I noticed a few threads where people reported the same issue, and I thought it'd be a good idea to make a thread to explain issue.
So basically, the issue is that people have been getting their site optmized, their score is 90ish on PageSpeed Insights(PSI), they're happy.
However, now they see that their PSI score on shopify is noticable worse then on PageSpeed Insights, what gives?! now they are upset, probably at Shopify for not working correctly as usual!
The reason, in most cases is becuase instead of optmizing how content loads, and helping store owners remove content from their site to speed up a site, the people who optmized the sites like this used a hack to not load any content when PageSpeed Insights loads the page.
The script checks what type of user is loading the page, if the user looks like PageSpeed Insights, then they load a blank page basically, if the user is a real user, they load a normal page.
How do I confirm if my site is using the hack?
Go the your site
Open the element inspect with ctrl + shift + c or cmd + shift + c if your on a mac.
Click inside the element inspector, then press crtl + f or cmd + f
Type in document.open() into the search input
If you see a block of code that looks like this:
Then your site is using the hack to hide content for PSI.
Shopify must of recently changed some settings of how their Speed score works, so the hack doesn't hide the page content for Shopify, that's why the scores are diferent.
Is this hack good or bad for SEO?
I don't know. Technically, this hack improves your pagespeed insight score, however, your not really changing your user expierence, so it won't do anything to improve your bounce rate, its also likley that Google gets wise to these sort of hacks and starts punishing sites for using them, SEO wise.
i am also scammed on fiver
File a complaint with fiverr then, if they refused a refund and you used a credit do a chargeback.
Shopify speed is a myth created simple to generate more money by the platform with apps and "experts".
Simply run your store on https://gtmetrix.com/ and forget the Shopify BS speed report.
Don't spam everywhere that everyone do the fake speed optimization. My question is why don't you teach people how to optimize the speed of the website and why don't you do this if you are expert to achieve 90+ score on Google Pagespeed Insights? It is not possible to achieve the highest score on Google Pagespeed Insights without using scripts on the big apps and Shopify partners already know about that. Please note that clients always want to see the highest possible results on Google Pagespeed Insights. We can only achieve maximum 60 score on Mobile and 80 score on Desktop with real speed optimization but clients forced us for the 90+ score( Green score on Google Pagespeed Insights) so we use the scripts on the remaining Shopify apps to trick the bot. We don't want to do that but the clients forced us to do this. If we don't achieve the highest results they will asked for the refund. This is the only solution to achieve the highest results without removing the apps and reducing the quality of the images. If anyone has the better suggestions please let me know. Thank You.
I don't think using the hack is inherently wrong.
My personal approach is to educate the client as to the complexities of pagespeed opimization and what is a realistic score, and if the client isn't willing to accept a realistic outcome, then I don't take that client on or I part ways with them.
Using this sort of hack is wrong when a developer doesn't tell the client they are using a trick like cloaking, and what that implies as far as actual user expierence vs PSI score. I think if the client is aware of what's going on, then there's no issue, but as you can see when this topic is discussed, many clients are not told anything about the approach used and feel cheated.
Thank you for clarifying that. I personally feel that intentionally using bots is a very wrong step. But sometimes to save our profile and to satisfy our client we have to take this step. We don't have any choice left when the clients forced us to achieve maximum results on Google Pagespeed Insights. We told our clients several times that this is the maximum speed we can achieve but they compare the results of other stores and it leaves us speechless. My final conclusion is that 70% is the real speed optimization and the remaining 30% is what the client wants to see on Google Pagespeed Insights.