Cart Abandonment Unusually High

joeyv1
2 0 0

My Shopify store sells pond equipment, which is generally high ticket. I get anywhere between 2 and 5 add to carts per day. However I bet of those add to carts my conversion rate is under 10%. In other words, more than 90% of people add an item to their cart and don’t follow through with a purchase.

I already have automated emails and pop ups for anyone that enters their email or is about to exit the screen. I have organized my product pages very scrupulously to make them clear, detailed and concise with trust badges, product reviews when I have them and all of the typical conversion factors that people recommend in these forums.

My website is www.ProtoPond.com. The majority of what I sell/advertise is pond fountains and aerators. If someone would be kind enough to look around on my site and give some feedback, I would greatly appreciate it.

Replies 5 (5)
EcomGeeks
Shopify Partner
1070 143 333

Hey @joeyv1,

Sorry to hear you are experiencing high abandon cart rates. I've taken a look through your store, hopefully my feedback will provide some insight as to what is going on.

protopond-01.png

HOMEPAGE BANNER
I'd recommend adding in a homepage banner. That main banner area is prime real estate for selling.  One of the keys of selling is getting inside your customers head, what problem do they have that you can solve? Or what is it that they desire that you provide? Use words or phrases that they do to show that you understand their needs. We recommend using this type of text in your banner. For the format, we recommend having a professional photo of your products, a title introducing your brand or product, a line of text underneath that expands on your title and a call to action button such as "Shop Now". WhiteHatJr is a great example of a banner that converts:

white-hat-jr.png

LOGO
Your logo is one of those things that holds a lot of weight in how professional or unprofessional your store looks. I would highly recommend having a professional logo done up for your store, it’s a worthy investment. This is a service we offer so if you are interested, you can click here for more information.

If a custom logo is out of budget, here is a free option:

Once your logo is finished, you can match the fonts and colors in your store to your logo. This is going to level up your store even more and make you look very professional.

THEME
I’d recommend a theme change. I know it’s no small task, however, the visitor's first impression establishes whether they feel your store is trustworthy or not. I would highly recommend Debutify, you can download it for free or upgrade to one of their paid plans in order to gain access to their add-ons. They have 53 add-ons that will definitely save you money on monthly app costs. Some of my favourites are collection filters, custom currencies, delivery time and trust badges. We did a review on the theme in this video if you want to take a look:

PS: If you decide to give Debutify a try, here is our affiliate link: https://debutify.sjv.io/c/2837919/972143/12660

Using our affiliate link helps support us at no extra cost to you by telling Debutify we sent you. 

Installments
Because of the price of your products, you might consider adding AfterPay as a payment option. This may help your customers proceed with their purchase.

SEO
One very important piece of selling is getting the right kind of traffic to your store, your target audience (high traffic is not a good thing if it is the wrong kind of traffic). Good SEO will help you  reach your intended audience organically. By default, Shopify will pull your product titles and descriptions and use that as your SEO (that is what is happening in your case). You don't want to leave your SEO to default, you want to make sure you include the same words that a person trying to find your product would search in Google. We created a video walking you through how to do your SEO that you can watch here: 

SHIPPING
You need to add in an estimated shipping time at checkout. For some people, shipping time can be a deal breaker so they won’t proceed with their purchase without that information. 

SOCIAL MEDIA
I noticed you don’t have any social media links listed. Having an active social media presence adds trust to your brand. If there’s nothing about your brand online, it’s a red flag to your visitors. Potential customers are going to research before purchasing and one of the first places they are going to check is social media. Highly recommend getting on social media and adding those links to your Shopify store.

