Does it matter for site speed if I upload images from the product page or into settings > files?

Solved
AndreiSu
3 0 0

Hello,

Does it matter for site speed if I upload images directly from the product page or if I first upload them into the settings > files and then use their URLs to add these images to my product page?

The reason why I'm asking is that I've heard there's something called CDN and that all the images uploaded from settings > files are benefiting from it, which can be seen from their URLs that are assigned a version (like v=1635064649) showing that this image is stored in CDN.

But the images uploaded directly from the product page don't have this extra URL extension. Does that mean that they do not benefit from CDN and are slower to load?

Also, all of my images are bout 40-80 KB, should I even bother?

Thank you

Accepted Solution (1)

Accepted Solutions
Elias
Shopify Staff
1420 134 211

This is an accepted solution.

Hello, @AndreiSu.

Thank you for posting this question!

There isn't a difference to uploading images directly to your products or through the Files settings, as all assets (eg. images, files, CSS, scripts, etc.) are stored and delivered by our CDN. 

I hope this helps clarify your questions! If you have any other questions on this topic, don't hesitate to let me know!

Elias | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

View solution in original post

Reply 1 (1)
Elias
Shopify Staff
1420 134 211

This is an accepted solution.

Hello, @AndreiSu.

Thank you for posting this question!

There isn't a difference to uploading images directly to your products or through the Files settings, as all assets (eg. images, files, CSS, scripts, etc.) are stored and delivered by our CDN. 

I hope this helps clarify your questions! If you have any other questions on this topic, don't hesitate to let me know!

Elias | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

View solution in original post