Solved

You are about to update Facebook is this safe?

ElementDesign
Tourist
7 1 0

Reading through each drop down on the request to update and sync Facebook with shopify, there are some concerns allowing facebook to access all the requests for information.

Financial, customer details etc.  Is this a standard update function?  

Accepted Solution (1)
Shay
Shopify Staff
2744 437 561

This is an accepted solution.

Hi @ElementDesign 

Thank you for following up and sharing the screenshots for me to have a look at. Yes, this is standard procedure and I want to help you in understanding the why behind it! Asking questions about the policies and data access is important, as a lot of the responsibility of this does fall on the store owner. 

When reviewing these types of terms and conditions for a sales channel, you want to consider all the different ways it is going to be connected with your store. With full approvals, the Facebook sales channel will embed a pixel on your store that tracks customer actions and analytical data (helpful for learning more about customer habits on your store), it shares your product catalog with Facebook so that your Facebook Shop has your products available, with that there is also the checkout integration from your Facebook Shop to your Shopify store as well. 

When we look at the connection points, the information that Facebook requires or requests starts to make a bit more sense. Approving Facebook to have access to that data may not necessarily mean that they are pulling it from every order on your store but that they have the ability to do so when required. 

I hope that information helps and if you have additional questions please let me know. 

Shay | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

View solution in original post

Replies 3 (3)

Shay
Shopify Staff
2744 437 561

Hi @ElementDesign 

Thank you for reaching out to the community forums and sharing your concerns about what information Facebook is able to access about your customers and your business.

To better help you understand why these requests are being made, are you able to share a screenshot showing where you are seeing this prompt and what the specific requests are? Depending on what areas it wants to access it could be related to Instagram Checkout or allowing customers to purchase through your online shop. I'm happy to look into this with you!

Thank you,

-Shay

ElementDesign
Tourist
7 1 0

IMG_1267 (2).PNGIMG_1268 (2).PNGIMG_1269 (2).PNGScreen Shot 2021-10-07 at 7.33.07 pm (1).png

Hi Shay, 

Please see attached photos.  I have tried to email previously however not sure if you received as I haven't heard from anyone.

We are just concerned about all the information that is being collected.  Is this just the standard process?

Thanks Natasha

Shay
Shopify Staff
2744 437 561

This is an accepted solution.

Hi @ElementDesign 

Thank you for following up and sharing the screenshots for me to have a look at. Yes, this is standard procedure and I want to help you in understanding the why behind it! Asking questions about the policies and data access is important, as a lot of the responsibility of this does fall on the store owner. 

When reviewing these types of terms and conditions for a sales channel, you want to consider all the different ways it is going to be connected with your store. With full approvals, the Facebook sales channel will embed a pixel on your store that tracks customer actions and analytical data (helpful for learning more about customer habits on your store), it shares your product catalog with Facebook so that your Facebook Shop has your products available, with that there is also the checkout integration from your Facebook Shop to your Shopify store as well. 

When we look at the connection points, the information that Facebook requires or requests starts to make a bit more sense. Approving Facebook to have access to that data may not necessarily mean that they are pulling it from every order on your store but that they have the ability to do so when required. 

I hope that information helps and if you have additional questions please let me know.