What’s wrong with my page speed and how to fix it.

Stefan90s
Tourist
12 1 6

Initially first version of my Venture theme had 44% speed for mobile and now after I resized all the pictures from 600kb to 100-120kb now it’s 29%. How is that even possible?  What am I doing wrong? How do I improve this?

url: larkopets.com

Replies 2 (2)

JohnCodes
Shopify Partner
134 10 74

Hi @Stefan90s 

I visited your site and it looks like it's performing quite well with pretty fast load times.

I ran your homepage through our free analysis tool, the Shopify Analyzer, and it looks like you could improve a few more things. You still have a few oversized images, which I think are related to your slideshow. You also have some additional images that could be lazy loaded as well as some hidden images that can be eliminated. You can check out your report here: https://analyze.speedboostr.com/result/fxhyzjrwvz.

If you'd like to handle this in-house, we have a great optimization guide: How to Optimize a Shopify Site: Complete Guide to Faster Load Speed.

I'm not sure which analysis tool you're referring to when mentioning your 44% speed dropping to 29%, but we have some additional articles on Google Page Speed Insights and Shopify's Speed Tool that talk about everything that goes into their scores + some common misconceptions surrounding them.

The Truth About Google PageSpeed Insights for Shopify 

Shopify Speed Tool Analysis + How to Make Your Site Faster 

If you'd like any help with your optimizations, please feel free to reach out to our team at speedboostr.com/contact.

Developer at SpeedBoostr (Shopify optimization and dev agency).
Try out our Shopify Analyzer (free performance analysis tool).
Check out Order Automator (app that auto tags + fulfills orders, and more automation)
More Apps: Theme Scientist (A/B testing tool), Tip Jar (add a tip button to your store), File Optimizer (optimize CSS, JS, Liquid)
Stefan90s
Tourist
12 1 6

Hi John,

Thank you for your reply. Sorry for not providing more info. What I was aiming to say is that I used PageSpeed Insight and the critical level of speed is only for mobile version. Desktop version is at 89%, but mobile one is 29% and it used to be 44 or 43. As majority of my website traffic is on mobile it's extremely important for me to increase it asap. I'll take dive in in those links you provided.

Is there a plugin that could help with this?