MARKETING
For you, I’d recommend creating videos to market your products. You can do short 30 second to 1 minute videos for TikTok, IG Reels, Facebook. You can also do longer videos and post them on YouTube or Facebook. As for the platforms, right now I personally suggest TikTok & YouTube. You are going to grow way faster on TikTok right now than you could on IG Reels or Facebook.
It has the potential to be a double fold success for you because not only can you earn on the platforms themselves (ie. with YouTube you can get AdSense, add affiliate links and do brand deals) but also you are driving traffic to your store and selling there as well. A good example of this in action is the Detail Geek. He has a service based vehicle detailing business and creates YouTube videos of himself detailing vehicles. He will mention products he is using and drive traffic to his online store AND he also earns AdSense money by allowing YouTube to place ads in his videos.
This is also an inspiring example (he's a plumber):

I think this could be great for you, hope you give it a go!

I will leave it at that for now but if you would like to talk to us 1-1, we offer sessions where we take a look at your store, identify the greatest issues holding you back, then provide solutions and advice. If you would like to book a session, you can do so here: https://calendly.com/ecomgeeks/1-1-session

We hope our response was helpful, if it was, let us know by giving us a thumbs up and/or marking it as a solution!

Best of luck!

Join our new Facebook Group for Shopify Dropshippers! Winning products, dropshipping advice & more!

Website | Email | YouTube | TikTok | Facebook

MS-WEB-DESIGNER
Shopify Partner
3012 181 488

Dear @joeyv1 

Hope following suggestions will help you

• Do remarketing ads for cart abandonment traffic
  • Use Voila Shopify app adds a highly efficient cart feature proven to reduce cart abandonment and boost sales. (Show multiple Discount coupon code on cart page )
  • Improve store speed for mobile

prospeed.png

• Product page layout needs to improve

• Add cart drawer
  • Cart page layout needs to improve

cartpageexample.png

• There is no terms and conditions checkbox at checkout. We suggest you install a Free app from shopify app store which provides 'I agree to the Terms and Conditions' before checkout .As it makes it easy for the customer to read your terms and policies.

Click Here to Hire Shopify Store Customization Experts
Boost Conversions & Average Order Value with this
Best App for Sticky Add To Cart
CartTurbo
Pathfinder
89 4 25

POP-UPS

You should never use entry pop-ups.

They do more damage to user experience than just about anything other than load times.

When someone enters your site, they enter with a goal and an idea and you break their train of thought and take them out of that zone with your pop-up.

You’re putting up a barrier between your visitors and the information they’re seeking.

And exit pop-ups destroy brand credibility, it's a lot like spamming … it works but in the long run it’ll destroy your reputation.

They make you seem needy and insecure.

Ethan Zuckerman, the creator of the pop-ups apologized for creating one of the most hated tools online.

It makes for a bad user experience. And it's a bad marketing practice.

The fact that pop-up blockers are built into browsers prove this.

After market ad-blockers confirm it.

Get rid of the pop-ups and force yourself to build a stronger, healthier content strategy.

Hero Images

At the top of the page you need a hero image.

This is a full-width image that runs across the top of your page and doesn't use any whitespace.

It occupies the best real estate.

And it Demands Attention!

Images communicate 60,000 times faster than text.

And when you have .05 milliseconds to make a first impression ... you don't really have any ?

What you're looking for is an image-focused design.

Bold graphics that immediately engages the user and draws them in.

A hero image is the #1 best tool for communicating a message.

It's an introduction, elevator pitch, it immediately tells the visitor what your purpose is.

What you're wanting is an image that shows not just how a product looks but how it works.

An image that has an emotional impact, inspires, and reinforces the call to action, that is written on top of it.

The best way to sell a product is to let the product sell itself.

Emotion Overrides Logic!

Make sure the call to action has contrast in its colors, to make it jump out of the design and stand out the most on the page.

Show real people the same age as your target market and have them looking in the direction of the call to action.

Design different images for different devices to help with website load times.

WEBSITE SPEED

Looking at what major corporations are saying ...

Google discovered that 53% of mobile users abandon sites that take 3 seconds to load.

Google also limits the number of crawlers if your site is slower than two seconds.

Amazon showed they would lose $1.6 BILLION a year for every one second slow down.

Walmart said when they improved page load time by one second conversions increased by 2%.

