Custom URLs in Multilanguage site

Pura-web
Tourist
7 0 1

I am using image URLs and a navigation URLs to link to tagged archives for my blog. These links don't appear in the Shopify link dropdown and are therefore custom. However, the site is multilingual in English and Arabic, so for the Arabic version it needs to be a different URL (with /ar/). How can I adjust/translate this to make sure it works on both languages? Thank you!

Screenshot 2023-01-17 at 14.45.06.png

Screenshot 2023-01-17 at 14.44.46.png

Replies 6 (6)

richbrown_staff
Shopify Staff
603 87 146

Hey @Pura-web - this is an interesting one, could you share here or DM me the store? 

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

Pura-web
Tourist
7 0 1

I've sent you a DM!

richbrown_staff
Shopify Staff
603 87 146

Thanks for this. Unfortunately it's not possible to link in a non-hard coded way to second level tags. Could you create more blogs? 

Pura-web
Tourist
7 0 1

Hello @richbrown_staff . I managed to solve it by translating the URLs through Translate & Adapt.

I have another issue however with translating the tags of my blogs. Do you know how I can achieve this, I can't find it in the translate app? Or should I open another thread for this?

richbrown_staff
Shopify Staff
603 87 146

Hi @Pura-web - I'd be keen to learn more about that solution.

Tags (both for blogs and products) are unfortunately not yet translatable. This is because they can by definition be used across multiple resources, so have greater technical complexity. Could there be a workaround of again either making more blogs, or even having images of tags and localizing those? For example:

richbrown_staff_0-1674598322543.png

linked to /blogs/news/tagged/exhibition

And 'translate' that to (done via Google Translate):

richbrown_staff_1-1674598461496.png

Linked to /ar/blogs/news/tagged/exhibition

It's perhaps an awkward workaround but there isn't a direct native one for tags as yet. There may also be third party app solutions, e.g. this one.

Pura-web
Tourist
7 0 1

@richbrown_staffOf course. For the navigation, I changed the structure of the link from for example https://info-8104.myshopify.com/blogs/portfolio/tagged/commercial to /blogs/portfolio/tagged/commercial.
As for the images and buttons, I went into the Translate & Adapt app, and the URLs where there as an option to change in Theme Sections.

And thank you for your extensive explanation. I am interested in replacing the tags with images. Would that also work in the tag navigation seen in https://info-8104.myshopify.com/blogs/portfolio/tagged/commercial? Could you please explain to me how I upload and connect these images to the tags?