why some visitors says our web is slow, but it shows good speed whenever we test it ourselves

kevinpj95
Tourist
5 0 1

we have been receiving many complaints about how our shopify website cannot be open or it is very slow, the problem is that whenever we test it ourselves the speed is normal and we try to use network speed test to measure the respond time which resulted in good score.  then when we try to dig deeper there is an odd findings indicating that our local ISP (indihome) is not fully responding to shopify, have anyone shared similar experience or have any solution for this? it has been a burden for us for a few months.

Replies 11 (11)

Donsurd
Excursionist
31 1 5

Friend can I check the store?

JoesIdeas
Shopify Expert
2195 201 588

@kevinpj95 I would do this:

1) Share the url so others can test, maybe someone can find a reason

2) Any time a user complains, get their details: location, web browser, device, connection speed (using speedtest.net for example)

3) Analyze the data from the complaints to find a commonality, then work towards a solution. If it's regional, then at the least you can contact Shopify to see if there's a problem in that region or a way to solve it. If it's an issue on certain browsers, it's possible a code update can solve this (not all browsers read code and render the same, so sometimes a code inefficiency can cause problems in 1 browser).

• Creator of Order Automator (automate tagging, fulfillment, Amazon, notifications + more)
• Shopify developer for 10+ years, store owner for 7 years
• I also make guides like Shopify Automation Tips and How to Deal with Fraud / Chargebacks
kevinpj95
Tourist
5 0 1

https://ocistok.com/

this is my stores that is affected, please any insight on this problem is very appreciated

nuova-idea
Explorer
46 0 20

Hi ALL,

first of all Shopify stopped to use Lighthouse to calculate the speed score, this is why the sudden drop of speed score in Shopify in comparison with Lighthouse or Xmetric.

Now the why: some developers do ZERO work on performing your store, they only add a hacking code that detect speed checkers. When it detect speed checkers, it serve an empty page, with no content. That's why your Lighthouse or Xmetric speed score it is so high. Now that Shopify stop linking its speed report with such speed checkers, the scam it become clear to all.

The code contain such lines document.write / document.open and are inserted in the theme.liquid (use ctrl+g to locate them). If you find such lines, you been scammed. 

I suggest everyone who got this scam to reply to my post here and add the name or data of the developer to help others to do not fall in the same scam.

My scammer was hired on Fiverr: 

nuovaidea_0-1630640867397.jpeg

 It is taking 2 weeks of work and lot of money to fix this issue. Cause it also damage how the store works. 

Please everyone, spread the voice as much as possible because Shopify still did not made any official statement on this, and many store owners have no idea at all about this.

Let's make sure those scammers get banned and get no more money from store owners.

mraedi
Visitor
2 0 1

Hi. Is it in Indonesia right? Same thing happened here. Dunno what happened on Indihome server. It blocks Shopify and others CMS lookalike. This is a problem to the audiences when you pull the traffic to your website in digital marketing. You personally can test it by using VPN, let say set it up on US Location, try it again. It is so fast in load time after using it. Even the Google Test Speed, Shopify in my experiences, shows can get around 1 and up to 3 seconds in load time. It is so good. But the problem audiences out there might not using VPN for their browsing habits. If I am not wrong, this happens around after May or June this year. And as you now that Indihome is quite large in customer based, even we hate about the service (If you know what I mean) 😄

nuova-idea
Explorer
46 0 20

Shopify speed is a myth created simple to generate more money by the platform with apps and "experts".

Simply run your store on https://gtmetrix.com/ and forget the Shopify BS speed report.

JoesIdeas
Shopify Expert
2195 201 588

@nuova-idea the Shopify speed score is basically just importing Google PageSpeed Insights scores, a general analysis tool similar to GTmetrix.

Any general tool (GTmetrix, Google PSI / Shopify speed score) is dangerous because it will have you chasing unrealistic scores, for example people may think a score of 30/100 is bad because in school that's a bad score, but if you're running a successful ecommerce store with engaging functionality, a 30 score may be perfect for your store.

