once you've had a chance to look over these resources, I'd love to hear more about your experience so far and share some resources to help you get started!

Alexrs94
Visitor
1 0 0

Are there no resources on this anymore? I can't find my API. I'm not trying to be a developer, I'm trying to link to a service, but can't find the API information anywhere. All articles on this are outdated.

Elias
Shopify Staff
3010 294 523

Hey, @Alexrs94.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

I've checked over the linked resources and they do appear to be outdated. However, not to worry, I was able to find our updated guide on custom apps and it can help you generate API credentials for connecting with third-party services. 

Since you're a new member of our Shopify Community, then I'd love to hear more about your business and share some resources to help you get started. What types of products are you selling? Do you have a marketing plan prepared for your store?

McReubens99
Visitor
1 0 0

The info about storefront API keys is still outdated & the link provided doesn't provide any further info to access the storefront key - it's primarily about creating an app not linking to a 3rd party sales channel. 

Elias
Shopify Staff
3010 294 523

Hey, @McReubens99.

Thanks for joining the thread and providing the clarification.

I understand that you're looking to connect a third-party sales channel, and you can try doing this by generating API credentials. I'd recommend taking a look at our guide, Get the API credentials for a custom app. Should you require further assistance, then you can get in touch with us via the Shopify Help Center and we'd be happy to further assist you through live chats. However, it's also important to note that our scope of support may be limited as the integration that you're looking for involves a third-party and you may also need to work with them on resolving some of the issues. To get in touch with us through live chats, simply visit the Shopify Help Center and log into your account to create a support request.

That being said, I noticed that you're also a new member of our Shopify Community and I'd love to hear more about your business!

RyanPossible
Visitor
1 0 0

Were you ever able to sort this out? I want to connect to Seonify and it doesn't seem like anyone knows how to considering they kept making you read stuff that was not anything you were looking for