Why doesn't Shopify allow customer to edit their profile?

Jack_Huang
Tourist
4 0 10

The user portal on the Shopify provides very little capability to allow a customer to edit their profile, for example once the customer is registed, they CANNOT change their name (what happens if the person change their last name after marriage), or change their phone number, or reset their password, or email address ...... however the administrator can do that FOR customer in the Admin portal, very strange. Don't you think?

Replies 14 (14)
tim
Shopify Expert
2925 143 1042

I find it very unconvinient to say the least.

There is an app to deal with it -- Customer Fields if you need this functionality. 

Want to hire me to tweak a theme? Mail me at tairli@yahoo.com!
My post solved your problem? Like it!
Jack_Huang
Tourist
4 0 10

Shouldn't that be built-in, other than relying on the 3rd party app?

tim
Shopify Expert
2925 143 1042

Hmm, absolutely -- there are lots of things which should be built-in and instead are covered by 3rd party apps, which require monthly payments :( 

Want to hire me to tweak a theme? Mail me at tairli@yahoo.com!
My post solved your problem? Like it!
Ellen_Clayton
2 0 6

Hello, could a Shopify representative respond to this question please? When do you plan to add this basic functionality to the Shopify platform?

RohanShopify
5 0 0

Hi,

Did you got any soloution for allowing user to add there own profile image?

Cheers

Rohan

Nikki_Raedel1
Tourist
3 0 5

Hi, did anyone figure out code to allow customers to edit their profiles?

xgravity23
2 0 3

I'm a customer, and I just DMed ShopifySupport on Twitter to request to change my phone number. Ridiculous to me that they store my credit card/billing address/email address/cell phone number, but don't actually provide any (obvious) way for me to update or access any of that. A simple Google search should have turned it up. I'll update once I get an answer.

IgnasMarktek
1 0 0

Exactly, I am facing the same problem. I think the customer can simply e-mail me to ask me to change his e-mail, but this is not safe enough - what if he asks to change an e-mail of somebody else?

Nixon689
2 0 0
Did you get a response? I also need to change my phone number