Shopify Speed is Low (24), but PageSpeed Insights is high (+90) How can there be such a difference?

lyndsayR
Excursionist
14 0 3

Hi all!

I hope there is someone out there that can help us with explaining the difference of the calculated speed by Shopify and PageSpeed Insights (the metric Shopify used)

We've had a developer remove unused Javascript and CSS, and got an uplift from 27 to 29, we slipped back again to 24. The developer says that we should not look at the scores that Shopify gives us, but rather the Google scores, is that true?

I've enclosed different print screens to demonstrate the difference, but the summary in short:

1. Shopify assign our shop speed at 24 (which is slower than similar shops) We've been 27, speed up to 29, but now dropped again. See print screens.

2. The Page Speeds metrics for our 3 subpages are (Homepage; Desktop: 99 Mobile: 92  | Shop; Desktop: 99 Mobile: 92 | About Us; Desktop: 99 Mobile: 92) Note; Shop page & About us pages are not calculated by Shopify (see missing available data in the overview) 

3. Shop URL www.conscious.cleaning 

Thanks in a million!

Replies 3 (3)

oreoorbitz
Shopify Partner
242 29 129

You're using the Cloaking method to hide your page content for PageSpeed Insights, see this thread:

https://community.shopify.com/c/site-speed/shopify-score-does-not-match-pagespeed-insight-score-see-...

Whether this is good or bad for SEO, I don't really know, it won't help actaul user expierence though, so if you care about that and the effect of loading performance on your bounce rate, you should optmize beyond just using a Cloak to increase your pagespeed score.

I'd reccomend you have your developer make the css non render blocking and generate critical css, and change your slider from flickity js to glide js

Available for freelance. I specialize in speed improvement and theme development.
https://www.upwork.com/fl/orionholmes

You can also contact me directly if you prefer.

oscprofessional
Shopify Partner
15830 2369 3072

Hello@lyndsayR ,

Yes , Low mobile page speed may kill your traffic and affect your conversion.

In order to Improve website speed we need to work on the following points:
- Remove unnecessary code on a high priority basis.
- Compressed images or Defer offscreen images.
- Reduce JavaScript execution time
- Minimize long main-thread work
- Beware of excessive liquid loops
- Decrease thumbnail image size
- Weigh the benefits of installing another app

- Avoid an excessive DOM size
- Avoid Large Layouts Shift
- Serve static assets with an efficient cache policy

By fixing these issues, your website speed score can definitely improve. For more details please check and select the plan you wish to select -
https://www.oscprofessionals.com/shopify-performance-optimization/

If anything is missed out or unclear then don't hesitate to ask
Thank You!
Get pass your Store Core Web Vital Free Speed Optimization Audit, Chat on WhatsApp | Skype : oscprofessionals-87 | Email: pallavi@oscprofessionals.com | Custom Pricing Wholesale App : Free | Hire us | Guaranteed Site Speed Optimization | Website Free Audit | Shopify Theme Customization | Build Shopify Private App | Shopify SEO | Digital Marketing

PrinceVezt
Tourist
7 0 0

Hi LyndsayR,

We're having the same problem.
How did you solve this one?

Thanks!