Feedback on my store

Solved
JuanG
Tourist
8 0 2

Good afternoon, I need feedback relating to the dark color scheme I am using for my shopify store. I am using an all dark (black) theme, instead of the traditional white theme which most sites use. I personally like the look but I am concerned if this is why I have low conversion.

Note: I had site redesigned about 3 months ago, and I use to have the white theme before, conversions were a little better, but not much.

For all fellow e-commerce entrepreneurs and experts, please tell me what is your opinion on using this dark background. Do you like the look? Do you know if the traditional white theme is better for conversions than using a dark theme? Do you think using a black theme the way I am using it, hurts sales / conversions?  

Here is my site: https://rootedattire.com/

I really Appreciate any feedback given. Thank You!

EcomGeeks
Shopify Partner
1049 142 342

Hey @JuanG,

Since you asked about the dark theme of your store, I'll give you my thoughts on that first and then I'll touch on a few other things that I think could be contributing to your lack of conversions.

rooted-attire.png

DARK VS LIGHT THEME
I would say the main issues with having a dark background/theme are:

1. The contrast is hard on the eyes. If you have a bright white font against a black background, it's not as easy on the eyes.
2. It draws the eye a lot and takes away focus from your products. When adding color to your store I recommend adding it to things like buttons or notices, things that you want to draw attention to. When you start changing background colors and your body text color, it quickly becomes too much and starts taking away from where the focus should be - your products.
3. It tends to look unprofessional. In general, an as-is default theme tends to look better than when people start changing fonts, colors and etc. The best way to design your store is to use your logo as the anchor point and then make all design decisions based on what matches your logo.

Now, moving onto other issues that I think are costing you conversions.

HOMEPAGE BANNER
That main banner area is prime real estate for selling.  One of the keys of selling is getting inside your customers head, what problem do they have that you can solve? Or what is it that they desire that you provide? Use words or phrases that they do to show that you understand their needs. We recommend using this type of text in your banner. For the format, we recommend having a professional photo of your products, a title introducing your brand or product, a line of text underneath that expands on your title and a call to action button such as "Shop Now". Here is an example:

EcomGeeks_0-1625765135293.png

REVIEWS
I would highly recommend that you encourage your customers to leave a review on the products they purchase. Positive reviews are very valuable, they add a lot of trust to your store. We did a video showing a free review app you can use and how to set it up:

SOCIAL MEDIA
I noticed you don’t have any social media links listed (the Facebook link is broken). Having an active social media presence adds trust to your brand. If there’s nothing about your brand online, it’s a red flag to your visitors. Potential customers are going to research before purchasing and one of the first places they are going to check is social media. Highly recommend getting on social media and adding those links to your Shopify store.

SHIPPING
You need to add in an estimated shipping time at checkout. For some people, shipping time can be a deal breaker so they won’t proceed with their purchase without that information. 

SEO
One very important piece of selling is getting the right kind of traffic to your store, your target audience (high traffic is not a good thing if it is the wrong kind of traffic). Good SEO will help you  reach your intended audience organically. By default, Shopify will pull your product titles and descriptions and use that as your SEO (that is what is happening in your case). You don't want to leave your SEO to default, you want to make sure you include the same words that a person trying to find your product would search in Google. We created a video walking you through how to do your SEO that you can watch here: 

MARKETING
I’d recommend creating videos to market your products. You can do short 30 second to 1 minute videos for TikTok, IG Reels, Facebook. You can also do longer videos and post them on YouTube or Facebook. As for the platforms, right now I personally suggest TikTok & YouTube. You are going to grow way faster on TikTok right now than you could on IG Reels or Facebook.
It has the potential to be a double fold success for you because not only can you earn on the platforms themselves (ie. with YouTube you can get AdSense, add affiliate links and do brand deals) but also you are driving traffic to your store and selling there as well. A good example of this in action is the Detail Geek. He has a service based vehicle detailing business and creates YouTube videos of himself detailing vehicles. He will mention products he is using and drive traffic to his online store AND he also earns AdSense money by allowing YouTube to place ads in his videos.
I think this could be great for you, hope you give it a go!

PAID ADVERTISING
Here are a few tips to help you with your paid ads:

1. When working with influencers, don’t be blinded by numbers. A large following does not mean success. Be cautious of bringing in “general traffic”, you want an influencer that is in your niche.
  2. Remember that every social platform has a primary user demographic. You want to create profiles and run ads on whichever platform your target demographic spends the most time. Check Social Sprout for the 2021 Social Media Stats.
  3. Target your ads. Do not make your ranges to broad, know your target audience and dial in to reach exactly who you intend to reach. Remember, high traffic is not a good thing if it’s the wrong traffic.

