Eager to get my store off the ground!

FirstDueTed
Tourist
11 0 2

I am brand new to Shopify and e-commerce. I have launched my very first store, but it is getting VERY little traffic (less than 20 visits/day, on average). I have posted here before to get feedback on my store, and I have been told that it is set up well, looks good, etc. Everything works as it should. I have done market research on the niche. I have tried using Facebook (paid ads and organic posts) and Google ads, but neither has generated much traffic. Without the traffic, I am clearly not getting any sales. Without sales, I am not generating revenue to spend more on ads. I am SO excited about my store, but I just can't seem to figure out the secret(s) to get it off the ground. I suspect that I am going to be told that I just have to be patient, and that it takes time. However, if there is something that I am missing, or something that I could/should be doing, I am hoping that some of you can help me out. 

https://1stduedesigns.com/

Thanks in advance for any help or advice that you can give me.

0 Likes
Luna
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
192 22 32

Hi, @FirstDueTed

Luna here, from the Shopify team. Congratulations on getting your website created, it sounds like you are off to a great start. Now that you’ve completed the store set-up, you can focus on gaining traffic and making sales. I’m happy to provide some suggestions. 

As you mentioned, using paid advertising is a great way to drive traffic to your store. Another way to gain traffic is to optimize your content so that search engines recognize and suggest your products to related queries. You can learn more about this process in our help document on SEO overview. 

First, I suggest determining the keywords your customers will use to find your products. Once you do so, you can add those keywords to your content. You can use online tools to get keyword ideas and find out how often a given word is used in a search query. For example, check out Ubersuggest’s Free Keyword Tool.  It’s best to choose keywords that are specific to your products and business, but that appear often in searches. You can then add these keywords into your content (page titles, product descriptions, etc). 

Next, you can submit your sitemap to Google to help them find and index pages on your site. For instructions on how to do so, check out this help document on Finding and Submitting your Sitemap. We also have a blog post that has more suggestions for driving traffic to your storefront.  

As you begin to drive more traffic to your site, it is also important to consider your conversion rate optimization. At every step of your customers’ purchasing journeys, there are new opportunities for you to make their paths shorter, easier, and more enjoyable. Through experimentation and analysis, you can fine-tune your website to push people closer to making a purchase. Check out this awesome blog post on Improving CRO - definitely worth the read.

In the meantime, do you have a specific target audience for your products? I’d love to hear more about your business! 

Luna | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

FirstDueTed
Tourist
11 0 2

Hi Luna, and thanks for taking the time to reply to my post! I will definitely check out each of the links that you included. I have zero background or experience in e-commerce, or business for that matter (I have only worked in public safety/emergency services for the last 35 years). With that being said, SEO has been a tough one for me to wrap my head around, so I especially appreciate the links about SEO and keyword research. 

I hadn't thought about submitting my sitemap to Google. Even though I don't know much about it (yet), it completely makes sense to help rank higher in searches. I will absolutely be doing that very soon. 

As far the CRO tactics, I have read a lot about sales funnels (which I believe is related to your point about CRO), but again, I'm still trying to learn about it. I am sure that the link you included will be a valuable resource. 

As for my target audience, with my background, I have decided to create products specifically for firefighters. I have started a dropshipping business using a print-on-demand company. I create all of the designs, and each design is available on a range of products (t-shirts, hoodies, coffee mugs, iPhone cases, etc.). With over a million firefighters in the U.S. alone, and the sense of pride inherent in the Fire Service, I know there is a market for me. I just have to learn how to navigate the e-commerce landscape first. I am VERY excited about getting this off the ground, and I am determined to make it happen. Ultimately, I would like to scale it up to the point that I am able to create jobs, give to charities that are important to me, and even open physical locations eventually. But, I have to get these important first steps taken care of before I can accomplish any of those things. 

If you, or anyone else, might have any questions, I would love to hear them. In the meantime, if you know any firefighters, feel free to send them my way!

0 Likes

@FirstDueTed @You need to setup a complete sales funnel for your websi

+2348167044807
CutOutWiz
Navigator
362 28 138

Hello @FirstDueTed 

Hope you are well. For an owner with very little experience, you have done a pretty good job. I must say your aesthetic eye is very keen.