We optimize a lot of Shopify sites to make them faster, and find that 20 - 35 is a good range to aim for with tools like Shopify speed score / Google PSI, but really depends on what apps you're using. You may have a fully optimized, 7+ figure business that scores a 10, and that's ok. Those tools are guides, and do not equal to actual load speed, they're algorithmic site crawlers that give recommendations.

Our recommended approach to optimization:

1) Optimize what's possible with themes and images (Shopify Analyzer is a free tool my team built for the community to analyze and see how to fix optimization issues, specifically for Shopify sites). GTmetrics can be useful as well, but there are some extra irrelevant warnings that can cloud judgement for Shopify sites with 3rd party apps.

2) With standard optimizations complete, next step is to remove old app code (if an app installed theme code, then got deleted, that code remains unless someone removed it)

3) Do additional optimization tactics that analysis tools won't pick up (Preloading, conditionally loading apps only where they're needed, defer load apps, defer load youtube videos).

Those 3 steps will take care of 80% - 90% of feasible optimizations you can do on a templated Shopify site with 3rd party apps.

• Creator of Order Automator (automate tagging, fulfillment, Amazon, notifications + more)
• I also make guides like Shopify Automation Tips and How to Deal with Fraud / Chargebacks
nuova-idea
Explorer
46 0 20

Maybe you did not read or understood or do not want to understand...

Shopify speed is a BIG scam to charge extra money form people. And NO, Shopify speed does not use anymore Lighthouse since months.

Do no try to sell "your speed optimization" to this post. You all scammers!

JoesIdeas
Shopify Expert
2195 201 588

@nuova-idea I'm not trying to sell anything, our Shopify Analyzer tool is free + has links to free guides to optimize your store the right way (by using standard optimization procedures like image optimization, removing old code, minifying files, etc). We also share a complete free guide to optimize Shopify stores: https://speedboostr.com/shopify-optimization.

Thousands of people use our free resources every month, it's not necessary to hire if you have the spare time and enjoy doing optimization.

I commented because I like to help the community, and it looks like you are spreading misinformation so as someone with experience in this area I came here to help educate you.

You are correct that there are some scammers out there that will simply do hacks to increase PSI score / Shopify speed score. I agree these do not help and should be avoided. Look to hire people that have published case studies and use data backed solutions. What helps are actual optimizations that lower page weight + improve load speed + lower the number of server requests (the things I mentioned in my last post). You can use webpagetest.org to measure your results before / after optimizing to see the difference.

I wasn't aware that Shopify isn't using PSI / Lighthouse, because they say they ARE using it as of today. I logged into a store today and they are still using Lighthouse:

Screen Shot 2021-11-01 at 2.35.16 PM.jpg

If I'm wrong about that, please share a credible link or data showing Shopify doesn't use lighthouse any more so the community can be informed. Rather than going into attack mode, try helping people, I think you'll find that the anger you're holding will go away and you'll be in a more positive mind state. When you have a positive mindset, you will be more successful in life and business.

It's ok to have an opinion, and it's ok to be frustrated, but spreading negative energy is not good for the community. If you have data backed conclusions share those here so we can all learn together.

nuova-idea
Explorer
46 0 20

Hi, 

I've done my part when Shopify managers contacted me telling me that they discontinued Lighthouse cause they realized many users got scammed by "Shopify Experts" and "Shopify Apps". Reason why they discontinued such metrics was related to the malicious code used to speed-up scores while hiding the website content and serving just a blank page.

Since Shopify can not admit openly that their "SPEED REPORT" is basically a money making machine with zero realistic importance, they try to keep this undercover. The community it is filled with this discontinued update, just search for them.

Last but not least, Shopify owners should run the speed test on https://gtmetrix.com/ and give zero importance to the Shopify speed test which its, AGAIN, an unprofessional tool to make extra income form basic Shopify users.

Anyone who still supporting the importance and value of the Shopify speed test, is participating in the scam and making false statements.

The only true was and is one:

-website speed count

-Shopify speed does not count

End of story from my side. Goodbye

ECS_NW
Tourist
10 0 2

I agree that the speed report is something of a sore subject. Best way to test this. Load a new store and look at the score. Pretty sure it should be 100 right? no app, no third-party code, and no products yet.