How can I get better score speed?

Worags
Tourist
8 0 1

Hello with Worags,

Currently, I have a score speed of around 30. The speed is bad for mobile. I know that images may slow your site down. I have tried to optimize it by Photoshop's option: "Save for Web". There was no improvement. I have realized that unused Javascript code slows my website down. Is there a specific file to delete unused code on your site? I ask this because there are a lot of maps in the "Edit Code" section of your site. I don't want to mess my site up by deleting the wrong code. The Google Developer tool for sites was used and the record tool was also tried. But I get stuck after that. 

Any help might be appreciated.

Thank you!

My friendly regards,

Worags 

Replies 4 (4)

JohnCodes
Shopify Partner
134 10 74

Hi @Worags 

I'd start by running your URL through our free analysis tool, the Shopify Analyzer. It'll give you some actionable insights into what can be done to potentially improve your website's performance.

Regarding removing unused JavaScipt, this is usually something that can't be improved very much. A lot of those warnings are related to 3rd party apps, which insert code into your theme and can only be accessed by their development teams. 

For image optimizations, there are a few things we recommend you do:

• Compress all possible images with an app like Crush.pics
  • Convert any PNG formatted images into JPG to reduce file sizes. Just keep in mind that if the image has transparent features then this optimization doesn't apply.
  • Ensure you're loading images at their optimal sizes.

Those are some main image optimization actions you can take. I'd recommend checking out our full optimization guide: How to Optimize a Shopify Site: Complete Guide to Faster Load Speed that goes into more detail on image optimizations + other common optimizations you can do.

Your speed score of 30 is actually within the average range we see. We typically see speed scores range between 15-30. This doesn't necessarily mean your site is performing slow since many other metrics go into calculating this score. We have an article that goes into more detail on Shopify's speed score: Shopify Speed Tool Analysis + How to Make Your Site Faster.

I definitely wouldn't go in and delete any code within your theme unless you're confident you know what it's doing. If you do want to perform any optimizations yourself just remember to make a duplicate of your live theme first.

Feel free to reach out to our team of optimization experts at speedboostr.com/contact if you'd like help with anything. Best of luck!

Developer at SpeedBoostr (Shopify optimization and dev agency).
Try out our Shopify Analyzer (free performance analysis tool).
Check out Order Automator (app that auto tags + fulfills orders, and more automation)
More Apps: Theme Scientist (A/B testing tool), Tip Jar (add a tip button to your store), File Optimizer (optimize CSS, JS, Liquid)

AiTrillion
Shopify Partner
4167 244 733

Hello @Worags

These are some points that will help you to keep your store’s speed optimized:-

• Optimize all the images
  • Eliminate using multiple apps
  • Use a fast and reliable hosting
  • Use a Content delivery network (CDN)
  • “Minify” your code
  • Reduce redirects and broken links

If you need help with speed optimization, I would be happy to help. Feel free to email at shubhangi@aitrillion.com.

Looking forward to your reply.

Thanks

Sachin D | Shopify Growth Expert @ AiTrillion

- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
- Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
- 10+ Years of eCommerce experience.
- 1400+ Stores Designed on Shopify.
- All in One Marketing App on Shopify AiTrillion Marketing Automation
- 13+ Shopify Apps launched on app store.

eStoreSpeed
Explorer
43 6 12

Hi Worags,

Google page speed insights (PSI) is useful to give ideas on what to work on to improve your speed but I wouldn't pay so much attention to your speed score on , most Shopify stores score low on this tool e.g. https://www.allbirds.com or https://www.kyliecosmetics.com/ because e-commerce stores are more feature heavy than most sites on the web.

Ideally you want to see how fast the website loads for users who visit YOUR site. This depends on numerous factors such as the users geographic location, device, browser, internet connection etc. You can find this information using google analytics, and then mimic this user visiting your page using https://www.webpagetest.org/ (or hire someone to this for you). This will give a far more accurate assessment for your site speed than PSI.

Speed boostr has some good articles on PSI scores with Shopify stores https://speedboostr.com/case-study-does-raising-psi-score-improve-page-speed/.

Hope this helps,

eStoreSpeedOptimization

Subscribe to Shopify speed improvement newsletter (we never spam)
- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
- Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution

Not applicable

Hi @Worags 

Aibek is here from Speedimize.io agency.

No matter how they say not to pay attention to PSI, it is still worth improving the PSI metrics. Shopify has long implemented Lighthouse and plus Google major update is coming soon https://www.semrush.com/blog/core-web-vitals-study. Now it makes sense to spend more time on PSI and Core Web Vitals (CWV).

Because, first of all, a high rating guarantees that your site is optimized and loads faster than the competitors. Secondly, a high rating will have a positive effect on SEO, the priority will always be to optimized sites. Third, you will be sure that your site is equally convenient to use for the entire mobile segment. Since, according to statistics, they surf most often on mobile devices. Therefore, we focus on improving the PSI score and look at things realistically.

We fully agree that you can not chase the PSI estimates. But this does not mean that you need to completely forget about the assessment. It is necessary and necessary to improve the assessment. In your case, the rating is 30, and if you optimize your store, it is quite realistic to increase the rating to 50+. And focus on CWV during optimization. Improving metrics ensures that your store is more comfortable for your visitors. And user comfort should always be a priority.

And don't expect your score to be 90+after optimization. This is unrealistic, and if somebody managed to raise it to this level, it is really suspicious.