Multicurrency in Checkout without Shopify Payments

Solved

Multicurrency in Checkout without Shopify Payments

Frostp1
Tourist
8 1 0

Hello,

I am looking into finding out more info on if it’s possible to enable multi-currency conversion in Shopify’s checkout using apps or with custom scripts and if so, what are the options. The store I’m working on is going to sell CBD products and unfortunately, Stripe isn’t going to be an option. So far the Apps inform that they can’t convert the currency automatically in the checkout page, however, will the “Plus” plan allow them to do so? I would appreciate all possible suggestions to solve this!

Accepted Solution (1)
Frostp1
Tourist
8 1 0

This is an accepted solution.

Hey,

Not exactly. I was able to dig out correct answers to my question of which I am 99% certain of. In short - there are absolutely no workarounds to display localized currencies in the checkout page without Shopify Payments. In a bit more details:
-Shopify Payments (as in it's own payment provider who allegedly isn't partnered with anybody) states that they don't provide payment services if you are selling CBD products, however, some are still eligable to use Shopify Payments whilst selling CBD products (for ex.: hdrop.com and naturecan.com checkout pages show different currencies when visited from different countries using VPN. Unless they had setup multiple Shopify stores for each country, which I highly doubt is the case)
-Other than the apparent lottery with legibility (if I was correct), Shopify Payments might not even be supported in the country at which you have registered your Shopify store in. This is my case scenario so I wasn't even able to test if I've won the lottery or not.

So those two major limitations prevented me from having a fully localized store, which can 'scare off' our potential customers and normally, it's best to look for alternative places to build your web store in. Since we didn't know this until after finishing building our web store, I've built a custom workaround in Dawn theme to avoid paying an additional montly fee for a store front currency converter app (our current monthly cost for Shopify is ~109$, mainly because of some shipping options - we need to show and allow the customer to choose his nearest Post Machine based on his delivery address and for such functionality, we need to have that middle "Shopify" plan to then be eligible for such an extended functionality which also costs and additional 20$ on top, unless you're paying for that plan annually, but in any case I'd add this as a third major problem). Also, all of those apps convert the price with a delay because they can't exactly modify template code, every theme's code is different and also, in my case, the apps I've tried broke the Cart drawer code and or didn't do their job at all. In my own workaround - I used Meta Objects, modified the Price templates (`.liquid` files), added a message to the Cart template saying that the checkout currency will be in euros, and also added some Javascript to the Cart, since it is updated without refreshing the page, modifying the template isn't an option. As a result, almost most of the store front pages show prices instantly and in multiple currencies with no delay, though as I've mentioned the checkout page will still always be in euros. A small downside to my approach is that we need to change the exchange rate manually in those Meta Objects. We could try to find a free server where we could host an app that updates the rate automatically every month or so, but most of the free solutions I've found are not suitable. Paying for a server just for that is currently not worth it.

If you have this similar issue where you need localized currency in checkout but aren't eligible for Shopify Payments, especially forced to pay extra ~70$ for a relatively small feature - I'd highly recommend trying out alternative e-commerce platforms.

View solution in original post

Replies 15 (15)
Frostp1
Tourist
8 1 0

Thank you for the reply

Any app that I have tried only tells me that I need Shopify Payments to convert currency in the Checkout page, which to me solely defeats the purpose using an App in the first place, since Shopify would have done that itself for me. Do they need the "Plus" plan to convert the currency in the Checkout page?

Kimi
Shopify Staff
1511 169 263

Hi, @Frostp1.

Currently, Shopify Payments is a requirement for stores to enable multi currency on checkout. If your client's business isn't supportable by Shopify Payments, you'll need to use a third-party payment provider on the store, meaning that all orders will be processed in the store's default currency. There isn't a workaround for this I'm afraid, as this is currently a limitation of our Shopify Markets feature as explained in this help document.

We typically encourage users to explore and use a currency converter app from our Shopify App Store, which sounds like something that you've done. To clarify however, these currency converter apps will mostly just display a different currency to customers when they're browsing on the storefront. So even with the help of one of these apps, customers will still checkout and pay for their order in the store's default currency if Shopify Payments isn't active.

I understand the need to expand the multi currency feature on checkout to other payment gateways, so I'll be sure to pass this as feedback to our internal development team. While I can't guarantee if or when changes will be implemented to the platform, you can keep track of our latest releases via the Changelog here.