I will leave it at that for now but if you would like to talk to us 1-1, we offer sessions where we take a look at your store, identify the greatest issues holding you back, then provide solutions and advice. If you would like to book a session, you can do so here: https://calendly.com/ecomgeeks/1-1-session

We hope our response was helpful, if it was, let us know by giving us a thumbs up and/or marking it as a solution!

Best of luck!

Join our new Facebook Group for Shopify Dropshippers! Winning products, dropshipping advice & more!

Website | Email | YouTube | TikTok | Facebook

0 Likes
LuckyDanny
Shopify Partner
310 61 188

This is an accepted solution.

Hey there, @JuanG!  

These are good questions, and you’ve come to the right place! Before we dive in, give yourself some credit here. You’ve put in some hard work, and it shows! 

My biggest concern with the dark/black theme is that it’s hard to see your products. 

Your products aren’t bright and vibrant, so when you see it on the black background, it’s easy to miss some of the finer details. 

Even your logo, with the gradient, isn’t as easy to read. 

The bigger issue here is that since you aren’t A/B testing, you don’t know what’s causing the lower conversions. It could be the darker theme or it could be something else.Since you’ve already seen fewer conversions, it sounds like it could be an issue. 

I recommend using two things:

1. Visitor behavior to evaluate what they experience on your site. This includes understanding their behavior with heatmaps (to see where they click/move/scroll) and session recordings (to watch what happened during a visit). This also includes engaging with visitors with chat and surveys.
  2. A/B test. You can’t avoid the A/B test. You need to be able to compare apples to apples, and you can’t without an A/B test. 

Going into specifics now…

• Run a poll. Ask your visitors, “What stopped you from checking out today?” to see what your visitors think. Their feedback could shed new light on what’s going on. 
  • Clean up your navigation. It needs to help someone read a product page. When someone lands on your website with no other context, they don’t know what you sell. Your main navigation doesn’t help give them any context. Something like Home | Shirts | Hats | Belts | Shop By Country | Contact Us would be helpful. Watch session recordings to see how people are moving around your store.  You don’t need your About Us. Use click heatmaps to see if people are clicking on LatinTRENDS. Since this isn’t tied to your brand, I would rethink using it. If it is tied to your brand, you need to make this link more obvious. 
  • Use one hero image. Rotating hero images can hurt your overall conversions. Limit it to one. Again, your click heatmap will be able to tell you which one has the most engagement.
  • Simplify your contact strategy. I would remove the side tab for Contact Us. For your Contact Us form on your contact page, remove the phone number field. Even though it’s optional, that is one field that traditionally has a high abandonment rate. 
  • Evaluate your homepage. Use a heatmap to see how far down the page people scroll and where they click. In my experience, “featured” collections mean nothing to visitors, and having products featured on the homepage doesn’t encourage clicks. That’s why the heatmaps come into play to show you what your visitors are really doing. 
  • Clean up your footer. You have the Refund Policy and Terms of Service on there twice. There’s also no shipping information. Add value to your newsletter. You need to work harder to get someone to sign up. They don’t know if they want to buy from you, so you’ll need to do more to get them interested in signing up. 
  • Comb through your policies. Link your email addresses. Also, make sure the format is easy to read. For your Refund Policy in particular, consider a new strategy. A 15-day refund/return policy may be a red flag for your visitors. Even if they never have to return an item, being limited like that may be impacting their decision to buy. Keep in mind that elsewhere on your site the Refund policy is listed as 14 days instead. 
  • Keep images consistent. I believe you’re using the same dimensions for all of your images but aren’t making sure the products are placed at the same location in an image. As a result, it stands out for the wrong reason.
    LuckyDanny_0-1627073947903.png

• Remove the collection images. They are blurry and unnecessary. 

A big issue I have is with your product page
To start with, don’t leave shipping cost estimates to the checkout. Promote that free shipping instead. I would also suggest adding flat rate shipping options so that people can understand what it will cost. That being said, considering you have no products over $30, having free shipping at $39 seems a little curious. Do more testing to see what resonates with your visitors. 

Now, I’m going to call you out there. I’m looking at two products, the Venezuelan silver coat of arms snapback cap and the Brazil snapback cap with silver coat of arms. Both have the same description with only the country name being changed.

You need to do better, and you know that. Create unique product descriptions for each product, ones that aren’t identical. Remove the dropshipping list of details. Again, it’s taking an easier way out here. Devote some time and energy to this. 

Lastly, where are your reviews? Don’t forget about reviews on your product page! 

