Cover video file size increasing

Cuddlies
Visitor
1 0 1

I uploaded a video to Shopify. This Video is showing as 701kb in size in the Shopify files section (this matches the file size I see on my laptop).

Link to the file In  Shopify  https://cdn.shopify.com/videos/c/o/v/17e353d5a9ad488ba16706a91a3929b6.mp4

When I run the Theme Preview through GTMatrix its appearing as 3.13MB file 

https://cdn.shopify.com/videos/c/vp/17e353d5a9ad488ba16706a91a3929b6/17e353d5a9ad488ba16706a91a3929b...

First, I assumed this was a caching issue. I tried a different video with a different name and am having the same issue.

Reply 1 (1)

flareAI
Shopify Partner
2405 223 535

Hello @Cuddlies,

This is Gina from flareAI  app helping Shopify merchants get $7Million+ in sales from Google Search, on autopilot.

If you are experiencing a discrepancy in the file size of your video between the Shopify files section and the GTMatrix Theme Preview, there could be several reasons for this

- Caching can influence video loading times, it is unlikely to cause a significant increase in file size. Caching generally enhances resource loading speed without modifying the file size itself.

- When you upload a video to Shopify, it might undergo compression and encoding to optimize it for web playback and reduce the file size. As a result, the video in the Shopify files section might be smaller than the original video on your laptop.

- The GTMatrix Theme Preview might utilize a different method for loading the video or may not take advantage of the compression applied by Shopify. Consequently, the video file size appears larger in the GTMatrix Theme Preview.

To address the issue or gain a better understanding of the discrepancy, you can take the following steps.

- Confirm that the video format is consistent between Shopify and GTMatrix. Different video formats can have varying compression levels, which can impact the file size.

- Check the compression settings and encoding used when uploading the video to Shopify. Although Shopify automatically optimizes images and videos, there might be different settings applied during the Theme Preview.

- Utilize a video analysis tool to examine the detailed properties of the video in both GTMatrix and Shopify. This can help identify any differences in resolution, bit rate, or encoding.

- If you are unable to determine the cause of the issue, seek assistance from Shopify support. They may be able to provide insights into any potential glitches or disparities in how videos are handled between the files section and the Theme Preview.

- If possible, try previewing your video on different themes within Shopify. This can help determine if the issue is specific to a particular theme.

Don't hesitate to ask if you need any further clarification.

Gina

flareAI : Get Sales from Google Search, on Autopilot
$10+ billion in eCommerce on Google Search, every day. Find out how much you are missing