Kimi | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Frostp1
Tourist
8 1 0

Hi, @Kimi

By any chance can you confirm (or deny) that even with the Shopify Plus plan, no App (or even myself by editing the checkout.liquid file) can "visually" convert the store's default currency?

Kimi
Shopify Staff
1511 169 263

@Frostp1 

Can you elaborate on what you mean by visually converting the store's currency?

If you'd just like to showcase the currency visually throughout the store's website, this can be done via a third-party currency converter app. For anything to do with the checkout however, most notably allowing customers to see and process their local currency on checkout, having Shopify Payments enabled on a store is a hard requirement. This is mentioned in this help guide, as well as this one here.

Even on the Plus plan, there are limitations on what you can customize on a store's checkout. We've detailed a list of the ways that you can extend a checkout page on the Plus plan in this document.

Frostp1
Tourist
8 1 0

Thanks for the support @Kimi

What I've meant visually is the same as what the apps currently do - convert and replace the price and currency symbol on products in the storefront (which in my case is Euros) with the customer's local currency (to for example Poland Zlotty) using JavaScript. I haven't found an exact answer, though from what I've read so far and what the Shopify Live Chat support has told me is that with the Plus plan, I will be able to convert the Euro price to the customer's local currency in the Checkout page as well, not just the storefront before that.

If this appears as though I won't actually be able to do that in the Checkout page then what would be my options? I am going to sell CBD oil products for which Stripe in particular won't accept payments. I've seen two Shopify store examples that also sell CBD oil products and are able to show local currency on the checkout page:
hdrop.com
naturecan.com

Can you let me know the options to achieve this? Perhaps there is another payment processor on the Shopify Payments list except for Paypal that accepts payments for CBD oil products?

Thank you in advance

Kimi
Shopify Staff
1511 169 263

@Frostp1 

Gotcha, thanks for clarifying.

As previously mentioned, checkout customizations on the Plus plan also have its limitations. We're also moving away from and are deprecating the checkout.liquid layout, so we don't recommend making any edits to the checkout using this method. We encourage users to instead use checkout extensibility to edit their checkout page, which gives users the ability to make code-free customizations to their checkout. There are bespoke apps that can help further extend the functionality of your checkout — again however, limitations occur for what you can edit.

When it comes to showing local currencies to customers on checkout, Shopify Payments is a hard requirement. Even apps that can help your store achieve this functionality, such as the Transcy app, require that stores use Shopify Payments, whether on the Plus plan or not. There isn't a workaround for this I'm afraid, as previously mentioned, as this is a current limitation of our Shopify Markets feature that cannot be bypassed via customizations.

I can't comment or provide information on how this feature may be utilized or available on other stores, as this goes against our Privacy Policy. For payment gateways that stores can look into for their CBD products though, we typically recommend DigiPay or Bankful. Again, because they are third-party payment providers however, they won't allow your store to offer local currency on checkout.

I understand that my reply isn't probably what you'd like to hear, as I know how important it is to be able to offer the local currency feature on checkout for customers. As mentioned in my earlier reply, I've passed your feedback on to our internal development team, so perhaps this could be something that we will look into expanding in the future for more stores rather than just those that are utlizing the Shopify Payments gateway.

Appreciate your time and understanding!

Frostp1
Tourist
8 1 0

@Kimi

Thank you for the reply.

That is unfortunate for me as so far it is still hard to explain how did my competitors manage change the currency in checkout for their ".uk" and other handlers. All their domains still point to the same IP address, which leads me to believe that they did not duplicate and setup multiple Shopify accounts with stores to change the base currency.

I'll hope that one day I'll stumble upon the solution they use

WhiteWater_Web
Shopify Partner
461 17 42

Who are the competitors (what are their website links)? We can help take a look at this.

Cheers.

WhiteWater Web

A certified Shopify Partner and Expert, WhiteWater Web (WWW) is a premium digital solutions company specializing in advanced Shopify Dev, Usability/Design, and Online Strategy. WWW has been working with the Shopify platform since 2006.
info@whitewatersolutions.com
Frostp1
Tourist
8 1 0

Hi @WhiteWater_Web 

Thanks for the reply!

Their links are:
hdrop.com
naturecan.com

hazzardt
Tourist
22 0 1

hey, were you able to find a workaround?