To sum it all up, use visitor behavior to see what matters to your visitors. Your visitors may think that the black theme looks cool too, but they are tied up in other ways. When you see what they experience, you have new insight to grow your business. Lucky Orange has heatmaps, session recordings and more with a free trial (no credit card needed) and plans that start at US $10/month.

I hope this helps! Good luck!

Cheers - Danny

Proud to be a Shopify Plus Partner

- Was my response helpful? Click Like to let me know!
- Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution!

This is an accepted solution.

Hi @JuanG, I'm Richard - CRO Expert at PageFly Page Builder. First of all, congratulations on your store. So I've checked your store and I have some feedback on it, and I hope it helps. 

1. Add Sticky Header

I would suggest you use ONE sticky header. A sticky menu header helps customers to reach out to the menu and access the menu anytime they want. 

2. Shop Now button

Your Shop Now button is not aligned. I recommend you put it in the center of the banner. 

1.png

In this section, you should add the hovering effect to these collections. It helps customers realize and click to view them.

2.png

You should not use the long list like this in the section. Using pagination and Load more would be useful in terms of converting.

3.png

You can consider checking PageFly - Free Page Builder to create a more impressive look for your store to really increase conversion, also please take a look at this guide from PageFly, hope it helps!

If you think my answer was useful, please like and mark it as a solution. Thank you and best of luck!

CRO Expert at PageFly - Advanced Shopify Page Builder - Empowering 100.000+ active merchants.

Check our Evergreen List of Best Platforms To Sell Online.

JuanG
Tourist
8 0 2

Thank you for your reply! It was very helpful

0 Likes
JuanG
Tourist
8 0 2

Thanks for your reply with very descriptive note. I'm trying lucky orange. Can you give me a quote to do the work you outlined? try emailing me at juang906@gmail.com also, because i don't check here very often

0 Likes
EZOTHECEO
Tourist
16 0 2

hello can u give input on my store i did it myself i only made 800 in preorders is that good and how can i sell out therest of my tracksuits to begin mass production ineed help targeting the correct people.

this is my website www.ezodripz.com im currently workign on a movie to showcase storytelling deep immserive experience of my brand i strive to be the best i worked hard i havent sleep for weeks ive grown week but i have a desire that burns in me that keeps me up im to relenless and tenacious i really want to look at my shopify report and see people checking out constantly i will shock the world when i drop this movie. i strive to empower uplift and inspire everyone we all are destined for greatness i dont care for money but money will reach more people you can check my insagram as well i put my soul into this brand

0 Likes
JuanG
Tourist
8 0 2

Thanks for your feedback. can you do this work you recommended? my site is ; www.rootedattire.com 

JuanG_0-1630614582913.png

Shopify Partner
1047 141 341

Hey @JuanG,

Since you asked about the dark theme of your store, I'll give you my thoughts on that first and then I'll touch on a few other things that I think could be contributing to your lack of conversions.

0 Likes
AiTrillion
Shopify Partner
3990 237 722

Hello @JuanGThis is AiTrillion- an All-in-one Marketing Platform on Shopify. Here are few suggestions:

- I would suggest that white theme will enhance the look and visibility of your products. 

- On the homepage, you can add a collection section and display the options of countries.

- Also, add belt- t-shirts- caps option in the header. 

- Add a 'buy now' button below the 'add to cart' button. Don't leave the blank space below the buttons as shown in the below screenshot. 

AiTrillion_1-1630660177255.png

- On the homepage, give product recommendations and add a section of trending and new products. You can refer the below image. 

AiTrillion_0-1630660029899.png

- Other than this, add these tools in your store:

• Setup web push notifications in your store and it will help you in reaching your customers and visitors directly.
  • You can start giving loyalty points to your customers on different activities like signing up, visiting a store, making a purchase, allowing for push notifications, sharing or following on social media. This will help you to entice your customers and retain them. You can reward your customers in order to redeem those points. When you give points to them they will come again in the future to make a purchase in order to redeem those points. This encourages repeat purchases which increase sales and helps in retaining your customers.

• Add a newsletter sign-up popup with a discount code to entice customers to sign up and get a discount code on their first purchase. This will help you to capture more email addresses so you can target them later on via email campaigns.

To add the above marketing engagement tools to optimize the conversions of your store there are many apps available in the Shopify app store. Instead of installing multiple apps, you can install the all-in-one Shopify app AiTrillion and get all the benefits of marketing features in a single app to drive conversions. 

Hope this helps! 

Sachin D | Shopify Growth Expert @ AiTrillion

- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
- Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
- 10+ Years of eCommerce experience.
- 1400+ Stores Designed on Shopify.
- All in One Marketing App on Shopify AiTrillion Marketing Automation
- 13+ Shopify Apps launched on app store.
0 Likes