Your payments from Shopify payments are on hold while we review your account. .

freedomnat
4 0 0

5 days ago I got the following message on my Shopify Dashboard 'Your payments from Shopify payments are on hold while we review your account. This is a standard review. This hold does not prevent your customers from checking out.'

I checked my email for further information, no email. I contacted Shopify chat, but they can't tell me why this has happened; I'm told it's been escalated and standard review will takes 1-3 business days to complete. However, 5 business days have passed and still no news.

WIth a legal background, I consider that Shopify has unlawfully seized my pending payments. I am considering legal action  in a United States court. Why? Shopify needs a lawful basis to be able to seize payments that have been made in the context of a legally binding contract between two parties that it is not a party to.

In that sense, if account verification is required, that is a process that should be completed before Shopify allows its platform to be used as an online payment gateway for online stores that it hosts.  In the alternative, there should be a specified time period to resolve an issue before payments are suspended.

This is a very serious issue. For the record, Shopify's actions is damaging my business and I believe that there may be liability.

Then again, I'm just one person. But I do believe something needs to change here because the current process is unfair and in my view, is on a shaky legal foundation.

Just checked my email. Still no news from Shopify.

Replies 3 (3)

ShopDoc
Shopify Partner
38 1 0

I've seen this happen when you don't provide shipping information on orders. Are you doing that?

freedomnat
4 0 0

Thanks for the information, so far we have just made 6 sales, i have added back all the shipping information. But still, no update. Standard review is still on going.

Summer
Shopify Staff
1326 318 226

Hey, @freedomnat

I understand you have a concern regarding your Shopify Payments account. For clarification on the payout hold, please feel free to refer to Section B.3 of the Shopify Payments Terms of Service (Verification and Underwriting). 

While we aim to complete reviews swiftly, we can’t guarantee a specific timeframe as it depends on several factors. Rest assured, our Shopify Payments team is working diligently to review each account as quickly as possible. We greatly appreciate your patience and cooperation as we meet the requirements set by our banking partners.

Summer | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog