Solved

Color swatch in a multi-language website

Pandora001
Excursionist
14 2 4

I've translated my Shopify into a second language. 

The color swatches I have are custom (I uploaded a color png and added alt-text to the variant).

But as I have translated the colors in french, the alt-text (in english) no longer applies. 

How can I have the same result in french as in English? 

Please see the images below.

In English

Capture d’écran 2023-01-02 à 13.54.16.png

 In French

Capture d’écran 2023-01-02 à 13.54.26.png

Accepted Solution (1)
Pandora001
Excursionist
14 2 4

This is an accepted solution.

So i found the solution, 

1. you CAN put multiple alt-texts, just don't use semi-colomns, write them as follows.

Capture d’écran 2023-01-08 à 12.20.43.png

2. for the color swatch: translate them in the translator app! don't just add them in the theme 

And now it works just fine !

View solution in original post

Replies 7 (7)

richbrown_staff
Shopify Staff
625 90 153

Hey @Pandora001 - is it possible the URL path of the PNG files has been auto-translated?

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

Pandora001
Excursionist
14 2 4

Hi ! 

I'm translating this page into french and use alt-text in the product section to define the color swatch
for example: "#color_spring tan" 

but once the colors are in french, and the alt-text remains in English, it cannot match. and I have no idea how to work around this.
Many thanks for your time!

Pandora001
Excursionist
14 2 4

I thought I had found the solution by adding the french swatch to my theme setting but it still doesn't work. 

Capture d’écran 2023-01-04 à 16.37.17.png

richbrown_staff
Shopify Staff
625 90 153

Are you able to upload a wholly separate image for French (Settings > Files) with the French alt text there, then translate to that image?

Pandora001
Excursionist
14 2 4

This is an accepted solution.

So i found the solution, 

1. you CAN put multiple alt-texts, just don't use semi-colomns, write them as follows.

Capture d’écran 2023-01-08 à 12.20.43.png

2. for the color swatch: translate them in the translator app! don't just add them in the theme 

And now it works just fine !

richbrown_staff
Shopify Staff
625 90 153

Fantastic - thanks for updating

irene-apparel
Tourist
11 1 2

Hi, I have the same problem, can you help please? How do you actually translate color swatches to a different language? I don't see it anywhere in the Localization app. For example, I uploaded a custom pink color with the filename pink.png, but the actual color should say "рожевий". I can't upload a file with this name, because it's non-Latin and doesn't get recognized by the system, so can I just keep the filename pink.png and then somehow translate it on the front end? How?

Thanks