Discount code cannot be applied in the payment step of the checkout page

Flyingdev
Tourist
11 0 2

Hello all,

Discount code are not applied on the Shopify checkout page sometimes. There is a field for Gift Card or Discount Code in the checkout page but it sometimes changes to Gift Card only. When the field is Gift Card, we can't apply discount codes. The discount code field changes to Gift card in the payment step of the checkout page. I want the field to be always for Gift Card or Discount Code.

For a better understanding, you can watch this video.
https://www.loom.com/share/da111cc2261d480f81085280a782c309

Is someone able to help me fix this issue? Is it possible to make the gift card filed always for Gift Card or Discount Code?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thank you

Replies 6 (6)

Don
Shopify Staff
2762 199 388

Hi there @Flyingdev!

Don here from Shopify.

Thanks for getting in touch with us here in the Community and for sharing the video capture of your query, that's great!

As per our discount code FAQ, it would only be possible for one discount code to be applied to an order at a time.

Because you added a code to this order during the checkout flow, it would not be possible to add another, and the language changes to reflect this requirement.

This makes it clearer to the customer that it would not be possible to add further discount codes, but that they can still use a gift card as payment towards their order.

Are you working on developing stores for clients, or would this be your own store you're working on?

Let me know if you have any further questions or if there's anything we can help out with here at all!

Regards,

Don

Don | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Flyingdev
Tourist
11 0 2

Hello Don!

Thank you for your reply. But I can still add a discount code in the first two steps on the checkout page and it counts towards the total price in the cart. However, I can't add the discount code only in the last step, when the field changes to Gift Card. The issue is that we can add discount codes in the first two steps but we can't add discount codes in the last step. You'll see the issue if you watch the video more carefully. 

I am working on developing stores for clients. We want the discount code field to be always Gift Card or Discount Code. I didn't add any discount code in the example I showed in the video. There was an automatic discount but we still can apply a discount code in the first two steps of the checkout.

If your statement is really the reason why we can't add a discount code, we should not be able to apply the discount code in the first two steps as well. 

"Because you added a code to this order during the checkout flow, it would not be possible to add another, and the language changes to reflect this requirement."

It doesn't make sense to customers. 

It would be great if you watch the video more carefully and give me more correct answers. Thanks. I look forward to hearing back from you. 

Best regards, 

@Flyingdev 

Don
Shopify Staff
2762 199 388

Hi there @Flyingdev!

Don from Shopify once again.

Apologies for any confusion here and allow me to clarify.

I should have said it is only possible to have one discount (of either type) in place for an order.

So, if you have an automatic discount set up and active for an order, it would not also be possible for you to add a manual discount via a code.

I'd recommend you familiarise yourself with how automatic discounts work here on our help site, of particular relevance is this section:

_21-02-4of7d-abmdl

If you'd like to file a feature request to change how this works in Shopify I'd be only too happy to file that on your behalf.

Just share some info on the exact functionality you'd like to see, why this is important to your business, and a link to your store (if different than the one we've been working with here) I can file that request with our developer team on your behalf.

All the best!

Regards,

Don

Flyingdev
Tourist
11 0 2

Hi Don, 

The problem is that we're still able to apply the discount code in the first step of the checkout, even though an automatic discount was applied to a cart. 

http://prntscr.com/z3g1me

http://prntscr.com/z3gpda

If we apply the discount code in the first step the discount code works but if we apply the discount code in the final step of the checkout it doesn't work. That's the problem we need to resolve. 

The website URL is znaturalfoods.com. 

If you are still unclear how can we connect? 

I look forward to hearing from you. 

Thank you, 

@Flyingdev 

Don
Shopify Staff
2762 199 388

Hi again @Flyingdev!

Don from Shopify once again.

Thanks for those screenshots for further context.

In order to troubleshoot further and investigate this via your account directly, you'll just need to reach out to support via our help centre.

You can share what we have checked out here with them (you could even share a link to this post directly so they can review) and they will be able to authenticate and verify your identity so it will be possible to discuss your account info specifically.

I would make them aware if this is your store or you're working on it for a client, what theme you are using (Shopify, third-party, custom), and if you have any apps in place that would apply or affect how discounts work for your store.

All the best!

Regards,

Don

freindlyfelines
Visitor
1 0 0

Hello, we are experiencing this same problem and really struggling to find a solution. Did you find a fix for this in the end? We have NO automatic discounts active on our store. Some customers get to the checkout and see a box for 'gift card or discount code' and others just see 'gift card' 

If the box says 'gift card or discount code' then of course all our active codes work with no issue. But if it says 'gift card' the discount codes do not work because they are not gift card codes. 

Why is this happening?