404 error - subdomain to sub sub domain

SimonDewaele
Excursionist
19 0 1

Hi all,

I'm looking to fix our 404 errors in Shopify. We have opened up multiple markets, but since this caused many many URL's to be created (through many subdomains), we now decided to remove these markets for now. A second reason for this is the 404 errors I encounter regarding the URLs from subdomains.

SimonDewaele_0-1674662366604.png

See above, the picture, in which a product page with a specific subdomain (NL market) links to another URL towards the same product, but with a "double" subdomain in the URL:

https://gimmyproducts.com/nl-nl/products/gimmy-energy-supplement-gummies

>>

https://gimmyproducts.com/en-nl/nl-nl/products/gimmy-energy-supplement-gummies

The problems I face:

1. I cannot find the specific link on that product page

2. The problem occurs multiple times (for different market/language combinations), so there should be a structural solution to this.

Anyone can help me out? 

Thanks a lot!

Simon

Co-Founder of GIMMY
Reply 1 (1)

olasunkanmi
Shopify Partner
32 0 8

To help fix your 404 errors, you can take the following steps:

1. Redirect the old URLs to the correct ones. You can use a tool like the Shopify Redirect app or set up redirects in your .htaccess file. This will ensure that users who click on the old links are automatically redirected to the correct URL.

2. Remove the links from your website that point to the incorrect URLs. This will prevent new users from encountering the 404 error.

3. Update your sitemap.xml file to include only the correct URLs. This will help search engines understand the new structure of your website and ensure that your pages are indexed correctly.

4. Monitor your website for any new 404 errors. You can use a tool like Google Search Console to get notifications when a 404 error occurs, and then take action to fix it.

5. Consider using a rel="canonical" tag on your product pages. This will indicate to search engines which version of a page is the preferred one and can help avoid issues with duplicate content.

If you are still encountering issues, it may be helpful to reach out to a Shopify expert or a web developer for further assistance

Mr Biodun Solved This