AutoAnything said they saw a 12-13% increase in sales after cutting page load time in half.

All it takes is milliseconds to snap someone out of the zone.

Google said your site needs to have the first content paint in under a second and be fully loaded in under 2 seconds.

Your website takes 3.7 seconds for the first bite and 12. for the largest.

Speed outsell everything.

You can have a car pick you up in five minutes.

A pizza delivered in 20 ...

Groceries in 60 ...

Answers to any question in 0.3 seconds because at 0.5 Google saw a 20% drop in traffic.

Friction is anything you put between someone and the completion of a task. It can be anything from waiting for a website to load, to a pop-up, or even having to click to find a product.

Friction equals time and time equals money.

So you are in the business of removing friction, which means making things as fast and easy as possible which in turn saves you time and money.

And remove all links to social media platforms.

1.) They bleed pagerank and hurt your Google’s rankings.

2.) They can get you fined.

3.) And they send your traffic to a site you don’t control.

You want to get traffic from the social media sites and not send traffic to the social media sites.

And tests by major corporations have shown that they actually hurt more than they help with regards to likes and shares …the only reason for having them.

Your goal should be to get someone on the site and convert them into a customer and not to increase likes and shares.

Likes and shares on social media sites should come from the people that are currently on the social media sites and not from people on your site that are ready to make a purchase.

And your website should be designed in such a way that it's able to generate traffic without you having to do a thing...and one way this happens is by optimizing your images.

Take all your images, resize them and optimize them for the search engines.

Resize all of them to their correct size and optimize them for speed. Done correctly it’ll pay for itself because images are normally easy to rank, because nobody has the time to optimize them correctly.

And the way you do this is by making a list of keywords that get good traffic and show buyer intent for your product.

You name the name of the folder you're putting your images in the name of your main keyword.

And you name the images the name of the keyword that best describes the image.

You add alt text targeting the keyword you used in the image name. Good descriptive alt text with the keyword you want to rank for included in the text. Keep in mind that this is the text that shows when the image is loading and when a screen reader describes the image.

This will improve web load times and intern improve Google rankings.

And then optimize your descriptions with a call to action and use the 325 character limit because the idea is to rank the images, get free traffic, and have the site pay for itself.

RishAtMason
Shopify Partner
32 4 9

Hello @joeyv1 🙂

This is really interesting. My first thoughts are to approach this as a shopper—why would I go to a site, add things to my cart, and then leave. Specifically when the products I'm looking at are possibly for renovating my home or building out a new property (these are just a couple use cases, please correct me with better ones!). And my thoughts are—people are looking for "quotes" or designers are trying to build out their quotes, so they do every step but check out. (If I have an incorrect understanding here, please correct me?)

In the scenario above, it makes sense that with your high ticket product, you also have a high cart abandon rate.

So, my question back to you is, how have you defined your target audience/customer profiles? Also, have you looked at heat maps—and (based on how thorough you are...) what are your insights from the customers' behavior on your store?

In terms of feedback, the only thing I feel comfortable saying at this point is—move your "Customers Also Bought" section below the product description. Though I doubt that is going to change your current problem, because if I had an issue with the product description, I probably wouldn't add the product to my cart at all.

I hope this helps? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Building communities @ ModeMagic and Mason!

- Was my response helpful? Click Like to let me know.
- Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution.
asterly
Shopify Partner
35 1 7

Honestly I think that isn't too bad. Of course you should always aim to decrease cart abandonment, but especially with higher ticket items, the average abandoned cart rate is about 80%. I would make sure you have abandoned cart email and SMS flows set up. Once they're up and running, they require little to no work, they're really cheap and have a great ROI. My abandoned cart emails have a 14% conversion rate, which makes a pretty big dent in the total abandoned carts. I've been using Klaviyo and SMSBump with no issues.

Good luck!

If you have any questions or want more detailed feedback, you can email me anytime at lily@asterly.io

I run a small web service and consulting company. Our first consult and evaluation is always free with no strings attached.