Here are some areas where you could consider working on

• It is a good idea to place a banner on the homepage that tells your customers exactly what they are looking for. You may add a separate banner for each of your product types

It is a good idea to have multiple slides on your banner (each should stay for around 5seconds) for each product type and have the CTA buttons for each slide redirect the customer to a different product page.

• Because this is an online store and people cannot touch and feel your products before buying them, they rely heavily on product images, which is why the images have to look top-notch.

The main problem most Shopify store owners have is that they upload raw images of their products. On the website, this makes the product color dull and unappealing.

Rule of thumb - never post unprocessed images on your website. In case you are looking to make your images sharp and professional, contact CutOutWiz for any image-related solutions.

Especially for this kind of product, it is a good idea to have multiple images of the product, from multiple angles, so that the customer can have a feel of what they are buying. If you are looking for an image processing company that will solve all your needs, you can check out CutOutWiz.

• People always don’t know everything about a product beforehand. When they see a product or show interest in a product, they want to know more about the different aspects and specifications of the product. If product descriptions fail to provide people with enough information about the product and fail to create an appeal for the product, the visitors won’t buy the product. So, provide elaborate and appealing product descriptions to every product to increase your sales.

• You should also add a Call-To-Action (CTA) or a Shop Now button to the banner, so that users can be redirected to the relevant product page, without much delay.

Hope this helps you. If you find it useful, leave a like to let me know! Happy Selling! Thank you and the Very Best of Luck to you! 

If you found this helpful, leave a Like to let me know.
If this answers your question, please rate this as an accepted solution :)

M, from the Business Development Team of
Cutoutwiz
0 Likes
Luna
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
192 22 32

Hi, @FirstDueTed

Thanks for getting back to me with that additional context. I'm so happy you've found the links useful. I absolutely love the concept of your business, and I can see how passionate you are. These are often factors that contribute to great success! 

I also wanted to quickly mention that we have a program called Shopify Compass. Our experts create content with invaluable lessons regarding ecommerce and Shopify's platform. It's completely free for our merchants and is a great way to continue learning. We even have a course on SEO training.  

I have no doubt that your business will take off. If you have any other questions along the way, of course, don't hesitate to reach out to us. 

All the best, 

Luna | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Tindy
2 0 1

Didn't like the store look and tshirt presentation

0 Likes
FirstDueTed
Tourist
11 0 2

@Hamidbowman Thank you for offering to help with my store. I am sure that you would be willing to offer your suggestions as a comment in this thread so that others may benefit from your advice as well. 

0 Likes
FirstDueTed
Tourist
11 0 2

@Tindy thank you for your very constructive and helpful input. I will take your suggestion and apply it to my store to improve it. 

0 Likes
AiTrillion
Shopify Partner
4017 241 733

Hello @FirstDueTed, I hope you are doing good! AiTrillion this side. We are happy to help more than 100k+ Shopify merchants and would love to provide a solution to your questions.

- I would recommend you to change the brand logo. The current one doesn't look good. 

- Add a review carousel on the homepage. It helps building trust with other visitors.

- Add a countdown timer to increase the curiosity among customers to make purchase.

- Add exit-intent popup. Track when someone is about to leave your website and show the visitor exit-intent popup with attractive offers and coupon code to complete the purchase.

- Entice customers with the help of loyalty program. Give them loyalty points on various activities like on sign up, leaving a review, on a purchase, allowing a push notifications. On points redemption you can give rewards like money off, percentage discount, free shipping.

Overall layout of your store looks great & professional! All you need to work on is the customer engagement part. I see your store lacks customer engagement because of what you might see the high bounce rate and low conversions. Add essential eCommerce tools to engage the customers coming to your store and convert them into paying customers.

To add the above marketing engagement tools there are many apps available in the Shopify app store. Instead of installing multiple apps, you can install the all-in-one Shopify app AiTrillion and get all the benefits of marketing features in a single app to drive conversions. 

P.S- Free plan available.

Sachin D | Shopify Growth Expert @ AiTrillion

- 10+ Years of eCommerce experience.
- 1400+ Stores Designed on Shopify.
- All in One Marketing App on Shopify AiTrillion Marketing Automation
- 13+ Shopify Apps launched on app store.