Shopify support is of no use, as usual

Frostp1
Tourist
8 1 0

This is an accepted solution.

Hey,

Not exactly. I was able to dig out correct answers to my question of which I am 99% certain of. In short - there are absolutely no workarounds to display localized currencies in the checkout page without Shopify Payments. In a bit more details:
-Shopify Payments (as in it's own payment provider who allegedly isn't partnered with anybody) states that they don't provide payment services if you are selling CBD products, however, some are still eligable to use Shopify Payments whilst selling CBD products (for ex.: hdrop.com and naturecan.com checkout pages show different currencies when visited from different countries using VPN. Unless they had setup multiple Shopify stores for each country, which I highly doubt is the case)
-Other than the apparent lottery with legibility (if I was correct), Shopify Payments might not even be supported in the country at which you have registered your Shopify store in. This is my case scenario so I wasn't even able to test if I've won the lottery or not.

So those two major limitations prevented me from having a fully localized store, which can 'scare off' our potential customers and normally, it's best to look for alternative places to build your web store in. Since we didn't know this until after finishing building our web store, I've built a custom workaround in Dawn theme to avoid paying an additional montly fee for a store front currency converter app (our current monthly cost for Shopify is ~109$, mainly because of some shipping options - we need to show and allow the customer to choose his nearest Post Machine based on his delivery address and for such functionality, we need to have that middle "Shopify" plan to then be eligible for such an extended functionality which also costs and additional 20$ on top, unless you're paying for that plan annually, but in any case I'd add this as a third major problem). Also, all of those apps convert the price with a delay because they can't exactly modify template code, every theme's code is different and also, in my case, the apps I've tried broke the Cart drawer code and or didn't do their job at all. In my own workaround - I used Meta Objects, modified the Price templates (`.liquid` files), added a message to the Cart template saying that the checkout currency will be in euros, and also added some Javascript to the Cart, since it is updated without refreshing the page, modifying the template isn't an option. As a result, almost most of the store front pages show prices instantly and in multiple currencies with no delay, though as I've mentioned the checkout page will still always be in euros. A small downside to my approach is that we need to change the exchange rate manually in those Meta Objects. We could try to find a free server where we could host an app that updates the rate automatically every month or so, but most of the free solutions I've found are not suitable. Paying for a server just for that is currently not worth it.

If you have this similar issue where you need localized currency in checkout but aren't eligible for Shopify Payments, especially forced to pay extra ~70$ for a relatively small feature - I'd highly recommend trying out alternative e-commerce platforms.

hazzardt
Tourist
22 0 1

Thanks for such detailed answer. Was afraid you’d say that. I’ve check your examples yesterday, especially naturecan, but they don’t seem to be using Shopify Payments, since I am pretty sure Shop Pay is automatically enabled if you use one? I think. But you’re totally right, I don’t believe they’ve set up a seperate store for each market. That would eat up a lof of revenue.

Actually in the same boat as you. Only found out about this issue after spending countless of hours coding my website features. I can’t believe something so simple isn’t available on a platform like Shopify. So much for “sell worldwide” motto.

Frostp1
Tourist
8 1 0

Not sure about the Shop Pay part. If I remember correctly, at least one of them had that button, though Shopify Payments enables that localized currency at checkout under the hood, which is what both of them have.

In a way, I can understand that it isn't easy to provide Payments worldwide, especially whilst trying to support as many hight risk products as possible, being that some countries can and will ban your services if you don't follow their regulations, plus lots of other difficulties on top. But what I don't understand is why on earth would they not allow localization and even force to pay a higher price just to have one additional functionality such as a third-party carrier-calculated shipping. Hope they change course some day, maybe even this year.

hazzardt
Tourist
22 0 1

Yeah, not really sure about Shop Pay! Just something I noticed with stores that support multiple currencies.

exactly! Shopify support told me it is due to wxchange happening AFTER the sale. But they could still force flat price for each currency. Which most stores do nowadays anyway, therefore exchange rate wouldn’t be needed before purchase.

hazzardt
Tourist
22 0 1

Also just found out about an old plugin:

https://www.mlveda.com/multi-currency-checkout

It used to support currency exchange, even at checkout. People were able to pay in their own currency. Guess what? Shopify decided to disallow it. Reasoning? Probably so people would use Shopify Payments. Obviously they don't care about other countries, as long as the ones they support do well and they make enough money.