Been working on this for awhile - a portfolio site w/ integrated Shopify: twilightscapes.com

Twilightscapes
Tourist
7 1 1

This is my own portfolio template that I've created. It's a headless version of Gatsby that is hosted for free on Netlify. It uses the Shopify API to import everything so the entire site costs a total of $9 to Shopify, that's it. In fact, I've built it such a way that I can share the account between multiple sites using private apps for each, pretty cool, eh?

Anyways, I've worked hard to come up with something a bit different. I've also worked really hard to make it as fast, see friendly and accessible as possible. Right now, I am getting all 100s on Lighthouse on Desktop and pretty close(upper 90s) on mobile. Google seems to really love the site architecture.

The site is also an installable PWA (progressive web app) which means it can be installed on your device without an App Store, directly in the browser itself.

I am using the PWA feature to promote Shopify discount promo codes for those who install it. Basically, if you install it, on the checkout page, a 30% off promo code appears only to those who have the app installed.

I have plans to do more with the app side of things in marketing and promotion down the road.

Anyways, I'd love any feed back ya got. Please kick the tires and let me know if you have any troubles.

Thanks for looking!

- Todd

https://twilightscapes.com

https://urbanfetish.com

Replies 5 (5)
Twilightscapes
Tourist
7 1 1
CartTurbo
Pathfinder
89 4 25

I'm showing your getting a 53 in mobile with 1.3 seconds on your first paint and 3.6 on the second paint.

And I'm showing a 64 on Desktop with 0.6 on first paint and 1.4 on the largest. 

Google recommends under a second on the first content on mobile on under 2 seconds on full paint for mobile. 

Your close but missed the mark by milliseconds.

First site I've ever been on where the images were optimized perfectly.

If you fix the errors and tighten up the code you could easily be under what Google requires.

Twilightscapes
Tourist
7 1 1

Ha, figures that you would check it right when I was redesigning the layout (again..) 8-)

I had some issues with it, but it should be back up to 100s for everything. They still seem to be dinging me on performance, but the page paints and load times should all be well under Googles preferred times. On desktop, I'm seeing pagespeeds at .5 sec. 

Not bad for a photographer/portfolio site with lots of heavy full-sized imagery. LOL

Anyways, thanks a lot for checking it out and for your time. I appreciate it! 

CartTurbo
Pathfinder
89 4 25
CartTurbo
Pathfinder
89 4 25

I like the new design, it looks a lot better than the first time I saw it.

And your loading a lot of images however the top image is being resized and isn't optimized for the space any longer.