Solved

How can I import product translations to a new store?

SorenSkyum
Shopify Partner
6 1 9

Hi,

We are trying to add our products and translations (languages) to files under version control to be able to re-add them to a Store or even adding them to a new Store.

For the product export/import we are looking at the Matrixify app (https://apps.shopify.com/excel-export-import), which does a pretty good job of this, but it does not currently handle translations for the products.

Using the built in export of languages from settings it is possible to export all the translations, however the export links translations of product fields and metadata fields using the ID of the object. This could be fine for re-importing to the same Store, but since Shopify generates new ID's on a new store, we cannot use this to import the translations to another store.

We could build this functionality ourselves using the Admin API's, however it seems like a fairly basic requirement so I'm wondering if there is any easy way of solving this?

Any help will be appreciated!

Accepted Solution (1)

richbrown_staff
Shopify Staff
632 91 154

This is an accepted solution.

Hi @SorenSkyum thanks for this. A couple of things:

• If by version control you mean Git I'd warn that translations don't currently work well with Git and you should avoid this approach.
  • To move translations from one store to another, there isn't a programmatic way of doing it because as you say the IDs all change. However I have put together a fairly easy workaround here. Follow the instructions here with the exception of filtering down to ONLINE_STORE_THEME (as you want all translations). This matches the default content and pulls in the relevant translation.

Let me know any problems, but this should get you up and running.

Rich

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

View solution in original post

Replies 2 (2)

richbrown_staff
Shopify Staff
632 91 154

This is an accepted solution.

Hi @SorenSkyum thanks for this. A couple of things:

• If by version control you mean Git I'd warn that translations don't currently work well with Git and you should avoid this approach.
  • To move translations from one store to another, there isn't a programmatic way of doing it because as you say the IDs all change. However I have put together a fairly easy workaround here. Follow the instructions here with the exception of filtering down to ONLINE_STORE_THEME (as you want all translations). This matches the default content and pulls in the relevant translation.

Let me know any problems, but this should get you up and running.

Rich

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

SorenSkyum
Shopify Partner
6 1 9

Thanks Rich,

Very helpfull - that is actually the workaround we decided on as well.

Regards,

Søren.