FROM CACHE - en_header

FEEDBACK ON MY SITE

robert34
3 0 0

Hello Friends:

I am seeking feedback on my Shopify shop.   It is located at www.ottawaphilatelics.com.  It has been up and running for over eight months now.  To date I have received minimal visits and an embarrassing number of sales.  I address a specialty market, namely stamp collectors.  I am current with market trends in my area and can assure you that my prices are very reasonable for the items offered.  In fact I have monitored sales on Stamp Auction sites and have witnessed the same items as mine selling for ten to twenty percent more.

Getting to the right audience is a part of the challenge.  I have given thought to utilizing Search Engine Submission software but have been informed that there is no need if you are hosted on Shopify.  I find this a bit strange to believe.  Personally I have not seen any reference to which search engines ones site is submitted to.

With reference to key word generators I have made use of enough to publish my own dictionary.  Whether I index an item extensively or virtually not at all seems to make little difference.  Additionally because of my specialized market there are only a limited number of words that can be used to index a stamp -country, date, condition, catalog number and such.

The problem remains that I must increase traffic dramatically.

I also experience an additional problem in that I can not receive emails directed to my gmail account.  None of the test emails (or others) that have been sent to my gmail account have ever been received.  I have had to set up an alternate email account.  I have communicated with Shopify support on several instances and despite their best efforts have not been able to provide a solution.

In summary I need drastically increased traffic and the consequent sales.

I thank you for whatever help and advice you may offer.

Replies 4 (4)
Bo
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1793 197 458

Hey there, @robert34 

Bo here from Shopify Support! 

Thank you for reaching out! Your products look really fantastic, I'm sure once you get the right targeted traffic to your store you will get sales, you will, however, need to actively market your store on Instagram and Facebook. Content marketing and updating your SEO and keywords are only going to do so much. You need to be running ads. I would highly recommend checking out our video on finding your target market and defining it here. This should help you better your targeted ads so that the customers you are getting to your store will be more likely to buy something. We also have this step-by-step guide to successfully run ads on Facebook. 

The design of your store is dated. It looks like a website that was possibly made in the 90s with the colors that are being used and the size of the buttons and the font. This would be offputting to potential customers. The background color being that light shade of grey gives off the impression that there is an overlay active on the store that needs to be clicked out of. I would recommend checking out these 10 Beautiful Ecommerce Website Color Schemes for a better understanding of how great sites can look. It looks like your theme is heavily customized, I would recommend going back to a basic version of the theme as our themes are optimized to look as good as possible and to be as accessible as they need to be. I would also recommend reading Customizing Your Shopify Theme: How to Use Images, Colors, and Fonts to better utilize your theme. 

The first thing that I looked at here was your product titles and descriptions. While your products are brilliantly curated but you could definitely work on the descriptions and the pictures. With online stores, there are no sales representatives and so the products literally need to speak for themselves. Instead of listing your products' specs in your current format, you should try writing descriptions that persuade the customer to buy the item. Why do they need this stamp? How will it make their life better? I recommend taking a look at Oberlo's guide on writing a product description that sells here. This will also help you improve your SEO which will bring more traffic to your store organically.  We have a guide on taking professional quality product photos here.

One small thing which isn't crucial but will make your site look that bit more professional is adding a favicon that matches your business logo. A favicon is an icon that appears on a tab in a browser, usually a logo. You can add a favicon to your site as per this guide.

When your product images are shown side by side on collection pages, they have different sizes. To make your images appear to be the same size, you need to use a consistent aspect ratio, or height-to-width ratio, for all the images that you add as your featured, or main, images. High-resolution photos look more polished and professional to your customers. For square product images, a size of 2048 x 2048 px usually looks best so you will need to resize your photos so that they are all this size or the same size to look more uniform in your store.

Product pages should all have reviews. Seeking out online reviews has become such a standard part of the buying process for people these days that every online retailer needs to be thinking about them. You can view our review apps here.

Each product should have multiple product images. As your store is online customers are missing out on the experience of seeing your product in the flesh. Have multiple images of your products from different angles, and in different settings to give your customers a better idea of what it looks like in person.

Having a social media presence is incredibly important in eCommerce. You can check out our guide on building your presence here. Social media is a key aspect of digital marketing, helping businesses reach millions of customers across the world. Last year in the UK alone, 89% of people accessed the internet every week; 77% of these used it to research goods/services before making a purchase, and 60% to access social media. It’s estimated that, worldwide, over 3 billion people use social media every day. This means, if you want to grow your business, you need to start taking advantage of using social media for your Shopify store. You can take a look at our guide on social media marketing here.

All the Best,

Bo 

Bo | Retired Staff Member

robert34
3 0 0
Thank you very much for your informative reply. It is very good to have a
tangible response.

I shall review the source material identified and then begin to make
changes.

One area which I am still in a quandary concerning is the utility of a
Search Engine Submission program. I have no knowledge of which (if any)
search engines that Shopify submits to.

Again. thank you for your support.
thechessempire
1 0 0

The design of your store is dated. It looks like a website that was possibly made in the 90s with the colors that are being used and the size of the buttons and the font. This would be offputting to potential customers. The background color being that light shade of grey gives off the impression that there is an overlay active on the store that needs to be clicked out of. 

Check out my site too: thechessempire

Bo
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1793 197 458

Great question. Shopify submits SEO information to all search engines, primarily Google. We have a great help guide on optimizing your store's SEO here. I also have a post on free ways to promote your store which can be done alongside your paid efforts here.  

All the Best,

Bo 

Bo | Retired Staff Member