Why are internal shopify search results so bad?

Everett_Sizemor
Tourist
9 0 1

I help run several Shopify stores and the internal search feature on all of them sucks so badly I just resort to manually scrolling through all of the pages and posts instead of trying to find what I'm looking for with the search feature. I don't understand how this can be so terrible. Is it a different team working on it than on all of the other Shopify features?

useless.jpg

Doing SEO since Alta Vista baby.
Replies 8 (8)
Tira
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1269 90 209

Hey, @Everett_Sizemor

Tira here.

Thanks for your feedback. I’m sorry to hear that this is happening. What was it that you were searching for? I would love to know more so that I can help.

Talk soon,

Tira | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Everett_Sizemor
Tourist
9 0 1
Really, all you have to do is log into a shopify store and try to find some
pages. That's it. Just do that and you'll see.
Yevgeniy_Vaysbe
Shopify Partner
1 0 1

Seriously, it's disgustingly terrible. Billion+ dollar "innovative" corporation cant create basic features for their own tools. Jeeeeeeez.

PaulNewton
Shopify Partner
3431 225 662

@Everett_Sizemor , @Yevgeniy_Vaysbe 

Note first and foremost Shopify is an ecommerce system, CMS is a second class feature.

I.e. it's more tuned for searching product data than blog content.

For in-depth Content Management System consider a full fledged blog system like Wordpress.

Try the advanced syntax 

Beyond that without getting in super specific details about: what your searching, what the result should be, and what you are getting or not getting;  there is very little guidance or support that can be given.

Join the discussion - What was learned this Black Friday?

Answers powered by coffee Buy Paul a ☕ Coffee for more answers or donate to eff.org

Problem Solved? ✔Accept and Like solutions to help future merchants

Confused? Busy? Buy a custom solution paull.newton+shopifyforum@gmail.com
HarveyNguyen
Tourist
5 0 5

Hi @Everett_Sizemor 

I'm Harvey - Social Media Executive at Boost Commerce, which is the creator of Product Filter & Search - a solution that grows more sales for online stores by optimizing the product discovery experience. 

I understand the issue you are facing. Why not try a tool that gives you full options to optimize the site search? Product Filter & Search by Boost Commerce supports Full-text Search, Synonyms, Typo Correction, Search Suggestion Dictionary & more to help you find what you want quickly.

If my answer helped you, please like and accept it as a solution.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Boost Commerce - Boosting sales for over 10,000 active merchants

Website | Facebook | Twitter | LinkedIn | Youtube

Everett_Sizemor
Tourist
9 0 1

Maybe you'd be better off reading the comments from others who agree that this is a problem, rather than pretending it's the user's fault.

Everett_Sizemor
Tourist
9 0 1

This isn't just about blog posts or pages either. The Product search function isn't any better.

PaulNewton
Shopify Partner
3431 225 662

@Everett_Sizemor The product search is incredibly robust as long as you know the advance syntax from the documenation links I provided.

Regardless when you want to see movement on issues it's important to provide concrete examples rather than allusions; such as what terms you are searching, examples of product data, etc.

Join the discussion - What was learned this Black Friday?

Answers powered by coffee Buy Paul a ☕ Coffee for more answers or donate to eff.org

Problem Solved? ✔Accept and Like solutions to help future merchants

Confused? Busy? Buy a custom solution paull.newton+shopifyforum@gmail.com